Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I imagined the back would be flat being routed out, but it is carved by the look of Rabs 2nd pic.

Yup.. Carved back and top..

Honestly, such an awesome guitar....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup the back is rounded and carved. 

Twang Gang, I found this from a collector; similar story to rabs in fact - I got lucky and after searching endlessly for my first electric guitar, I landed on this. It was too good to pass on the opportunity at a reasonable price too, the condition was good and didnt care that it was used. 

The sound is so sweet, I plug in my headphones and can hear the 57 pickups really start singing, can't say im not happy with it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, merciful-evans said:

Yep. Its true. I just found this on ebay:

A 2001 ES-366 and this is the pic of the back

s-l500.jpg

Never seen that before.. So different..  I much prefer how they do them now... Or did for the last decade.... I do wonder if they will ever make any more? I guess doing it the above way would at least have made them a bit cheaper, but not really the same guitar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 6:58 PM, Rabs said:

Never seen that before.. So different..  I much prefer how they do them now... Or did for the last decade.... I do wonder if they will ever make any more? I guess doing it the above way would at least have made them a bit cheaper, but not really the same guitar.

Its not the same. It might even sound different. I think its doubtful Gibson would reprise the old design.

Its kind of what I was expecting before I saw pictures of yours though. Only because its what I've seen before of routed back & side designs from Rickenbacker, PRS and Fender etc.

The carved back looks much nicer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, merciful-evans said:

Its not the same. It might even sound different. I think its doubtful Gibson would reprise the old design.

Its kind of what I was expecting before I saw pictures of yours though. Only because its what I've seen before of routed back & side designs from Rickenbacker, PRS and Fender etc.

The carved back looks much nicer.

No I was talking about 336 s in general...  I wouldnt want them to go back to the prototype design, much nicer with a carved back with no plates on it...

Its one of the reasons I grabbed one when I could. If absolutely I knew they would be making more I may have waited to get a new one.. Not that I am bothered about having a second hand one. Its probably in a similar condition as it would be if I had owned it from new anyway... 🙂  But who knows with Gibson.. Its not like they give that information out either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That old Gear Page discussion included comparisons between 336 and 339. I have a 339 so I was interested. Those that had played both said they found a difference in the sound. I also thought they were the same size, but one fellow said the 336 was slightly smaller. Everybody agreed that the 336 was lighter. I expect the maple centerblock on the 339 would account for that. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2021 at 1:26 PM, merciful-evans said:

Yep. Its true. I just found this on ebay:

A 2001 ES-366 and this is the pic of the back

s-l500.jpg

Kind of hard to tell what exactly that is from just a back photo. If that's a tummy-tuck along the top edge rather than a reflection, and with the pick guard mount along the bottom it's a left-handed model. I don't recall ever seeing something called an ES-366, but there was an ES-346 - the Paul Jackson, Jr. model. In addition to the access panel on back, they had a smaller straight-pull headstock more like a PRS than a standard Gibson headstock. Though a small-bodied guitar and sized generally like the later CS-336/356 and ES-339/359, the ES-346 horns were a bit more flared and more "Mickey Mouse" shaped than the 336/356/339/359 - it looks a bit wider in the waist in many photos, but that may because I'm used to the 356 shape.

There WAS an earlier ES-336 before the CS-336 debuted in 2001 and replaced it, but I can't remember if it had an access panel on back. And, fwiw, though the weights vary a little from example to example, the contemporary (2001 to now) CS-336/356 and ES-339/359 models generally weigh from about 6.8 lbs to about 7.3 lbs despite their very different construction methods. And... they're all the same shape. The CS-336 and CS-356 are still available through the Made 2 Measure (i.e. special ordered and custom made) program as far as I know.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, clayville said:

Kind of hard to tell what exactly that is from just a back photo. If that's a tummy-tuck along the top edge rather than a reflection, and with the pick guard mount along the bottom it's a left-handed model. I don't recall ever seeing something called an ES-366, but there was an ES-346 - the Paul Jackson, Jr. model. In addition to the access panel on back, they had a smaller straight-pull headstock more like a PRS than a standard Gibson headstock. Though a small-bodied guitar and sized generally like the later CS-336/356 and ES-339/359, the ES-346 horns were a bit more flared and more "Mickey Mouse" shaped than the 336/356/339/359 - it looks a bit wider in the waist in many photos, but that may because I'm used to the 356 shape.

There WAS an earlier ES-336 before the CS-336 debuted in 2001 and replaced it, but I can't remember if it had an access panel on back. And, fwiw, though the weights vary a little from example to example, the contemporary (2001 to now) CS-336/356 and ES-339/359 models generally weigh from about 6.8 lbs to about 7.3 lbs despite their very different construction methods. And... they're all the same shape. The CS-336 and CS-356 are still available through the Made 2 Measure (i.e. special ordered and custom made) program as far as I know.

 

I think that was just a typing error  🙂 

You know it didint even occur to me to find out how much it would cost through the M2M program. But then in this Covid world and with shipping and all that.. Probably not worth it for me so much.

Also looking it up..  The CS336 is in the Gibson archive.. 

Gibson.com: Gibson Custom CS-336

Edited by Rabs
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rabs said:

I think that was just a typing error  🙂 

 

Yep. That's right.

It makes more sense in the overall context of the exchange.

From those specs it looks like it is the same size as the other smaller ES's then. What I didn't know about was the 24" scale. That's a surprise. Perhaps that's what fooled that fellow.

Edited by merciful-evans
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

From those specs it looks like it is the same size as the other smaller ES's then. What I didn't know about was the 24" scale. That's a surprise. Perhaps that's what fooled that fellow.

Speaking of typos... that archived CS-336 spec in the link above has one at least in the way the archive presents it - the 336/356/339/359's are all 24.75" scale guitars in reality (standard Gibson scale).  (see here https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmfpzz4d9db3qmh/2006 Gibsom Custom Catalog.pdf?dl=0)

I forgot about the Pat Martino model too - generally a small-body semi, but a different single cutaway shape and with the straight-pull headstock.

Edited by clayville
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...