Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Used Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Goldtop

JimB1

I have never posted in Epi forum before, just the Gibson one. I had a Gibson LP 60's tribute previously but didn't bond with it well so I traded it in a couple of years ago on a Gibson J-45 that I love msp_thumbup.gif I have been looking at the Epiphones forever though (Especially the semi-hollow bodies like the Wildcat and Lucille models)

So I have been keeping my eyes open for semi-hollow body for a few months now. Not really in any rush but keeping an eye out for any deals so I saw one of the semi-local Sam Ash stores had a used Epiphone ES-335 Pro with hardshell case for an insanely low price so I figured I'd go check it out. Took the 45 minute drive and when I got there they didn't have it of course msp_cursing.gif so I figure, might as well look around while I am here. They have a closeout Epiphone Black Royale for a decent price so I was messing with that a bit but really didn't like the binding, reminded me of a 70's huffy bicycle seat LOL. So I checked out the whole place and was about to leave when I saw this Epiphone goldtop that looked interesting.

Not sure what caught my eye on it, maybe the mismatched knobs. It was hanging in a row of other Epiphone Les Paul models in various colors but the Goldtop just grabbed me for some reason, I haven't been looking at Les Paul models a lot lately after my stint with the Gibson LP but I figured what the heck. I pulled it down and saw the truss rod cover and it clicked that it was one of the signature models. Normally I am not a fan of signature models but this was pretty understated. I am mainly a fingerstyle blues player, lots of old stuff and mainly acoustic so I tend to play electric exactly the same as acoustic just with longer bends and slides because electric has the gift of sustain and lighter strings :) Let me say right now, I love the neck on this guitar! It's just chunky enough to give you solid thumb support and is a little flat in the back. Very comfortable to me. After messing with it unplugged for a bit (it's a very resonant solid body guitar) I tried a few different amps, (I really liked the new Fender Mustang GT40 BTW) and the Burstbucker 2 and 3 in this model are really nice sounding with the right settings. This is a very bluesy guitar, more so then I usually think of a Les Paul. The setup was very nice and the only issues with it are the neck pickup volume cap is cracked (easy and cheap to fix) some minor use marks on the back that I might be able to buff out, and it's missing the certificate of authenticity (I guess the previous owner wanted to keep JB's autograph.) No big deal to me, I didn't buy it as a collectors item. Case has a couple of wear spots but overall is in good shape. I looked up the serial number and it was made in April 2012 at the Epiphone China factory. Price was very good for a used top of the line Epi with a case.

I couldn't pass it up, it came home with me instead of an ES. I am sure I'll still end up with an ES at some point but hey, everyone needs a Les Paul too right msp_laugh.gif

Maybe this weekend I'll get some time to do a good cleaning and string change on it but so far I am really liking it.

http://www.epiphone....sa-Goldtop.aspx

Here's the specs:

Body Material: mahogany

Top Material: Carved Hard maple Cap

Neck Material: mahogany

Neck Shape: Rounded "D"-profile; 1959 shape

Neck Joint: "Deep-set" glued inTruss RodAdjustableScale Length: 24.75

Fingerboard Material: rosewood with pearloid trapezoid inlays

Fingerboard Radius: 12"

Frets: 22 medium jumbo

Bridge Pickup: Gibson USA Burstbucker™ 3 Humbucker

Neck Pickup: Gibson USA BurstBucker™ 2 Humbucker

Controls: Bridge volume, neck volume, bridge tone, neck tone, Epiphone all metal 3-way toggle

Bridge: Locktone™ Tune-o-matic/Stopbar

Nut Width: 1.68"

Hardware: Nickel

Binding: Body and fingerboard

Machine Heads: Grover® 14:1 ratio

Colors: Metallic Gold

Includes: Lifton-style hardshell case, hand-signed certificate of authenticity, Epiphone Straplocks

POP_Bonamassa-MG.jpg

Stock photo, not mine but looks the same except for the cracked volume knob. Maybe I'll post some pics later, I'm at work now but it's a very nice guitar and the price was excellent.

Have a great weekend!

-Jim

So, I got some time today to go though and do a cleaning and setup.

Had to do a minor tweak to the truss rod, string height and intonation was off a little on a couple of strings, easily fixed stuff. I have to order a new knob but I found that the knobs were all not seated correctly so fixed that too. Adjusted the pickup height a little and it is sounding even better then before. Took off the pick guard and cleaned up the edges with a nail file, there were a couple of rough pieces so it didn't sit near the neck pickup cleanly. Also took off some little pieces of clear plastic from around the pick guard screw that were most likely from the clear plastic they stick to the pick guard when it is new.

After that lemon oiled the fretboard and cleaned out some gunk around the frets, Maguire's scratchX on the back for some swirls (Didn't get all the swirls out but it's not nearly as noticeable.) then full cleaning with Dunlop 65 cleaner and then Dunlop 65 cream of Carnauba. Found a really tiny gouge in the front that I didn't notice before but no big deal.

Shines like new now and plays like butter! I am really liking the guitar a lot!

Sometimes nice stuff just falls into your lap, I love when that happens :)

-Jim

So, I got some time today to go though and do a cleaning and setup.

Had to do a minor tweak to the truss rod, string height and intonation was off a little on a couple of strings, easily fixed stuff. I have to order a new knob but I found that the knobs were all not seated correctly so fixed that too. Adjusted the pickup height a little and it is sounding even better then before. Took off the pick guard and cleaned up the edges with a nail file, there were a couple of rough pieces so it didn't sit near the neck pickup cleanly. Also took off some little pieces of clear plastic from around the pick guard screw that were most likely from the clear plastic they stick to the pick guard when it is new.

After that lemon oiled the fretboard and cleaned out some gunk around the frets, Maguire's scratchX on the back for some swirls (Didn't get all the swirls out but it's not nearly as noticeable.) then full cleaning with Dunlop 65 cleaner and then Dunlop 65 cream of Carnauba. Found a really tiny gouge in the front that I didn't notice before but no big deal.

Shines like new now and plays like butter! I am really liking the guitar a lot!

Sometimes nice stuff just falls into your lap, I love when that happens :)

-Jim

Congrats on the new guitar Jim! Sounds like a real beaut!

Post up some pics if you have the chance, we'd love to see her!

Archived