Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Tribute rough built?

Spoke

Hello fellow cork sniffers!

I have finally saved enough money to join you and bought myself a Gibson, only the Tribute though.

It took 7 weeks to ship it here to sweden, where i live due to the new Rosewood-ban that EU decided. But when i got it!! Beautiful guitar, clean, sounds amazing, plays like a hot knife cuts through butter. (my last guitar was a 50$ second hand epi with a slightly twisted neck.. Huge difference!)

Its just one little thing that bothers me, and i am slightly embarressed to tell you about it ..

The first inlay of the second fret looks like it been cut 1mm (0.03 inches) too much. I dont think it affects the playability at all but esthetically it really bothers me.

maybe its just me but i would love your thoughts about it, are gibson willing to fix this? Can i do something to cover it up descreetly? should i go to a shrink? Maybe this is acceptable on low-end Gibsons

Ill put down som picutres in the links below.

http://i.imgur.com/SPNSvRr.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/GxHFzng.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/t3cTglZ.jpg

Anyways feels good to be a Gibson owner, and i apologize for english and spelling. Happy Easter!

It's hard to tell from the pictures but is that an actual indentation to the side of the inlay? Or is it just a differently shaded part of the wood? Does it affect the playing? If you bend the string, does it catch? If it did, that's when I'd get it fixed or replaced. I think it would bug me too on a brand new guitar. You could call them and see what they say. It would really have to be someone who knew what they were doing (aka NOT Guitar Center) to fix it or replace it, I'd think. I'm no expert though.

Hi Spoke..

Rosewood is not a tight grained smooth wood surface to start with (Unlike ebony or maple which is a much denser/harder wood with a smoother surface)

What I see in your photos doesn't seem to be anything to really worry about. Looks to be just a small imperfection near where the trapezoid was installed. It seems to me to be 100% cosmetic and should not effect in anyway, the action/play-ability since your finger tips should actually never really hit the rosewood, unless you have a very heavy fretting hand. (which will just cause your guitar to play out of tune anyway).

IMHO a fretboard conditioner (like Guitar Honey) to hyrdate the rosewood about once every 6 months, or... roughly every other string change and you will most likely never have an issue with it.

Seems, by the photos, to be just a more porous grain area, and Not a manufacturing flaw.

Unless it really does effect playing, as mentioned, I doubt that after the "new" wears

off, you'd even notice it, anymore. Wood, especially looser grained wood, is never perfect.

If the fingerboard is "Dry," as they can tend to be on new guitars, just re-hydrate it,

and play the Heck out of it. With a new guitar, we all tend to "look" for things, to give

us "buyer's remorse!" LOL What's shown in your photos, should not elicit that, at all...IMHO.

But, that's just Me!

CB

I wouldn't worry about this small imperfection in the fingerboard. The inlay itself looks perfect (probably cut on a CNC machine anyway), if anything there is a little flaw in the rosewood right at that spot, but as long as you don't feel anything there when playing just let it be. You waited a long time to get your LP, and a long time for it to ship after you bought it - just play and enjoy. Not worth the hassle of returning, or paying someone to repair when there might not be much that can be done anyway.

Can you feel that?

If not, seriously, rethink your choice of hobby. You are in for a very long road if .03 inches means that much to you on an otherwise ok guitar.

rct

Don't worry about this - you will get used to it, it doesn't affect anything at all and you won't even notice it after a year or 2, except as an unique identification for your particular guitar.

With a blow up of the second pic, looks like the rosewood has some big pores or an area of defect/rot on the edge of the inlay route. Or possibly there was a knot that the worker tried to hide with the inlay but couldn't cover all of it. I can see the side edge of the inlay.

IMO that area should of had some filler applied, and if it was still that rough the fretboard should have been rejected by QC inspection.

If you don't want to deal with a return you might try a bit if the right color filler, or a bit or the right color crayon wax to fill the voids.

Its not a problem! i was just woundering how others would feel about it. I will see it (as mentioned) as a personal thing and i wont do anything about it but the idea of using a filler is reassuring! (ive seen it been used on floors and its pure magic.)

Really hate those people who treats their guitars as"case queens" guess i just became that person...

I'll play the **** out of this guitar and who knows.. maybe one day you all will buy a Spoke signature guitar with inlay damage ;)

Anyways, thank you for the thought-bounce, big love from sweden.

Archived