Gibson Brands Forums

Just putting this out there.

bayoubengal1954

Some of you may know that I live and work as a musician in New Orleans. It has occurred to me that one day you may find yourself visiting our crazy spot on this planet, and I wanted to let you know that I would love to meet up with y'all if you find the time. If I'm playing a gig I have a couple of venues where the vibe is such that I could even bring you up to play a song or two. If I'm not playing a gig, it would be fun to meet at a local establishment and hang.

If it ever is in the cards for you to come down send me a PM, or you can reach me through my website listed in my sig below!

Some of you may know that I live and work as a musician in New Orleans. It has occurred to me that one day you may find yourself visiting our crazy spot on this planet, and I wanted to let you know that I would love to meet up with y'all if you find the time. If I'm playing a gig I have a couple of venues where the vibe is such that I could even bring you up to play a song or two. If I'm not playing a gig, it would be fun to meet at a local establishment and hang.

If it ever is in the cards for you to come down send me a PM, or you can reach me through my website list in my sig below!

We live in Atlanta and visit our daughter in Houston regularly. Retired, we sort of visit and jam our way back and forth -- this time we stopped three days in Gulf Shores.

We always have guitars -- this time we have a 43 SJ RW, and a 35 Jumbo (these are prized Texas Fiddle backup instruments and when in Texas...) . And also an old Kay S-51 double bass, a 1930 Larson Brothers, and two banjos -- 25 Whyte Laydie and 37 RB-75. We don't travel light!

We are actually coming through next Monday -- you should be careful what you ask formsp_scared.gif. BUT alas we have to play a family wedding in FL -- so you can breathe. We will however be back -- and it is the sort of thing we do.

So here is the question -- what kind of music do you play? I'll check your web site.

Best,

-Tom

I could do the harp for sure. We don't often plug in (wife and I) -- we mostly do bluegrass, mountain folk and folk revival. Seems close enough to me.msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

We live in Atlanta and visit our daughter in Houston regularly. Retired, we sort of visit and jam our way back and forth -- this time we stopped three days in Gulf Shores.

We always have guitars -- this time we have a 43 SJ RW, and a 35 Jumbo (these are prized Texas Fiddle backup instruments and when in Texas...) . And also an old Kay S-51 double bass, a 1930 Larson Brothers, and two banjos -- 25 Whyte Laydie and 37 RB-75. We don't travel light!

We are actually coming through next Monday -- you should be careful what you ask formsp_scared.gif. BUT alas we have to play a family wedding in FL -- so you can breathe. We will however be back -- and it is the sort of thing we do.

So here is the question -- what kind of music do you play? I'll check your web site.

Best,

-Tom

I could do the harp for sure. We don't often plug in (wife and I) -- we mostly do bluegrass, mountain folk and folk revival. Seems close enough to me.msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

It would be great to meet up, Tom whenever you find yourselves in the City!

This is a most gracious invitation, Pat.

Thank you for that!

I have spent many happy times, over the years, in New Orleans.

Usually coming or going from shipping vehicles in and out of the military port, not too far from the French Quarter, at the bottom of Dauphine Street (SP?).

One time, I think this was in 1997, I was sitting in a bar with a good friend who had left the Army and was flying for the Coast Guard there in New Orleans.

We were catching up on old times, and enjoying a few beers and a laugh or two.

Two very attractive gals at a nearby table struck up a conversation with us, and we ended up joining tables with them.

It was just casual chat, and we bought them their drinks.

Bill and I weren't on the make or anything, so nothing was going to come of it. We were just being gentlemen, and standing the ladies a few cocktails.

At some point, the gals got up and went to the powder room together.

The bartender came over, wanted to know if we wanted another round, and we politely said, "Yes, please. And for the ladies too."

He nodded, wiped a nearby table, and then headed back to the bar.

Then he turned, and came back to our table.

He leaned in, and spoke, softly to Bill and I.

"They're dudes. You do know that, right?"

We blinked in amazement, and thanked him very kindly for the information.

I guess I had heard that there were more than a few cross-dressers and transexuals in New Orleans, but it never occurred to us that we we in the company of two of them.

And they were really pretty.

The ladies came back, idle chat resumed, and we all had a really nice afternoon of drinks and pleasant conversation.

When we all parted company later on, we paid up the bar tab, hugged the ladies goodbye, and everybody went their separate ways.

