Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Bonamassa

IanHenry

I don't think anyone can dispute Joe B's virtuosity, or the fact that he seems to be a real decent, down to earth, fellow.

But (for me, and I only speak for me), so far, his own music and personal "Live" performance style, just doesn't do much,

for me. I think there is some validity, in the idea that "The Blues" has been over-saturated, of late. Everyone, and their

mother, is playing "The Blues" these days! And, don't get me wrong, I LOVE The Blues, as much, or more, than anyone.

Yet, even I feel like it may have reached that point. I think I'll always love "blues," and will always play (some, anyway) for

as long as I can still play. But, maybe(?) BB, EC, Stevie Ray, and some already mentioned other players, already took it

to it's pinnacle, for now? Maybe we need a "break," and then for it to catch fire, once again, a bit later?

I don't know...just a thought! [razz]

As for "Rock?" IMHO, it's been in a "Wanker" state, for a LONG time, now. But, that's just me!

[unsure][tongue][biggrin]

CB

if blues is over cooked, and rock is waxing in a wanker state, I may as well just climb a cliff and jump off.. there's no where for me to go! :)

Anyways, actually,,.. Pippy hit on it,

If you span the body of his work, (I have) from early to recent, you may see he's no one trick pony.

Look up a band named Black Country Communion, the line up here was Joe B, Glenn Hughes (yea, from Deep Purple's second incarnation with Coverdale-- Burn, Storm Bringer era and on until Blackmore left), Jason Bonham (I think we ALL know who his dad was) and the key player from Dream Theater (name escapes me).

The first 2 albums were (IMO) brilliant, the third one, (After Glow) meh-- didn't do much for me, I think Glenn Hughes was a bit heavy handed on that one in the writing, and he's voice just annoys the crap out of me,, this wound up being their last album, for more than just that reason. Glenn Hughes also has a bit of a tude, and Joe and Glenn had a falling out.. IMO Glenn's loss, Bonamassa took off like a rocket after that.

you may also find a few of his other solo works interesting Ballad of John Henry, Black Rock, Different Shades Of Blue Driving Towards The Daylight, all preceding Blues of Desperation which I think was NOT his best work in recent years - Different Shades Of Blue wins that award to me. All of these done at a span of about 1 a year it seemed. While each album in it's entirety isn't going to blow any ones head off from track one to the end, (who's doing THAT these days?)

There are some very well crafted and excellently produced songs in each. Find the gems, cuz they are there.

For another side, you could check out some of his acoustic live performances, which has some flat out mind blowing performances.

Now I will say it'd be easy to lump the guy into the same cliche as SRV, and "just another due over cooking the blues" if all you've listen to a few cuts that have made air play. well fine.. so Be it. As I said at the outset, to each their own, but honestly with the pure s-h-i-t-e that is being called music today, this... NOT s-h-i-t-e... maybe you're up for another Lady Gaga or Bruno Mars, or how bout another Rolling Stones Album--- if that stuff aint char broiled to well done, I don't know wtf is.. but, hey you're dig! that's great.. really you can keep it.. - I think that stuff is el-crap-oh, I can't listen to the stones for 3 minutes with out reaching for the kill switch,, never could stand them. (but hey THAT'S ME! not what I like, right?)

Just sayin, many of you I guarantee, have never listened to anything other than what the top 40 circle jerk is feeding you, and yep.. I'd probably be belching on some of it too.

That's it.. I'm done, I'm off my soap box...

So what does a guy like Joe B do? He's spent his whole life practising, plays incredible guitar, does everything he has to 24/7 in order to further the career, has accomplished an awful lot already etc etc.....and even now - he can play rings round any of us - it seems he still can't get through from many of the comments here....what more could he do? What could anybody do?

The thing is, I agree; I saw JB the 1st time he sold out Shepherds Bush. Too loud for me (yes I'm too old now) and every guitar he played sounded the same.

I'm not interested in his recordings, or any of the other young blues guns. Why?

1) Too much guitar. Remember those old records where the guitar solo was the good bit which suddenly cut loose in the middle (but there wasn't much else other than a few fills otherwise)? And ONE keyboard or ONE slightly out-of-tune rhythm guitar?

2) The drums are too accurate and hard-hitting. Drummers used to slow or speed up fractionally (even Steve Gadd) and occasionally make mistakes. And they didn't nail every beat down or go into every corner as hard and loud as possible either.

Blues drummers in the 50s and early 60s often went slightly sideways or into the area between swing and straight 4-on-the-floor.

3) "Heroic" rock/blues. I'm not saying JB does this.

The combination of these 3 things is often in a power trio (SRV style). It's more economically viable than bigger groups and so has been done to death. IMO.

Must also note that similar to what has been said here about JB was once said about Al Di Meola, to name one other....

Good thread!

I think he's pretty good and I've liked a few songs I've heard and didn't care for a couple but I'm that way with a lot of bands and musicians. As far as him playing rings around any of us, I don't think that's necessarily true. There's a lot of really skilled musicians in the world and I'm fairly certain there's some right here on the forums. He had a good teacher, obviously. And having family in the industry certainly helps. But, he's the one that picked up the guitar and played the hell out of it to get where he is. Good for him, seriously. I'd rather it have been me but he had to have worked hard to get where he is and stay there, unlike quite a few of one hit wonders out there.

I'm with jdgm though. I like my blues a little more raw and not so perfect. And, I'm definitely with kidblast because if rock is dead, and there's no blues, I'm heading towards the same cliff. I've not been able to stand pop music for decades and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, with few exceptions. My Sirius radio is almost always on blues, classic rock or some kind headbanging metal. Rap and electronic pop makes my brain ache and I'll either turn it off or tune it out when possible. I'd much rather hear Joe and others who can actually sing and play their instrument than someone who can only talk (aka rap) and "play music" using a computer.

My 2 cents, I saw him live back when The Ballad of John Henry just came out. I had not heard the LP but loved every tune he played and he did the whole album plus his Led Zeppelin tribute. He rocked the house and blew me away. Now a lot has happened since then and it must hard to be mind blowing good everytime you play, for years. Maybe he does need a break and come back fresh. In any case I got lots of respect for the guy... Yeah I hear a lot of other great players riffs in his stuff but he makes it his own or at least he used to...

Archived