Gibson Brands Forums

Mike Bloomfields Telecaster

Rabs

Fascinating clips, Rabs.

The Dan Erlwine clip was especially interesting.

During the top clip my first thought was about the low strap-button and that it might have been butchered by a 'lefty' to give upper-fret access. What a strange thing to have done!

OK; it might - or might not - be a 'special-sounding' example but to chop-up a perfectly good guitar rather than just buy a left-handed one? Were left-handed Tele's so difficult to find in the late '60s/early '70s?...........eusa_think.gif...........I suppose the might have been.

It reminded me of the original '59 'burst which had been similarly altered.

"Unique" is putting it charitably...

Pip.

Were left-handed Tele's so difficult to find in the late '60s/early '70s?...........eusa_think.gif...........I suppose the might have been.

Pip.

The answer must surely be yes Pippy.

Witness Hendrix and his "choice" in Strats and Clapton's delight in eventually finding a left-hand Strat for Jimi only to find Hendrix had gone and died on him.

I was lucky enough to see Mike B (just once) in 70s in San Fransico. It was just him playing seated at a club (It may have been the Shadey Grove - not sure now). It was relaxed atmosphere and it didnt feel like a normal gig at all. I recall a drunk getting a little lively and the staff beginning to get irate with him. A couple of the audience called "leave him alone, he's ok". Without looking up, after another minute Mike quietly said "ah, leave him alone man". He didnt demand it. He just gave his opinion. The staff stopped hassling the drunk and the drunk settled down.

He wasnt playing like the young man in Paul Butterfields Band, but he had a great & natural feel for what he played & sang. Mike has long been my favourite US blues guitarist.

AS for him being left handed. I didnt know anything about that. He managed to play right handed well enough though.

I was lucky enough to see Mike B (just once) in 70s in San Fransico. It was just him playing seated at a club (It may have been the Shadey Grove - not sure now). It was relaxed atmosphere and it didnt feel like a normal gig at all. I recall a drunk getting a little lively and the staff beginning to get irate with him. A couple of the audience called "leave him alone, he's ok". Without looking up, after another minute Mike quietly said "ah, leave him alone man". He didnt demand it. He just gave his opinion. The staff stopped hassling the drunk and the drunk settled down.

He wasnt playing like the young man in Paul Butterfields Band, but he had a great & natural feel for what he played & sang. Mike has long been my favourite US blues guitarist.

AS for him being left handed. I didnt know anything about that. He managed to play right handed well enough though.

Sorry we went off on a tangent about Jimi (hence the left handed talk)

I think there are a lot of lefties that play right-handed though (myself included). Actually it always made more sense to me to use my better hand (left) or fretting.

EDIT: After posting this I learned that Bloomfield was also left handed but played right handed.

I really envy you Mr Mercy Man. Bloomfield has long been my favourite blues guitar player. There is something about his phrasing and "feel" that just surpasses (for me) everyone else.

I don't think Bloomfield was left-handed at all. Mike didn't cut that Telecaster up - it was the bloke who inherited it from Mike and he was indeed left-handed.

I really envy you Mr Mercy Man. Bloomfield has long been my favourite blues guitar player. There is something about his phrasing and "feel" that just surpasses (for me) everyone else.

I don't think Bloomfield was left-handed at all. Mike didn't cut that Telecaster up - it was the bloke who inherited it from Mike and he was indeed left-handed.

Yesterday I just read in Bloomfield's words that he was left-handed and started playing guitar left-handed, but switched to playing guitar right-handed and his playing improved after that

Yesterday I just read in Bloomfield's words that he was left-handed and started playing guitar left-handed, but switched to playing guitar right-handed and his playing improved after that

Something I hadn't known. Pretty unusual. He must've been genuinely ambidextrous in reality.

Something I hadn't known. Pretty unusual. He must've been genuinely ambidextrous in reality.

Actually it's pretty common. As I said above I'm the same way.

For some odd reason, if you look at a list of the "best" guitarists, there is a highly disproportionate amount of left handed players (whether they play right handed or not)

To me it makes perfect sense. My left hand has better fine motor skills and fretting generally requires more fine motor skills than strumming or picking

Archived