Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to date an AJ-10 by Serial Number

Hi All,

My first proper guitar was an Epiphone AJ-10 in black. I still have it and it's aged nicely over the past 16 or so years. It'll never be a great guitar, but it has a low action and a nice jangly sound.

Its serial number is SI20212870. This doesn't work with the guitardatabase search website and doesn't quite match the keys I've found of working out dates. The fact that it starts with a 2 (after the factory info) has thrown me. I think I got it in 2001, so do I assume that the 20 is referring to 2000?

Cheers

Hi All,

My first proper guitar was an Epiphone AJ-10 in black. I still have it and it's aged nicely over the past 16 or so years. It'll never be a great guitar, but it has a low action and a nice jangly sound.

Its serial number is SI20212870. This doesn't work with the guitardatabase search website and doesn't quite match the keys I've found of working out dates. The fact that it starts with a 2 (after the factory info) has thrown me. I think I got it in 2001, so do I assume that the 20 is referring to 2000?

Cheers

If you didn't get the s/n wrong, it's entirely possible that the year of manufacture be a single digit. (The unofficial Epiphone wiki lists that as a possibility for 1997 or earlier models at least.) For that to be true, you'd have to have acquired the guitar in or after 2002 or the guitar's indeed from 1992, though. If so, SI|2|02|12870 equals Samick, Indonesia | 2002 or 1992 | February | unit #12870.

Archived