Gibson Brands Forums

Trouble with my brand new 50s tribute 2016 Les Paul

PabloMejiaB

When I bought my 50s tribute les paul everything was going perfectly, but sadly after two weeks of usage (I treated it as my own daughter all the time), it started showing some signs of paint loss, when I took the guitar to the place I bought it to ask for guarantee, they said that the cause of my issue was natural wear of the paint. I thing its unnacceptable they said that to me, I have owned other guitars for the past 6 years and none of them have ever had a single scratch, I dont know why this happened to me or how I can act to get some help or a serious response. Any help would be very appreciated.

(Obviously I bought it from an official distributor)

When I bought my 50s tribute les paul everything was going perfectly, but sadly after two weeks of usage (I treated it as my own daughter all the time), it started showing some signs of paint loss, when I took the guitar to the place I bought it to ask for guarantee, they said that the cause of my issue was natural wear of the paint. I thing its unnacceptable they said that to me, I have owned other guitars for the past 6 years and none of them have ever had a single scratch, I dont know why this happened to me or how I can act to get some help or a serious response. Any help would be very appreciated.

First of all, Gibson is Not picking on you...

Most of the Tribute, and "Satin," or "Faded" models, have thinner finishes, and wear a lot quicker,

to a "relic" state. Even my "Satin '61 Reissue SG" had a similar result, on the back of the neck.

I simply re-stained it, and then applied 6 coats of lacquer clear coat, and it's been fine, for the

last 4 years! And, I play it every day!

I have a 2003 "Faded" TV Yellow Les Paul double cut Special, that did that. The paint on the back

of the neck, especially, wore down to the wood, in a month, or less. Gibson's response, when

I asked about it, was it was "normal" for that model, and other's with that finish. Less color

coats, and less clear coats, than the regular line/glossy, and upper tier heavier finished models.

If you love everything else, about the guitar, I'd say just play the He!! out of it. You can

always have it refinished, at some later point. They're are not CS "collector's" items, as they're

made in far greater numbers, these days, and at a price point more affordable, so a thinner finish

is to be expected.

IF, however, you can't abide that, then I suggest you take it back to the dealer, demand your

money back, or a substantial trade in value, toward another, nicer finished (and, more expensive),

version. Even so, Gibson does not warranty the finish, even on the CS guitars! Never have, probably

never will. Nitro lacquer, is thin, and (somewhat) fragile, to begin with. That's why it tends to wear

more easily, and attain it's desired "patina."

Cheers, and Good Luck, with whatever you decide. [biggrin]

CB

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As CB said the Tribute range of models have a very thin finish. This is a fundamental part of it's character and, it must be said, a certain amount of its appeal. The guitar will start to look well-played and well-loved far, far sooner than would normally be the case - especially if compared to a polyester-finished guitar. What the dealership told you was correct. It's not just something which has happened to you; all Tribute instruments will wear in this fashion. Unfortunately if you don't like your guitars to 'age' in this manner you have bought the wrong instrument.

One option would be to do as CB says and have the guitar re-finished in a more durable finish if you think that would be an improvement.

Incidentally no manufacturer will cover paint-finish from becoming marked/worn/chipped/checked and Gibson specifically mentions this exclusion on their warranty card.

Pip.

You can use a protective polish etc. It will slow down the wear imo. Not uncommon though as many will agree. It really differs by person I've seen them last for year's with no real wear issue and others seem to wear quickly.

As CB said the Tribute range of models have a very thin finish. This is a fundamental part of it's character and, it must be said, a certain amount of its appeal. The guitar will start to look well-played and well-loved far, far sooner than would normally be the case - especially if compared to a polyester-finished guitar. What the dealership told you was correct. It's not just something which has happened to you; all Tribute instruments will wear in this fashion. Unfortunately if you don't like your guitars to 'age' in this manner you have bought the wrong instrument.

I dearly love Pippy and all of his relatives that inhabit his tiny island home.

But to sum his very gentlemanly prose into one word: cheap.

Cheap crappy paint jobs look cheap and crappy quick like, and I am sorry to say this is pretty standard these days.

And, when yer warranty expressly excludes any finish issues, it's a Win Win!

Sorry Gibson, you know how lots of people feel about it.

rct

Ha so if you don't like road worn look your fresh out of luck. I don't know I have mixed feelings about it. You know you buy say a SG special for a few hundred and you have a win win situation. Hey and there's always the argument some actually look good worn and the back of the neck etc. Clearly a get what you pay situation for management with a smile. And if your paying more you expect more I suppose. Just thought I'd add that food for thought.

People want "less" costly USA made Gibsons and have been complaing about this for a few centuries now, (at least when I was a young-un they were)

So, ahh at last!! they make em.. USA made gibbies, for no where near the kings ransom! Hooray! but, the devil is in the details right?

in the price range of +/- $1k, Simply stated, it will be far from the standards that others are willing to pay $2,500+ for.

