Gibson Brands Forums

CS 336

Twang Gang

Yup the back is rounded and carved. 

Twang Gang, I found this from a collector; similar story to rabs in fact - I got lucky and after searching endlessly for my first electric guitar, I landed on this. It was too good to pass on the opportunity at a reasonable price too, the condition was good and didnt care that it was used. 

The sound is so sweet, I plug in my headphones and can hear the 57 pickups really start singing, can't say im not happy with it!

On 4/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, merciful-evans said:

Yep. Its true. I just found this on ebay:

A 2001 ES-366 and this is the pic of the back

s-l500.jpg

Never seen that before.. So different..  I much prefer how they do them now... Or did for the last decade.... I do wonder if they will ever make any more? I guess doing it the above way would at least have made them a bit cheaper, but not really the same guitar.

On 4/24/2021 at 6:58 PM, Rabs said:

Never seen that before.. So different..  I much prefer how they do them now... Or did for the last decade.... I do wonder if they will ever make any more? I guess doing it the above way would at least have made them a bit cheaper, but not really the same guitar.

Its not the same. It might even sound different. I think its doubtful Gibson would reprise the old design.

Its kind of what I was expecting before I saw pictures of yours though. Only because its what I've seen before of routed back & side designs from Rickenbacker, PRS and Fender etc.

The carved back looks much nicer.

1 minute ago, merciful-evans said:

Its not the same. It might even sound different. I think its doubtful Gibson would reprise the old design.

Its kind of what I was expecting before I saw pictures of yours though. Only because its what I've seen before of routed back & side designs from Rickenbacker, PRS and Fender etc.

The carved back looks much nicer.

No I was talking about 336 s in general...  I wouldnt want them to go back to the prototype design, much nicer with a carved back with no plates on it...

Its one of the reasons I grabbed one when I could. If absolutely I knew they would be making more I may have waited to get a new one.. Not that I am bothered about having a second hand one. Its probably in a similar condition as it would be if I had owned it from new anyway... 🙂  But who knows with Gibson.. Its not like they give that information out either.

That old Gear Page discussion included comparisons between 336 and 339. I have a 339 so I was interested. Those that had played both said they found a difference in the sound. I also thought they were the same size, but one fellow said the 336 was slightly smaller. Everybody agreed that the 336 was lighter. I expect the maple centerblock on the 339 would account for that. 

On 4/23/2021 at 1:26 PM, merciful-evans said:

Yep. Its true. I just found this on ebay:

A 2001 ES-366 and this is the pic of the back

s-l500.jpg

Kind of hard to tell what exactly that is from just a back photo. If that's a tummy-tuck along the top edge rather than a reflection, and with the pick guard mount along the bottom it's a left-handed model. I don't recall ever seeing something called an ES-366, but there was an ES-346 - the Paul Jackson, Jr. model. In addition to the access panel on back, they had a smaller straight-pull headstock more like a PRS than a standard Gibson headstock. Though a small-bodied guitar and sized generally like the later CS-336/356 and ES-339/359, the ES-346 horns were a bit more flared and more "Mickey Mouse" shaped than the 336/356/339/359 - it looks a bit wider in the waist in many photos, but that may because I'm used to the 356 shape.

There WAS an earlier ES-336 before the CS-336 debuted in 2001 and replaced it, but I can't remember if it had an access panel on back. And, fwiw, though the weights vary a little from example to example, the contemporary (2001 to now) CS-336/356 and ES-339/359 models generally weigh from about 6.8 lbs to about 7.3 lbs despite their very different construction methods. And... they're all the same shape. The CS-336 and CS-356 are still available through the Made 2 Measure (i.e. special ordered and custom made) program as far as I know.

3 hours ago, clayville said:

Kind of hard to tell what exactly that is from just a back photo. If that's a tummy-tuck along the top edge rather than a reflection, and with the pick guard mount along the bottom it's a left-handed model. I don't recall ever seeing something called an ES-366, but there was an ES-346 - the Paul Jackson, Jr. model. In addition to the access panel on back, they had a smaller straight-pull headstock more like a PRS than a standard Gibson headstock. Though a small-bodied guitar and sized generally like the later CS-336/356 and ES-339/359, the ES-346 horns were a bit more flared and more "Mickey Mouse" shaped than the 336/356/339/359 - it looks a bit wider in the waist in many photos, but that may because I'm used to the 356 shape.

