Gibson Brands Forums

Flat Earth

Mr. Gibson

...in the absence of gravity or any other shaping force to act on, the objects tend to occupy maximum area or volume possible and a circle has maximum area of all shapes for given dimensions and same is for disk and sphere. ..

This sentence contradicts what I was taught in the physics lab.

I was taught that their tendency would be to occupy the least area / volume possible.

Nevertheless it still says;

"...in the absence of gravity....objects tend to occupy maximum area or volume and...maximum area (ergo volume) is (a) sphere."

Which means without gravity a three dimensional object will still have a tendency to become spheroid.

Oddly enough what the quoted sentence most closely describes on Earth (as far as my lessons were concerned) is the theoretical behaviour of a superfluid as Absolute Zero is reached. My teachers made it plain that no-one knew with certainty what would happen if that situation were to arise as it went beyond all (then current) knowledge.

I've just had a quick google and the closest we have yet reached to absolute zero (0 K = -273.15 Celsius) is 0.0000000001 Kelvin.

By contrast the average temperature of the Universe (I've just read) is a rather balmy 2.73 K so even in deepest space there will still be some thermodynamic effects to take into consideration...

Pip.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The net is wrong on that count. It says all naturally occuring objects are round. Of course they're not. Take you and me. I'm somewhat round but not entirely where by comparison you're far less round. In fact, the vast majority of naturally occuring objects are not round.

Pippy is right, the reason water droplets are round is due to surface tension exerting a uniform force.

But we are made up of mostly round things.. Our bones, veins, blood cells.. all circular... Necks, arms, legs fingers all circular or tubular is probably a better word.

What other things in nature arnt round???

The only thing I can think of are crystalline structures... and im sure there will be a good reason for that...

And im not actually arguing.. im not that smart... But I cant think of anything else that isn't in one way or another round in shape.

Will you also grow a hippy beard and talk like Kermit the frog?

:)

😄About as much chance of ME doing that as there'd be of adding something substantive to this technical discussion. We Sasquatches are more artistic than scientific - 😂 -

This is what the net says;

"objects tend to occupy maximum area or volume possible. And circle has maximum area of all shapes for given dimensions and same is for disk and sphere."

This sentence has been nagging at me...

Unless I'm missing something fundamental here - and my days spent studying this stuff are four decades in the past so it is very possible - the above statement appears to be demonstrably flawed.

If we take three basic three-dimensional geometric forms - a sphere, a cylinder and a cube - and give them all the same mass (volume) of, say, 16 units cubed we find;

Sphere radius 1.5633 units; Vol 16 units cubed; Surface Area = 30.71 units squared.

Cylinder radius 1.501 units & height 2.26 units; Vol 16 units cubed; Surface Area = 35.47 units squared.

Cube edge length 2.52 units; Vol 16 units cubed; Surface area = 38.1 units squared.

i.e. in this target sample the sphere has the least surface area for any given mass (volume); not the most.

In practical terms consider a car's radiator core (or, indeed, any heat-sink). It's designed to offer maximum surface area (for cooling purposes) for a relatively small mass of material.

Where am I going wrong?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

This sentence has been nagging at me...

Unless I'm missing something fundamental here - and my days spent studying this stuff are four decades in the past so it is very possible - the above statement appears to be demonstrably flawed.

If we take three basic three-dimensional geometric forms - a sphere, a cylinder and a cube - and give them all the same mass (volume) of, say, 16 units cubed we find;

Sphere radius 1.5633 units; Vol 16 units cubed; Surface Area = 30.71 units squared.

Cylinder radius 1.501 units & height 2.26 units; Vol 16 units cubed; Surface Area = 35.47 units squared.

Cube edge length 2.52 units; Vol 16 units cubed; Surface area = 38.1 units squared.

i.e. in this target sample the sphere has the least surface area for any given mass (volume); not the most.

In practical terms consider a car's radiator core (or, indeed, any heat-sink). It's designed to offer maximum surface area (for cooling purposes) for a relatively small mass of material.

Where am I going wrong?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

You're not. As far as i can tell the entire paragraph was the opposite of reality. I wonder if it was a joke.

1493156293[/url]' post='1851587']

Just don't demean Sasquatch😠

Sasquatch is more of a reality than flat earth. Even here in North Dakota they've had a recent sighting, you should be able to see the news report on the Internet. A lot of credible evidence over the years. A lady in Idahoe ran into a deer recently who claims it was being chased by Sasquatch. I can't call anybody a liar if I don't know the real truth.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the world were flat, all the cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.

I got no horse in this dogfight, but man I laughed at this!

rct

• 1 month later...

If the Earth was flat, with the Earth traveling through space, a giant space dog will come along some day and catch us like a Frisbee.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was talking to a friend about it and this is what I thought of this time. The things that go through my mind...

Is the Earth flat?

Not knowledgeable on how to copy stuff, but saw a post on FB the other day that said "If the earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now" or something to that effect, with a pic of a cat pushing stuff off the edge of a "flat" earth. [laugh]

Archived