Gibson Brands Forums

Triad

j45nick

Then we'd never have had this discussion... :)

it's probably worth noting that when these songs were penned, and probably recorded, probably safe to assume that at least some of those times, these guys were tripping their brains out, so anything probably sounded fantastic!

I'd say that was very safe to assume

But Dylan wasn't sober with blonde on blonde. The doors certainly weren't , the stones ... this could be a huge list.

And I guess it would be easy to pick on some of those also. Morrisons lyrics , they're a source of merriment for some ...

as is known it's all horses for courses.

I didn't word my first post extremely well , was merely enjoying the song on the radio and then it gets to that line 'jut sigh' and it was a pin in the balloon.

There's always 4 and 20 to cheer me up again

And hey , they're all better than any song I've never written !!

Keep yer freak flags flying boys

Hmm. That's patronising.

Em7 wasn't there , he gets it 😐

I wish I hadn't opened me mouth now 😂

Didn't mean for it to come off that way - I meant it in all honesty. Thing is, I believe it can be difficult (sometimes) to connect with song lyrics that strike a chord (aw, damn, I hope the pun police aren't on duty) with people who lived in and experienced - there's a difference - the context of the times when they were written. Would I have written that particular line? Likely not - my expression tends to have a harder edge. But, when I first heard that line, it hit me that - in the midst of all the political, generational, and familial conflicts that were raging at the time - that was EXACTLY what was missing. We had so much (and so little) faith, so much (and so little) love, and so much (and so little) tolerance that the notion of looking at it all with a sigh and lending some trust to the reciprocal love that everyone talked about, but nobody honestly seemed to credence, might rescue our collective sanity. All that probably sounds like total BS, but when I suggest that you had to be there, that's what I mean.

A highly daring song - guess it still is. And does that Martin sound good. Think it must be the one he scalloped with a piece of broken glass.

Have to say I prefer the 4-Way Street version. It's a bit more nuanced, , , as if he knows it better at that point.

Remember when discovering the tune as a 15 year old kid. The words were alternative, yes, , , but the melody , , , , was almost impossible to open.

Was the last one to sink in from that double-LP, yet it melted bit by bit and eventually happened.

Regarding the recording above. Isn't it taken in 2 parts, guitar first then vox. The balance in the cans tells me so - only vocal in 1 side.

. . . . . . . . . .

bbg 🙏 - you'll get away with not receiving CSN and Teach Your Children in this round. Don't have the power to argue or preach tonite.

Next time it's on your radio, just listen to Garcia's p-steel and chill out. Liquid gold right there. .

Yeah, vocal and guitar were probably recorded separately, as is/was pretty common. This strikes me as a "dry" take, almost a demo of the song. You can her him tapping out the complex timing on the top of the guitar at points.

I have to admit I like the Jefferson Airplane version as well. It takes on a whole different life with Grace singing it. My first wife loved Slick's version of the song, for some reason...

A lot of people under rate Crosby's guitar skills because they focus on his voice, but his sense of timing is pretty amazing, as are his chord voicings.

I love unadorned takes like this. Nothing but one voice, and one guitar.

Good stuff.

Didn't mean for it to come off that way - I meant it in all honesty. Thing is, I believe it can be difficult (sometimes) to connect with song lyrics that strike a chord (aw, damn, I hope the pun police aren't on duty) with people who lived in and experienced - there's a difference - the context of the times when they were written. Would I have written that particular line? Likely not - my expression tends to have a harder edge. But, when I first heard that line, it hit me that - in the midst of all the political, generational, and familial conflicts that were raging at the time - that was EXACTLY what was missing. We had so much (and so little) faith, so much (and so little) love, and so much (and so little) tolerance that the notion of looking at it all with a sigh and lending some trust to the reciprocal love that everyone talked about, but nobody honestly seemed to credence, might rescue our collective sanity. All that probably sounds like total BS, but when I suggest that you had to be there, that's what I mean.

I was there, and I know exactly what you're saying. They were the right words for the time. Almost a vignette of normalcy in a world that sometimes seemed to have gone mad. In many ways, 1968-1970 were horrible, horrible years, but for a lot of us, the music helped us find our way back home.

And I still love that music.

I was there, and I know exactly what you're saying. They were the right words for the time. Almost a vignette of normalcy in a world that sometimes seemed to have gone mad. In many ways, 1968-1970 were horrible, horrible years, but for a lot of us, the music helped us find our way back home.

And I still love that music.

Amen😇

Ironically, things have not been melodic or harmonious for this group in recent years. They've stated emphatically they won't even talk to each other, let alone record or perform together.

YET - they've recently announced they're going to put together a Protest Performance because, as much as they dislike each other, they dislike the current president more.

I don't think being high was their secret weapon. They were good and might have been better if they didn't become cliches of the era. Dance with the devil and you are lucky if you wind up like Crosby and can walk away. But Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, and Parsons were all equally fantastic. But paid the full fare.

My turn -

On a musical level, there's no doubt that Teach Your Children is extremely well done/written.

Simple, but rounded and full - a complete piece of work excellent in performance as production.

But let's zoom in on the words.

Repeat having English as a second language, but I see the message of the song as blessed with a touch of brilliance.