There WAS an earlier ES-336 before the CS-336 debuted in 2001 and replaced it, but I can't remember if it had an access panel on back. And, fwiw, though the weights vary a little from example to example, the contemporary (2001 to now) CS-336/356 and ES-339/359 models generally weigh from about 6.8 lbs to about 7.3 lbs despite their very different construction methods. And... they're all the same shape. The CS-336 and CS-356 are still available through the Made 2 Measure (i.e. special ordered and custom made) program as far as I know.

I think that was just a typing error  🙂 

You know it didint even occur to me to find out how much it would cost through the M2M program. But then in this Covid world and with shipping and all that.. Probably not worth it for me so much.

Also looking it up..  The CS336 is in the Gibson archive.. 

Gibson.com: Gibson Custom CS-336

Edited by Rabs

13 hours ago, Rabs said:

I think that was just a typing error  🙂 

Yep. That's right.

It makes more sense in the overall context of the exchange.

From those specs it looks like it is the same size as the other smaller ES's then. What I didn't know about was the 24" scale. That's a surprise. Perhaps that's what fooled that fellow.

Edited by merciful-evans

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

From those specs it looks like it is the same size as the other smaller ES's then. What I didn't know about was the 24" scale. That's a surprise. Perhaps that's what fooled that fellow.

Speaking of typos... that archived CS-336 spec in the link above has one at least in the way the archive presents it - the 336/356/339/359's are all 24.75" scale guitars in reality (standard Gibson scale).  (see here https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmfpzz4d9db3qmh/2006 Gibsom Custom Catalog.pdf?dl=0)

I forgot about the Pat Martino model too - generally a small-body semi, but a different single cutaway shape and with the straight-pull headstock.

Edited by clayville
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve just got mine last February. It is not easy to find one in any guitar shop in my country, it’s basically very rare. Finally when one was put on sale in the local community, I grab it. I can never ever imagine to own one since I read about 336 back in 01. 

Never had a Gibson, or any Gibson copy guitars in my life. Never really like Gibson after many times trying out LPs. I’m more of Fender guy. 

Once i played it…then get used to it… it’s the only one I played daily. The feel, the sound the beauty and the workmanship is superb…. 

F5C0697C-EBF3-466E-B400-E3519D42A736.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Today I took my son on a cross country trip to Nashville with one purpose: to go to the Gibson Garage and tell him to "choose one." At first I  thought he was going to hyperventilate. After hours of playing everything in the shop from LP Jr's to Murphy Lab LPs and ES 335s, he played the only CS 336 they had in the place and refused to put it down.  This was one of the greatest days in my life, and someday he'll remember it as one of his. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ozzymandias said:

Today I took my son on a cross country trip to Nashville with one purpose: to go to the Gibson Garage and tell him to "choose one." At first I  thought he was going to hyperventilate. After hours of playing everything in the shop from LP Jr's to Murphy Lab LPs and ES 335s, he played the only CS 336 they had in the place and refused to put it down.  This was one of the greatest days in my life, and someday he'll remember it as one of his. 

You sir, are an awesome dad! [thumbup]

Pretty darned cool place, isn't it? The one time I was there (opening day–June 9, 2021), I couldn't resist walking out with a new guitar, either. I got an SG with a Maestro Vibrola. 

Congrats to your son on the new guitar, and thanks for sharing this great story with us. 

Welcome to the Gibson Forums! 

Thanks folks.  Also thanks to the staff at Gibson Garage you all were great and it was awesome to buy the kiddo his forever guitar and attend the Garage Fest events the same week.  The 336 showed up today and to say the kid is excited is perhaps the greatest understatement ever.  

On 4/22/2017 at 12:38 AM, Rabs said:

Ohhh shweeeettt... Happy playing man.

A 336 is my most coveted guitar in the world.... Ive played a few.. They all played like butter and sounded amazing..

One day.. It will be mine 🙂

One day.

Wow.. I was looking back on these posts..  I actually made it mine. And then bought a second one  😄