Gibson Brands Forums

Darkfire Twist In Headstock/Neck

Gejodi

Hi all...this is my second Darkfire and am trying to decide whether to return for money back or RMA. I have a bent PU switch, sticky MCK knob, sharp fret edges and slight imperfections in finish but the main concern and why I posted here is that there appears to be a slight (1/4 inch) twist in the headstock/neck and I cannot accept this. I have called Gibson asking them if they would REPLACE this guitar and they said they could not guarantee its replacement if the guitar is functional and playable. I was waiting for a replacement from GC as I have their warrantee but was just told production is on hold so I guess Im forced to return this for money back.

Has anyone had any twists in neck or headstock?? Would like to know before I return.

Gejodi

Elantric...there is a slight difference which I assume can be adjusted but, the fact is there is still a twist in this 3500 dollar guitar and Im not sure what the future will bring If in fact it gets worse. Does yours have a twist???

All Dark Fires have an "asymmetrical" Neck Profile - which could easily be mistaken for a twisted Neck.

Its intentional

These appeared on Ernie Ball MusicMan Axis Guitars 15 years ago, and now Gibson adopted this for bulk of their standard production Les Pauls

It takes getting used too - but the treble side is 1/4 " thinner than the bass side. If you sliced the Headstock off and viewed down the length of the NEck - you would see an "Egg Shaped" profile.

All Dark Fires come this way standard.

scan00012-218x118.jpg

Bottom line - if you can get the action low for both High E and Low E and have zero fret out due to tall frets - then you have zero frettboard twist = zero neck twist. Instead you have an optical illusion.

Elantric.....So If I lay the guitar on a flat surface on its back with the headstock hanging off and lower than the flat surface (to allow for neck bend)...in looking from the pickup end it would be normal to see the headstock 1/4 inch higher on the left side than on the right with respect to the flat edge plane???

Gejodi

Yes this could be true

Its an outcome of the CNC route for the "asymmetrical" profile.

Close your eyes & play the guitar - if you can get the action low for both High E and Low E and have zero fret out due to tall frets for the entire length of the fretboard- then you have zero frettboard twist = zero neck twist. Instead you have an optical illusion.

I'll go check mine right now

Elantric...Thanks much for the post and info and everyone else in this forum who contributes any information to help us all along the way! I must say that the people here seem to be dedicated to their craft and willing to help others....thanks again

Gejodi

Archived