Gibson Brands Forums

the un official what are you learning right now thread

american cheez

Re-learning the solos for Mr. Crowley by Ozzy/Randy Rhoads last weekend. I first learned them back in the mid 80's and played the song with a few bands back in the day. The song itself, I can remember and remember most of the solos so I'm working on getting those down again just for fun. I finished re-learning Revelation: Mother Earth, also by Ozzy/Randy recently and have it down pretty well. Recently worked on Cold Shot by SRV, White Room and Crossroads by Cream and have those down. I'm kind of going back and forth between blues, classic rock and metal, just to change things up from time to time. And, I've been working on setting up my new-ish Les Paul. I think I have it where I want it. String action is fairly low, no fret buzz, plays and sounds awesome. And, in the midst of all that, I've been researching guitars and pickups. Back in the 80's, I would buy a guitar and throw a DiMarzio in it and done. We didn't have the research capability of the internet back then, so hearing the different tones of different pickups in different guitars has been educational. I'm trying to decide if my next guitar is going to have PAF's or P90's. I'm leaning towards the P90 simply because I don't have a guitar with them. I'm really getting into learning about the hardware of the guitar and amps. Before, I always paid someone to do it.

There are a few songs I need to still learn or finish learning the solos but since Deb and I are heading to a concert tonight featuring The Beach Boys and Temptations I'm going to learn The Little Deuce Coupe next since our Grandson just loves the guitar and Race Cars.

Doing a new project, taking some electronic 80s music and making acoustic versions of them... Working on "Situation" by Yazoo and "Don't You Want Me Baby" by Human League but thats just for me... Learning "My Baby Don't Care" by Nina Simone for the band. I'm also adapting one of my originals, a ballad, I'll be performing for my vocal school's student showcase. The girl singing the duet with me is in my band and also takes voice at the same academy as I do... Keeping busy [cool]

My wife/kids/in-laws chipped in and gave me a Tenor Uke a few weeks ago when I turned 1 million,, errr. I mean 60.. So I'm plugging away at that. it's a happy sounding lil thing.

They also gave me an F-Style mandolin (which is something I've wanted to learn to play for a while now) it's been on back order, and due in some time in early May.

so far, the uke is pretty fun, pretty compatible (but different) with chord shapes. had to put a few strap pins on it, holding it with your fore-arm while trying to play just wasn't gonna work.. just silly it didn't come with these from the mfgr. I have a few dozen hanging around, (ha! with felt washers!!) took me like 5 minutes to do the deed.

dude - that song fools alot of people. playing along to the mp3 in your living room is not too hard, but i can guarantee few people on this forum have seen it performed well by a bar band. it's a really difficult song for a band to get "right". i don't even know why. but in the 35+ years i can remember, i have only seen one bar band ever do that song properly.

Just trying to figure an open G version for this one to make my now-funky left hand sufficiently functional on a cupla pieces.

This piece should work well enough that way, and it fits the time and place, especially since we had about a foot of snow early this week... and the buffalo grass is doin' pretty well, been hearing geese and when driving, watching out for elk, deer and even antelope.

Kid... Only 60? "Kid" is right! <grin>

m

Right now I am watching a vid on how to play the intro solo to "noone like you", by the scorpions. That first note, high e string bent to a on the 15th fret might require a lighter gauge string...i use 10's. Always loved this solo and song

Right now I am watching a vid on how to play the intro solo to "noone like you", by the scorpions. That first note, high e string bent to a on the 15th fret might require a lighter gauge string...i use 10's. Always loved this solo and song

you COULD pull off that bend using 10's. lots of folks do. i prefer 9's myself but 10s will work too.

also, i really dig mathias jabbs and rudy schenker. you picked a good song to learn. i saw the scorpions last summer, and was blown away at how good they were live, even still.

Working on my picking hand, i.e., my right hand. I mean, I alternate-pick just about every note, and metalhead that I am I'm good at "chugga-da-DAAH!-chugadachuggada-DUM-wrrr-DAH! DAH-DADARADAH!" and so on, but I'm not as fluent in alternate picking when I solo.

Which is almost a surprise. My right hand had a LOT of practice growing up.

you COULD pull off that bend using 10's. lots of folks do. i prefer 9's myself but 10s will work too.

also, i really dig mathias jabbs and rudy schenker. you picked a good song to learn. i saw the scorpions last summer, and was blown away at how good they were live, even still.

Those two are seriously underrated. Together, amazing. I think jaabs is the best live player of the many I have seen in my 49 years best solo live, (live not youtube)_

Working on my picking hand, i.e., my right hand. I mean, I alternate-pick just about every note, and metalhead that I am I'm good at "chugga-da-DAAH!-chugadachuggada-DUM-wrrr-DAH! DAH-DADARADAH!" and so on, but I'm not as fluent in alternate picking when I solo.

Which is almost a surprise. My right hand had a LOT of practice growing up.

HA.

I am doing that up/down rhythm as much as possible using a basic drum beat and working on just playing the one string then the chords i try to skip a measure of chords just to ensure my timing and accuracy with that one string only and it takes time i think ill have to do this practice often and im mixing up the 16ths then changing the beat for blues to do the 123123123123 up down picking starting on down then on 2 is up you know da da da 2 da da, then im starting on up pick so i dont get stuck only able to do one way. it is a whole lot easier if i space out then if i try real hard...i think the tension of trying is what messes me up. good luck

Archived