Gibson Brands Forums

Heartbreaking songs

JuanCarlosVejar

I'm not a huge Rolling Stones fan but for me, Angie.. One of the most heart wrenching songs I've ever heard.

and thanks for posting that Cat Stevens songs, he's one of my all time favorite composer/performers.

K,

The Stones are a favorite band of mine ...Their blend of rock and roll,blues and country is amazing to me.Always enjoyed the way they put great gibson acoustics to use .Saw them live in 2015 and it was amazing.

Keef played a 1965 Martin 00 21 on You Got The Silver ...Ronnie backed him on a 50's J 200 with double pickguards.For You Can't Always Get What You Want Mick broke out his 60's Cherryburst Hummingbird .Last Year I went to London to see the Stones Exhibit at the Saatchi Gallery and on display was Mick's blonde 1963 Hummingbird on which he wrote : Sweet Virginia, Sympathy for the devil ,Dead Flowers, You Can't Always Get What You Want and I am sure many more.Needless to say that guitar was my favorite piece of the whole exhibit.

As far as Cat Stevens ...I was supposed to see him at the Beacon Theatre in NY last September ...My flight was cancelled for unkown reasons 30 minutes before boarding and It was not rescheduled until the show was over.So I lost a bunch of money (no reimbursement for the show ticket or for being a no show at my hotel).

He will be playing again this year in Australia and New Zealand... So I purchased a ticket to see him in Auckland on December 13th.

I hope lightning does not strike twice and I am able to see his show this time around.

JC

So sorry for your heartache, JC. Try these for size:

Jackson Browne - For A Dancer

Ryan Adams - How Do You Keep Love Alive?

Chris Whitley - Hotel Vast Horizon

Emmylou Harris - Boulder To Birmingham

Townes Van Zandt - Snow Don't Fall

Mercury Rev - The Dark Is Rising

Phil Ochs - No More Songs

Joni Mitchell - Amelia

Robert Wyatt - Sea Song

Just a few to start with.::

So sorry for your heartache, JC. Try these for size:

Jackson Browne - For A Dancer

Ryan Adams - How Do You Keep Love Alive?

Chris Whitley - Hotel Vast Horizon

Emmylou Harris - Boulder To Birmingham

Townes Van Zandt - Snow Don't Fall

Mercury Rev - The Dark Is Rising

Phil Ochs - No More Songs

Joni Mitchell - Amelia

Robert Wyatt - Sea Song

Just a few to start with.::

I love your choice Jinder especially Joni Michell's Amelia and Jackson Browne's. For a Dancer,his Fountain of Sorrow is good too there is a certain bit of magic in that song.

Sorry for your pain, buddy...

It's too late-Carole King

If you could read my mind-Lightfoot

If she were you-Steve Goodman (I still can't get through this one w/out choking up)

A whole lot of Otis Redding

This does it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8cQFdFezXc

Kate opened for the group I worked with then when we did a week at Gerde's Folk City in the Village back in 1971. Just her, a piano, and that sweet tiny voice that could melt your heart.

The house sound system wasn't that good, so I mic'd her through our own board and sound system, and ran it for her. Folk City has a tiny back room--might seat 50 people--but a bar that could be noisy up front, especially when Van Ronk was carrying on. The piano barely needed anything in that small room, but her voice seemed frail as a bird.

Can't remember if Kate and Anna had recorded this yet at that point, but she played it every night, and it damn near broke my heart every time I heard it. It still does.

I love your choice Jinder especially Joni Michell's Amelia and Jackson Browne's. For a Dancer,his Fountain of Sorrow is good too there is a certain bit of magic in that song.

Fountain Of Sorrow is exquisite isn't it? Just thinking about that first verse gives me goosebumps. The whole Late For The Sky album is perfection.

This does it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8cQFdFezXc

Kate opened for the group I worked with then when we did a week at Gerde's Folk City in the Village back in 1971. Just her, a piano, and that sweet tiny voice that could melt your heart.

The house sound system wasn't that good, so I mic'd her through our own board and sound system, and ran it for her. Folk City has a tiny back room--might seat 50 people--but a bar that could be noisy up front, especially when Van Ronk was carrying on. The piano barely needed anything in that small room, but her voice seemed frail as a bird.

Can't remember if Kate and Anna had recorded this yet at that point, but she played it every night, and it damn near broke my heart every time I heard it. It still does.

Love this story, Nick-what a priceless memory to hold.

Tom just posted this over at Guild. Let's just say, I was affected.

[video=youtube;OA2pV_9EcTk]

Many's the time I've been mistaken

And many times confused

Yes, and often felt forsaken

And certainly misused

But I'm all right, I'm all right

I'm just weary to my bones

Still, you don't expect to be

Bright and bon vivant

So far away from home, so far away from home

And I don't know a soul who's not been battered

I don't have a friend who feels at ease

I don't know a dream that's not been shattered

or driven to its knees

But it's all right, it's all right

We've lived so well so long

Still, when I think of the road

we're traveling on

I wonder what went wrong

I can't help it, I wonder what went wrong

And I dreamed I was dying

And I dreamed that my soul rose unexpectedly

And looking back down at me

Smiled reassuringly

And I dreamed I was flying

And high up above my eyes could clearly see

The Statue of Liberty

Sailing away to sea

And I dreamed I was flying

We come on the ship they call the Mayflower

We come on the ship that sailed the moon

We come in the age's most uncertain hour

and sing an American tune

But it's all right, it's all right

You can't be forever blessed

Still, tomorrow's going to be another working day

And I'm trying to get some rest

That's all I'm trying to get some rest

Edit:I will also be retiring my Sj 200 TV and Hummingbird TV

Hi JuanCarlos

Please don't abandon your Hummingbird. Remember, I have her twin sister and she's too good a guitar to stop playing her.

I've been using songs as a kind of therapy these last two years as a way to work through my feelings. It's very painful, but with each song you internalize, you come closer to accepting what has hapoened. Plus, you really learn how to put a lot of feeling into your music.

Good luck

Anne

Archived