Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Tribute vs Standard

MichaelT

I'm seriously looking at a 2017 Les Paul Tribute T satin Goldtop with P90's. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPTR9017-SGNH3

Other than the pickups, the top, the finish, lack of binding, and general appearance what are the main differences between the 2017 Standard and Tributes?

What I'm mainly looking at is the playability of the guitar, not the appearance. It seems to have the same neck as my Standard, 9 hole weight relief, tektoid nut, etc.

I think they're pretty similar to the Studios, aren't they? What I'm wondering is if this $900 guitar, other than the finish, will be as good as my $2800 guitar as far as the neck, action, hardware, etc.

And, yeah, I know I have to actually go play one and check it out, and that they're all different, etc. The closest place for me to check one out is Guitar Center and I loathe going there. :) I'm just looking for opinions from people who own or have owned them to see what they think. I think the answer is that they're great, go for it. If I can get the playability I have now into an awesome guitar with P90's, that would just about complete my Gibson collection for me, for now.

If you're looking for a P90 LP I don't see anything wrong with this. It does have slim-taper neck so as long as you are alright with that it should be good. Locking tuners a plus. Also there is a thread here somewhere from a fellow that used polish on his satin finish and it changed dramatically to a high gloss finish. But I guess you have to be careful with that as going too far will take the finish off entirely [scared]

It says it's based on a Studio and most people that have Studios love them. As long as the seller has a no hassle return policy I say order it and give it try, not much to lose except maybe return shipping charge if you don't care for it. It does nickel hardware that will tarnish where the more expensive Standards have chrome which can be polished more severely, but that is not a "playability" issue.

I got a 2017 Standard T - it has Burstbucker pups, tektoid nut, locking grover tuners, Nashville bridge, has a nice flame top, binding, slim taper neck with compound radius fingerboard. 4 Push pulls for out of phase, tuned coil tap,full bypass and a harshell case. So for the extra money you get extra features that this Tribute won't have, but as far as playability I think it might fit exactly what you are looking for.

I am guessing you would play your Standard or other guitars most of the time during a gig, and then when you specifically wanted the P90 tone you would pick this up for a few songs in which case it probably would be great.

It will be like comparing a Cadillac to a Chevrolet. It is a great value and mine is good quality but with the Standard you get all the bells and whistles. That Tribute is a great guitar at a great price. There is no case or locking tuners or really other bells and whistles, you just get a very nice looking, well built guitar that isn't too heavy and sounds great. I would be very comfortable gigging with the Tribute, way more so than a standard. I personally prefer the look of the Tribute to the Studio due to the natural finish on the cap sides.

Thank you for your responses. I got the ok from my wife to pull the trigger on this guitar (as long as she gets her new fridge as well). Pictures and review will be forthcoming. My Standard is awesome, plays and sounds amazing and is my main guitar at this point. This Tribute will be for those songs that I want that P90 sound for and just because I want a goldtop. At some point, I'll get a real case for it. But for now it'll be a player for around the house, since my Standard and V's usually cut the weight. And, some time in the next couple of years, I'll be seriously looking at one of the R8, R9, R0 just to find "the one." And, probably in some sort of cherry sunburst.

Archived