It's hard to know who's right and who is wrong? expectations exceed reality.

Some buyers may be better severed by looking at an import.

a $899 dollar Gibson Tribute does NOT = the fit/finish/etc of a $3k production run. I understand people can be disappointed, but it is what it is.

Ha so if you don't like road worn look your fresh out of luck. I don't know I have mixed feelings about it. You know you buy say a SG special for a few hundred and you have a win win situation. Hey and there's always the argument some actually look good worn and the back of the neck etc. Clearly a get what you pay situation for management with a smile. And if your paying more you expect more I suppose. Just thought I'd add that food for thought.

My only issue is the way it is sold. In the olden days, guitars came to you one way: with shiny paint, nitro or poly didn't matter, many coats of paint with many coats of shiny stuff on top.

Then they decided that was just too expensive to do. They put marketing super geniuses on it and came up with "breathing finishes" and "exposed pores and grain" that "enhance the natural tone" and other gooey lovey things. Buncha crap. Knock 70% of the work off and drop the price by 30%. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

rct

Yup I was thinking about the neck finish comments on the LP pro 3 and 4 traditional. You can split the difference and have top finished too and a "nice smooth" neck. When I was growing up I thought the gloss finished version was "nice and smooth"...sheeze I even bought another 😂

It's difficult to actually have a clear resolution to the immediate issue of the OP when there are a host of factors coming into play. Gibson really only has a few options when it comes to offering these models. One is to NOT offer them. Keep Gibson as a more elitist brand out of reach of the average musician. If people want one they have to move to the standard line or above. That keeps some people happy...but not everyone. The second is to change to a different finish like poly. That just doesn't feel right, and I'm not sure that it would increase the quality of the finish. The last option is to stick with what they're doing now. Some customers may not like how it wears, but they get the essence of what an American built Gibson is about. It sucks for the player that is not aware of the surrounding issues, but hopefully they are in the minority and still creating great music with a great playing instrument. Seriously feel for the OP in this.

I learned the fastest way to take a finish off a Les Paul is when you're playing outside and wearing bug replant spray.

Nitro no matter how thick doesn't like sweaty bug spray.

Also sloppy picking can lead to scratches and chips are also causes for finish defects

Well aside from the finish conversation the LP itself is a fantastic offering imho. Truth be told I've been passively looking for one used. Hint Hint lol. Gibson did a Blue finish on them one year, I see you can't find one.

But yes I agree I imagine it's somewhat disturbing to come upon this all of a sudden. I would assume it's a surprise to realize a nitro finish doesn't have a warranty etc.

Gibson has never offered a Warranty for the finish. I don't think Fender does either, I could be wrong.

I like these Tributes, finish issues aside... (which I wouldn't really have a problem with) I have been eying the P90 variant with no small amount of lust..

Gibson has never offered a Warranty for the finish. I don't think Fender does either, I could be wrong.

I like these Tributes, finish issues aside... (which I wouldn't really have a problem with) I have been eying the P90 variant with no small amount of lust..

To Kidblast: Hey now! This one's mine! Back off!!

To the OP: I like a guitar that's been played, worn and loved. It gives them character. I understood that when purchasing this guitar. If you weren't made aware of that, it was the seller's fault. I love my Faded V and love the Satin one so far.

LOL!!

Visions of Smeagle and Frodo spring to mind.. "Myyyyyyyyyyy Precioussssssssssssss"...

I am NOT going to throw it in the fire to see if any Elven runes appear. Hmm, it IS gold though...

To the OP: I like a guitar that's been played, worn and loved. It gives them character. I understood that when purchasing this guitar. If you weren't made aware of that, it was the seller's fault. I love my Faded V and love the Satin one so far.

I dont think I will let it go just yet mate, I still love the way it sounds. But if I ever change my mind I will let you know

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with two Gibsons - Less Plus and Les Paul Standard. Both exhibited checking and cracks within months of purchase, even though they are kept in the same place, in their cases, as my other guitars which also have nitro finish and have no problems.

I was told it was 'my fault', and 'it happens with nitro' and even ' think yourself lucky its happened so soon as its 'desirable' on Gibvsons'.

I got nowhere with Gibson on this issue. What a crock of **** they come out with. And folks buy it!

Yes - every Gibson dealer should explain to their customers that the finish is poor, and will deteriorate rapidly, and Gibson will say its your fault...........how many Gibson sales do you think they would lose?

Yes - every Gibson dealer should explain to their customers that the finish is poor, and will deteriorate rapidly, and Gibson will say its your fault...........how many Gibson sales do you think they would lose?

Not many. Guitar playing is a dirty, contact sport that often has unhappy endings. Play the thing, it won't stay perfect.

Put some pictures up of your guitars. If they checked and cracked that fast that is a problem.

rct

Archived