No sexual ovations, no propositions, nothing untoward, just some people enjoying a pleasant afternoon in a comfortable bar.

Only difference was, two helicopter pilot dudes paid for all the drinks, and two disturbingly-attractive dudes in sun dresses drank for free.

Life's funny that way.

:unsure:

This is a most gracious invitation, Pat.

Thank you for that!

I have spent many happy times, over the years, in New Orleans.

Usually coming or going from shipping vehicles in and out of the military port, not too far from the French Quarter.

One time, I think this was in 1997, I was sitting in a bar with a good friend who had left the Army and was flying for the Coast Guard there in New Orleans.

We were catching up on old times, and enjoying a few beers and a laugh or two.

Two very attractive gals at a nearby table struck up a conversation with us, and we ended up joining tables with them.

It was just casual chat, and we bought them their drinks.

Bill and I weren't on the make or anything, so nothing was going to come of it. We were just being gentlemen, and standing the ladies a few cocktails.

At some point, the gals got up and went to the powder room together.

The bartender came over, wanted to know if we wanted another round, and we politely said, "Yes, please. And for the ladies too."

He nodded, wiped a nearby table, and then headed back to the bar.

Then he turned, and came back to our table.

He leaned in, and spoke, softly to Bill and I.

"They're dudes. You do know that, right?"

We blinked in amazement, and thanked him very kindly for the information.

I guess I had heard that there were more than a few cross-dressers and transexuals in New Orleans, but it never occurred to us that we we in the company of two of them.

And they were really pretty.

The ladies came back, idle chat resumed, and we all had a really nice afternoon of drinks and pleasant conversation.

When we all parted company later on, we paid up the bar tab, hugged the ladies goodbye, and everybody went their separate ways.

No sexual ovations, no propositions, nothing untoward, just some people enjoying a pleasant afternoon in a comfortable bar.

Only difference was, two helicopter pilot dudes paid for all the drinks, and two disturbingly-attractive dudes in sun dresses drank for free.

Life's funny that way.

:unsure:

Ha! Just another afternoon in New Orleans. Great story.

That's right neighborly of you, Pat, and I agree that'd be fun. I flew in to your city from L.A. once, to meet this chick I "met" on the internet. (Yes, she was of legal age. rolleyes.gif) She was there for an academic conference, so she also lived elsewhere. Ended up marrying her not long after that, and your city played a part! Jeez, that was 18 years ago.....

That's right neighborly of you, Pat, and I agree that'd be fun. I flew in to your city from L.A. once, to meet this chick I "met" on the internet. (Yes, she was of legal age. rolleyes.gif) She was there for an academic conference, so she also lived elsewhere. Ended up marrying her not long after that, and your city played a part! Jeez, that was 18 years ago.....

I think we need more details on this story! [biggrin]

That would be awesome Pat.

I agree, Keith. When I owned a Larrivee, I was fairly active on the Larrivee forum. A guy I got to know from the forum from North Carolina (I actually ended up selling my Larrivee to him) came down for a visit and ended up sitting in on harmonica on two gigs and we had a great time. It would be great to do something like that with someone on this forum.

I agree, Keith. When I owned a Larrivee, I was fairly active on the Larrivee forum. A guy I got to know from the forum from North Carolina (I actually ended up selling my Larrivee to him) came down for a visit and ended up sitting in on harmonica on two gigs and we had a great time. It would be great to do something like that with someone on this forum.

Give us the actual scoop on owning and playing a Larrivee guitar, okay? They look like nice guitars with good value, but the players I've known who have owned them either all sold them (as you said you did, too) or didn't seem too interested in developing as musicians. What's the scoop on Larrivees?

Curious minds want to know.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Give us the actual scoop on owning and playing a Larrivee guitar, okay? They look like nice guitars with good value, but the players I've known who have owned them either all sold them (as you said you did, too) or didn't seem too interested in developing as musicians. What's the scoop on Larrivees?

Curious minds want to know.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

My Larrivee experience is not the norm, because my Larrivee was an unusual model only made in 1999 and 2000. It was a 12 fret Pete Anderson Signature (he played with Dwight Yoakum for a number of years) OM model with a sitka top and Maple B/S. It was a great guitar but I found that the maple small body guitar was just too bright sounding for my tastes. If it had mahogany b/s I would probably still own it.

https://artisanguitars.com/larrivee-pete-anderson-satin-finish-om-1999-flamed-maple-back-and-sides-id-5572

It occurred to me when you mentioned Dwight Yoakam's sideman - that " Norlins" (sorry I couldn't resist) must be a unique town for gigging. A melting pot of it's own unique music, overlaid by the expectations of those who visit there. So, what kind of music have you found works best when you're performing? What's the age/makeup of your audiences?

