Gibson Brands Forums

Needed a campfire guitar

Russell Davis

Was looking for a laminate body guitar for road trips last weekend and picked up the Guild D240e. Played nearly every guitar hanging on the walls. Figured I was going to going to get one of the spruce/cherry model Seagulls but kept coming back to the Guild. The sound was deeper and more volume. Something I didn't expect with laminate mahogany. I think the lack of bracing on the arched back is responsible. The bone nut and bridge was a nice touch. It'll never sound as good as my Gibby but definitely better sounding than a lot of lower end Chinese guitars on the market.

*now I need to figure out how to post a pic that doesn't turn sideways

post-668-032826900 1494000042_thumb.jpg

I just take my Gibsons when I go car camping. My philosophy is they are there to be played, so I might as well play them anywhere within reason, but I also don't baby my guitars. With that said, if I was looking for a "beater" to take with me camping, etc. and wanted to leave the Gibsons at home, I'd pickup on of the Yamaha FG800. Incredible value and they sound REALLY, REALLY good. Can't beat the for under $200.

Those Chinese Guilds sound WAY better than they have any right to at that price point. Really nice instruments.

There's some excellent stuff out there in the £250-£750 price range at the moment. I bought my Epi IB'64 Texan a couple of years back as a guitar for overseas touring/flyaway gigs that could go in a plane hold without any potential heartache, but it's a genuinely superb instrument and I'm now reluctant to fly with it as I don't want to risk damaging it!!

Had to laugh when I read that. You've more or less summarized my experience with 'beater' guitars. If I own one worth playing, I'm reluctant to put it in harm's way - if I don't develop an affinity, I tend to unload it. Has to be some kind of psychological quirk, but ah, well😄

A lot of people like the old D-25s that had an arched, laminated back. I think it is just a really good formula. They had a certain cavernous sound that I found pleasing to the ear.

They sound great!

During the great Norlin debacle, quite a few of us 'discovered' Guild guitars. They were great alternatives to poorly constructed Gibsons and worked pretty well if you leaned toward the sound of Gibson, but away from that of Martin. There's a unique Guild sound, but it's not too far from Gibson. The longer scale bothered some people - and probably still does - but if you could get past it, there was considerable satisfaction to be had from Guild guitars. If I weren't too damn old to not feel silly opening a new area of accumulation, I just might focus on older Guilds. At any rate, it's nice to hear that their current models are pretty decent as well👍

*now I need to figure out how to post a pic that doesn't turn sideways

Many people have left the trouble-prone & pop up laden Photobucket for imgur.com; it's fairly intuitive, and by selecting the "Direct Link" button to the right side of your displayed image, your photo can be imbedded directly in your post. The edit tool allows a good number of features, such as the "rotate image" option you're looking for.

Russell- 25 posts since join date of first month of 2008? Maybe consider posting a little less often- you're only diluting your content. ; ).

Hope to see some pics of the Bonfire Guitar in action, 'round the campfire. Hopefully, you'll get a SoundCloud account, and share some "field recordings".

evNP2O8.png

Insert image button here on the Gib forum is 2 buttons to the right of smiley in the "reply" page.

I wish Guild would put out a Chinese G37. Absolutely love those things, arched Maple back and tone for DAYS.

Yes, I have a Westerly G-37, made in 1976.

Took it for a spin just last night. They are very nice.

Archived