We who were there - and I certainly listened to rock-music and was aware of counter-youth-culture in the late 60's and forward - remember how deep and dramatic the generation gap was.

It was serious **** and I'm willing to claim that never before nor after have the differences been so severe. Parents simply didn't understand a grain of what was goin' on :

The music, the hair, the fashion (or lack of fashion), the festivals, the philosophies, the micro-macro food, the mantras, the free love thoughts, the values, the dreams, the dancing, , , , ,

the rest. . .

Families did split up - youngsters had to leave their entire root-systems behind in order to liberate themselves and start something new - something real.

It sounds romantic, but never the less was what reality rotated about for close to 10 years.

(in all modesty, this is a fair lecture for people born after 1968 who all got the avantages of the battle since it raged)

I personally lost the connection to my old man on that account, , , for good. Some would call that a pretty tall price. .

Well, in the middle of that revolution - and it was a revolution in the entire western world - Graham Nash sat himself down and as the only hippie at all wrote a song that tried to angle things from both sides thus, if not making ends meet, then creating a platform for moments of truce.

If that ain't brilliant, what the heck is. .

In other words - I find it pretty obvious the tune became a classic.

But that said - and in a slightly other vein, bbg - I appreciate you not getting the act. In fact more and more as this thread expands.

It proves that you don't bow to plain consensus, but have contact to your genuine taste'n'senses and stay loyal to those. A thing I generally respect and rate extremely high.

So forget that CSN&Y is known as a golden age leading rock-folk-act and has 4 timeless chairs at the rocking royal court. It doesn't matter.

You are who you are and I'm sure we all have our own version of this kind of kontra-mind. Something we can't take in like 'the others'.

I won't reveal mine though, , , he he, , , not now, , , and not here. You would all just look at me and sigh. .

My turn -

On a musical level, there's no doubt that Teach Your Children is extremely well done/written.

Simple, but rounded and full - a complete piece of work excellent in performance as production.

Repeat having English as a second language, but I see the message of the song as blessed with a touch of brilliance.

We who were there - and I certainly listened to rock-music and was aware of counter-youth-culture in the late 60's and forward - remember how deep and dramatic the generation gap was.

It was serious **** and I'm willing to claim that never before nor after has the differences been so severe. Parents simply didn't understand a grain of what was goin' on :

The music, the hair, the fashion (or lack of fashion), the festivals, the philosophies, the micro-macro food, the mantras, the free love thoughts, the values, the dreams, the dancing, , , , ,

the rest. . .

Families did split up - youngsters had to leave their entire root-systems behind in order to liberate themselves and start something new - something real.

It sounds romantic, but never the less was what reality rotated about for close to 10 years.

(in all modesty, this is a fair lecture for people born after 1968 who all got the avantages of the battle since it raged)

I personally lost the connection to my old man on that account, , , for good. Some would call that a pretty tall price. .

Well, in the middle of that revolution - and it was a revolution in the entire western world - Graham Nash sat himself down and as the only hippie at all wrote a song that tried to angle things from both sides thus, if not making ends meet, then creating a platform for moments of truce.

But that said - and in a slightly other vein, bbg - I appreciate you not getting the act. In fact more and more as this thread expands.

It proves that you don't bow to plain consensus, but have contact to genuine your taste'n'senses and stay loyal to those. A thing I generally respect and rate extremely high.

So forget that CSN&Y is known as a golden age leading rock-folk-act and has 4 timeless chairs at the rocking royal court. It doesn't matter.

You are who you are and I'm sure we all have our own version of this kind of kontra-mind. Something we can't take in like 'the others'.

I won't reveal mine though, , , he he, , , not now, , , and not here. You would all just look at me and sigh. .

"...and know you love us" 😅👍

My turn -

It was serious **** and I'm willing to claim that never before nor after has the differences been so severe. Parents simply didn't understand a grain of what was goin' on :

the rest. . .

It proves that you don't bow to plain consensus, but have contact to genuine your taste'n'senses and stay loyal to those. A thing I generally respect and rate extremely high.

It's elvis isn't it

Elvis or the Beatles 😄

I have downloaded CSN albums for the car .

Am going to listen until I like them ....

at least I can imagine I live in laurel canyon for a day or two

I have downloaded CSN albums for the car .

Well, the bunch I am willing to put initials behind as an unconditional recommendation are the ones that made them.

Here without Young solo material :

Crosby Stills Nash /1969

CSN&Y - Déjà vu /1970

David Crosby - If I Could Only Remenber My Name /1971

Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills /1970

Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills 2 /1971

Graham Nash - Songs for Beginners /1971

Graham Nash - Wild Tales /1974

Crosby & Nash - Crosby Nash /1973

Notes - Some may find the Nash-LPs to sweet, but there's edgy stuff in there too, , , and a lot of heart.

A lot would count Stills' group Manassas in here - they're are welcome.

The CSN&Y 1971 double live-album 4-Way Street must be mentioned - great things there indeed.

Records to be considered in step II -

Crosby & Nash - Wind on the Water /1975

Stills Young Band - Long May You Run /1976

Crosby Stills Nash - CSN /1977

There U go > Enjoy

Archived