Gibson Brands Forums

They are listening to you.

LarryUK

For a while now I've been saying that our phones and computers are listening to us even when we're not using them.

Yesterday while at work I was talking to someone about farting. How it's just a natural bodily function. Then I said that holding them in is bad for you.

I've gone on Facebook this morning and look...

fart_zpsxdm9lb2t.jpg

It can't be coincidence as a month or so back I was driving back from a funeral and someone in the car asked about what happens when you are cremated. So I explained it to her (I was an undertaker for 8 years).

The next day I had a video pop up on my YouTube page about what happens when you're cremated.

My brother has had it too. Surely this can't be coincidence?

Guest Farnsbarns

The fact you insist it can't be coincidence explains it as far as I'm concerned. Clearly it can. Not saying it is, just saying it's not impossible.

Let me ask you something, just for fun. If I roll a dice 6 times what's more likely...

?

Edit:btw that farting thing has been doing the rounds on face book this week. I've seen at least 6 people share it. It's just the in share.

It's amazing how quickly all this happens. Last week I was looking to buy a part for our 1969 washing machine, and I'm sure I went to a dozen sites in less than an hour. I then refreshed my facebook page and there were ads for appliance parts along the edge and even 'suggested sites' (or whatever it was) about appliance parts.

Guest Farnsbarns

It's amazing how quickly all this happens. Last week I was looking to buy a part for our 1969 washing machine, and I'm sure I went to a dozen sites in less than an hour. I then refreshed my facebook page and there were ads for appliance parts along the edge and even 'suggested sites' (or whatever it was) about appliance parts.

That definitely happens. You can disable cookies if it bothers you. Personally​ I think I'd rather see ads I might like on Facebook than randomly presented ones but I do understand the objection

I was surprised to learn that when someone (in a call centre, say) on the other end of the 'phone says "I'll just put you on hold" the audio-line from my side can still be heard by the person on the other end if they so wish; it is NOT necessarily on mute as I had previously imagined it to be.

Let me ask you something, just for fun. If I roll a dice 6 times what's more likely...

Each of those specific sequences of numbers is as likely as the others.

Pip.

My life is so mundane that I feel sorry for the poor soul that has to listen any of my conversations.

"Listening" can happen when using your computer browser...

"Because cookies are always sent back to the site that originated them, an advertiser's cookie will be sent back to them from every web site you visit that is also using that same advertiser. This allows the advertiser to track the sites you visit, and send targeted advertising based on the types of sites that you visit.

This does not mean that advertisers can read the cookies from the web site you are visiting—they can only read their own cookies, but because the advertising Javascript is embedded in the page, they will know the URL you are visiting."

http://lifehacker.com/5461114/fact-and-fiction-the-truth-about-browser-cookies

I think some have missed my point. I wasn't on the net. My conversation yesterday was between my customer and me. My phone was in my hand. Just like the funeral conversation. I didn't type anything. What I'm saying is our devices are listening to us even when we're not using them.

Guest Farnsbarns

I was surprised to learn that when someone (in a call centre, say) on the other end of the 'phone says "I'll just put you on hold" the audio-line from my side can still be heard by the person on the other end if they so wish; it is NOT necessarily on mute as I had previously imagined it to be.

Each of those specific sequences of numbers is as likely as the others.

Pip.

That's a very old telesales trick. Wanna know where the customer is in the buying cycle? Ask to put them on hold, hit mute, listen to them tell the people around them exactly what they think.

Cookies,, the root of (almost) all evil.

fart_zpsxdm9lb2t.jpg

I wonder if this is the same animator who does "Archer"? :-k

As far as the "listening". I'm not disputing the possibility that our devices can listen to us. I just can't imaging that real people monitor the billions of conversations going on every day. It would have to be some kind of bot, right?

I wonder if this is the same animator who does "Archer"? :-k

As far as the "listening". I'm not disputing the possibility that our devices can listen to us. I just can't imaging that real people monitor the billions of conversations going on every day. It would have to be some kind of bot, right?

I agree. Certain words trigger an ad being sent to you.The culprit? Google.

All sounds very plausible to this crusty old a$$hole. Had to laugh about being listened to while "on hold" w/a phone call - if that happens to me, I guess I'll be getting ads from places that target the hopelessly profane😂

For a while now I've been saying that our phones and computers are listening to us even when we're not using them......It can't be coincidence as a month or so back I was driving back from a funeral and someone in the car asked about what happens when you are cremated. So I explained it to her (I was an undertaker for 8 years).

The next day I had a video pop up on my YouTube page about what happens when you're cremated.

My brother has had it too. Surely this can't be coincidence?

No I have had it explained to me today, seen it with my own eyes and it is completely true.

Phones with Android on have an app called (Google) Voice Search and (I think) you have to delete it to disable it.

Of course this is an outrageous invasion of privacy but...it's not, because by using Android you have agreed to the terms and conditions. I think.....

I'm very ignorant of mobile phone tech and have just had to change mine, which I got in 2003; a mate came round this afternoon and spent an hour going through the new one with me.

My 1st tutorial....because a valve-driven techno-klutz like me needs it. Now (I think) I can make a call, add people to my contacts and a few other things.

Plus I can walk around looking at it like everyone else does.

I'm so happy.

Archived