You never know what may happen , thanks for the invitation. My wifes Niece lives there so it is always a possibilty . New Orlens that is, Anne my wife and I have traveled throught there but have never visited Asheville I have always heard great things aboout the area.

It occurred to me when you mentioned Dwight Yoakam's sideman - that " Norlins" (sorry I couldn't resist) must be a unique town for gigging. A melting pot of it's own unique music, overlaid by the expectations of those who visit there. So, what kind of music have you found works best when you're performing? What's the age/makeup of your audiences?

Thanks for asking! I love living and playing here, but I have found that there are but a handful of venues here where Acoustic Roots Music (or Americana as some call it) works well. I lot of venues want the loud band where heavy drinking takes place. I'm 62 y/o and not into that anymore. I play four to five times a month at a place in the French Quarter (not on Bourbon Street...that can be a bit of a circus) as a solo or in a duo with a young woman who has a great voice and writes great songs, and four to five times a month at bar/restaurant on St. Charles in the Lower Garden District. Those gigs are heavy on covers with a mix of my own material, probably about 80% covers to 20% originals (I have a CD of my own stuff I sell at gigs). In order to supplement I travel to Baton Rouge, Lafayette and Lake Charles once a month for "Mini" tours. I do a lot of Prine, Cash, some Old School Country, Dylan, Guy Clark, some Rockabilly, 50's and 60's Rock, Blues and R&B. This being NOLA, I throw in a few Standards like Summertime, Misty, Scotch and Soda and Ain't Misbehavin .

At the French Quarter gig the age demographic is all over the map (age 21 to people in their 70's, a mix of locals and tourists). At the restaurant gig on St. Charles the crowd generally is older and there are more locals.

In Baton Rouge there are three nice listening rooms where I play a few times a year and there the audience is older and wants original material. Those are the more "artistic" shows. :)

I do about 16 to 20 shows a month.

You probably got a lot more of an answer than you wanted, I got on a roll. :)

New Orleans was my home away from home for many years. I was down there helping establish N.O Jazz National Historical Park at Louis Armstrong Park. Sure do miss Johnny's Po' Boys and The Magic Bus which was a great used music shop. One night I was down there I ran into Billy Gregory at I believe it was the 544 Club. I had first met him in the early 1970s he was with the band Its a Beautiful Day. He was now with the All Purpose Blues Band. Just a great flippin' guitar player. He did invite up on stage.

New Orleans was my home away from home for many years. I was down there helping establish N.O Jazz National Historical Park at Louis Armstrong Park. Sure do miss Johnny's Po' Boys and The Magic Bus which was a great used music shop. One night I was down there I ran into Billy Gregory at I believe it was the 544 Club. I had first met him in the early 1970s he was with the band Its a Beautiful Day. He was now with the All Purpose Blues Band. Just a great flippin' guitar player. He did invite up on stage.

You've got a great history down here, zw. Come on back! And Johnny's is still around on St. Louis Street.

Very nice invite, Pat. Not surprising that you or another regular in this forum would do this. This is pretty much the "personal touch" I've learned to expect and appreciate in this place. Goes right along with the all the home videos we get to see. You definitely make this a friendly and personal place. We actually kind of get-to-know the other folks in here.......You are a very gracious and decent guy. I truly appreciate people like yourself who frequent this forum. It's the primary reason I come here-----All these decent human beings who share their lives and music with Gibsons. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

You never know what may happen , thanks for the invitation. My wifes Niece lives there so it is always a possibilty . New Orleans that is, Anne my wife and I have traveled throught there but have never visited Asheville I have always heard great things aboout the area.

Do it sometime!

Very nice invite, Pat. Not surprising that you or another regular in this forum would do this. This is pretty much the "personal touch" I've learned to expect and appreciate in this place. Goes right along with the all the home videos we get to see. You definitely make this a friendly and personal place. We actually kind of get-to-know the other folks in here.......You are a very gracious and decent guy. I truly appreciate people like yourself who frequent this forum. It's the primary reason I come here-----All these decent human beings who share their lives and music with Gibsons. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Come on down and stay a spell.

Archived