Gibson Brands Forums

2016 SG Standard T with P-90s a poor product?

alfbell

Still working on figuring out what my first SG should be. I was pretty determined to get the 2016 SG Standard with P90s but then I read in a few places that the quality of the 2016 wasn't very good.

Any experienced/knowledgeable guitarists who bought 2016 SG Standards with P90s... is this true? Or is this nonsense and the 2016 with P90s is a fine guitar for the money and a good introductory SG for me?

Then I read some rave reviews about the 2017 Standard with '57 humbuckers having great quality with upgrades (locking Grovers, hard shell case) and a big improvement over the 2016 Standard. Gibson didn't come out with a P90 version of the SG Standard for 2017. DAMN!

So now I'm going back and forth between... going for the 2016 Standard with P90s ($1,000)... or, going for the 2017 Standard with humbuckers ($1,300) and then switching the humbuckers out for P90s... actually Gibson P94s ($330) or Seymour Duncan Phat Cats ($180). Either of those pickups can replace the humbuckers, and slip perfectly into place, without any needed modifications.

Any feedback or advice from anyone on my 2016 versus 2017 dilemma?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Alfred,

Don't have one of course, as we've been discussing these guitars in other threads, but I'd still check the 2016s so I could see for myself. (1k$ verses $1,500/1,600 with the 2017 + the hassle of swapping out pickups doesn't sound entirely necessary to me.)

There's really no way that you can lump one years production line verses another into "poor" to "great", for every 5 you'll look at, you'll probably find variances in all of them.

How this usually goes for every one unhappy buyer of a model years offering, there are 15 or 20 that are delighted with the same model. Some peoples expectations go well beyond where Gibson's QC bar is set and find the slightest little flaw eg: small finish imperfections, over spray, a minor problem w/hardware. Things that some people would never notice or find troubling.

You can probably find a nice used one if you're patient, maybe even a new one that some online store still has in stock.

Thanks kidblast. I'm going to have to venture down the mountain and do some long distance traveling to a few Guitar Centers so that I can try these out. If the 2016 looks, feels and plays well (and doesn't have any major quality flaws) I'll probably go with it... rather than the extra cost and hassle of getting the 2017 plus switching out the pickups. Although I will miss out on the locking Grover tuners and a hardshell case.

I have both the 2016 with p90s and a 2017 standard and I believe the 2017 is better at MSRP. The cost of upgrading the 2017 to P90s will be close to $300 with parts and labor. Your end price will be about $1599 plus tax on that 2017 with upgrades. A 2016 with P90s would need a case and to make it comparable, locking tuners. You are looking at $300 more to get to your apples to apples comparison. Factor in that the 2016 SG Standard with P90s is now $999 new, you are looking at saving $300 over the 2017 with P90s installed. I would go for the 2016 and get a case. It is a great guitar and in all honesty, the locking tuners are only slightly better. When you change pickups on a guitar, the resale goes down in general as well.

I have both the 2016 with p90s and a 2017 standard and I believe the 2017 is better at MSRP. The cost of upgrading the 2017 to P90s will be close to $300 with parts and labor. Your end price will be about $1599 plus tax on that 2017 with upgrades. A 2016 with P90s would need a case and to make it comparable, locking tuners. You are looking at $300 more to get to your apples to apples comparison. Factor in that the 2016 SG Standard with P90s is now $999 new, you are looking at saving $300 over the 2017 with P90s installed. I would go for the 2016 and get a case. It is a great guitar and in all honesty, the locking tuners are only slightly better. When you change pickups on a guitar, the resale goes down in general as well.

Megafrog: Cool. That is sort of what I've been thinking. I just told my buddy that my plan was to go to a Guitar Center or two, and try as many of the 2016s as they have out, and then negotiate to buy it for the current price of $999 but ONLY if they throw in a hard case.

I'm thinking that since 1) Gibson has lowered its prices over the last few years, plus 2) Guitar Center just reduced this 2016 from $1200 to $1000... that this is like spending $1,000 for a guitar that would normally be priced retail at around $1,500. The quality level would be pretty close to Fender's quality level for the 1958 Telecaster Reissue that they came out with a few years ago for $1,800 (which got rave reviews and a "Fender finally got it perfectly right on duplicating that original '58 vintage guitar.".

Megafrog: Cool. That is sort of what I've been thinking. I just told my buddy that my plan was to go to a Guitar Center or two, and try as many of the 2016s as they have out, and then negotiate to buy it for the current price of $999 but ONLY if they throw in a hard case.

I'm thinking that since 1) Gibson has lowered its prices over the last few years, plus 2) Guitar Center just reduced this 2016 from $1200 to $1000... that this is like spending $1,000 for a guitar that would normally be priced retail at around $1,500. The quality level would be pretty close to Fender's quality level for the 1958 Telecaster Reissue that they came out with a few years ago for $1,800 (which got rave reviews and a "Fender finally got it perfectly right on duplicating that original '58 vintage guitar.".

I don't think you will be disappointed. I have no complaints on my 2016 P90 and I picked mine up for 999 back in August when they were still 1200. It is a very nice guitar, I wouldn't get rid of it. I had a case for a broken SG Special that i use for my P90 so I didn't need a case. I hope you can get the deal you are looking for.

I don't think you will be disappointed. I have no complaints on my 2016 P90 and I picked mine up for 999 back in August when they were still 1200. It is a very nice guitar, I wouldn't get rid of it. I had a case for a broken SG Special that i use for my P90 so I didn't need a case. I hope you can get the deal you are looking for.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

You really can't go by model year, with Gibson it's hit and miss as far as " The " guitar so you really do have to base your decision on what your holding in your hands regardless of year or model...JMO mind you.

Archived