Gibson Brands Forums

806Megs of MP3, 4 files, 6.5 hours of recording...just another Friday Night

Homz

Wow, we jammed for over 6 hours last night. I haven't heard the files yet, but I suspect they will suck. This is the first time I used my Zoom H4 with the built in microphones. I could never seem to get rid of the buzz from recording directly through the Mackie board. Editing this mess will take a full day, but if there is anything worthy I'll make them available; that is if I can figure out how to post sound files. There really needs to be a Photo Bucket for sound files. Any suggestions?

I am pleasantly surprised thus far on the recording quality. Sounds much better then I expected. I did; however, find another problem. While playing the vocals were not as up front as they seem to be on the recordings and thus you can really hear the "I only had a couple of drinks" in the voice of the lead singer. That would be, as you know her, Wicked 1.

You can also make a movie out of it using Windows Movie Maker (should come standard with your windows). Just import the audio and your picture above for the background if you like. Then save it as a movie (the default is a .wmv file), get a youtube account and you're off...

BTW. I'm the sane one.

If you're the sane one' date=' you guys must be a fun bunch to jam with! default_eusa_wall.gif

The other guitar player in my band is an even bigger computer nerd than I am and records all of our rehearsals (for better or worse) through some sort of mixer/hard disk recorder (no idea what it is). He set up two mics for the kick drums and two other mics on either side of the kit (normally would be overheads, but hanging them high picked up too much of the cymbals), one mic on my amp (no idea what it is but I plan to buy a 57 to replace it), the bass and his Line 6 XT Live both go direct and we have four vocal mics. He has no engineering experience but is getting pretty good at getting nice sounding tracks and better at mixing.

Ironically, I'm the one with all the live and studio engineering experience but haven't gotten involved with the process much at all except for giving him some advice. Maybe when we get around to trying to put together a good demo I'll dive in some more. I live about 45 minutes from those guys who all live within a quarter of a mile from each other in the same neighborhood so, unfortunately, I'm not as involved in the finer points of what we do as I'd like to be.

Keep experimenting, Homz; you'll get it sounding good.

If you're the sane one' date=' you guys must be a fun bunch to jam with! [-(

[/quote']

We do have fun. It does get loud though. I think it may be more fun then it ever was, but I can't say for sure because the many bands and many jams of my youth are fogged with booze and stupid.

Now that's not to say we don't have a few drinks now. We do, but I'm older and wiser and don't get to crazy with it.

Archived