Gibson Brands Forums

Melody Maker reissues...which model is best?

cliffenstein

The "Joan Jett" versions are Fun, if/when you can find them. Out of production, so "used" is the only option,

on that particular version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Joan-Jett-Black-Heart-Melody-Maker-2010-Black-/282473753605?hash=item41c4bf6c05:g:kG8AAOSw3gJZFP89

The white ones, finished like your single cut, are even harder to find! But, basically,

the same guitar, as the black one's.

CB

You might check Reverb, as well as E-bay, and "Craig's List," now and then.

Here's some more realistic priced version, in case you're not into "Signature" Stuff.

Some Vintage early/mid '60's version are right at, or near the same price, as the

"Joan Jett" one, is often listed for. So...???

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Gibson+Joan+Jet&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR9.TRC2.A0.H0.XGibson+meloday+maker.TRS0&_nkw=Gibson+meloday+maker&_sacat=0

CB

Check out the MM Special. Full headstock, two pickups. There are some years they still use ebony fretboards instead of baked maple. Mine came as the "Jonas Bros Signature" model - $350CAD. After a refinish, new pickups, pickguard, bigsby, and bridge, it's one of the best guitars I own.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk210/tomionescu/Screenshot_20170521-094137_zpspxw8znq8.png

Also the mid 2000's models are worth checking out. They had the stop tailpiece & bridge, and no front route. Like a thinner LPJ.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one "modern" re-issue MM, a 2010 singe cut in ebony, with the single coil in place for maybe one more day...then it will be replaced with a DiMarzio DP 189, a twin rail humbucker designed fore Strats, but that looks like a drop in to the MM single coil spot...My 2010 also has a TonePro's wrap around tailpiece, which I find is just great...The guitar is very fast, very easy to play, and just resonates...a great rock & roll guitar...My OTHER MM is a factory stock, but beat-up 1965 double cut in cherry...a little gem.

I don't think there are any really BAD Melody Makers, kind of like LP Juniors...they might be a little different, but they are all good!

• 2 weeks later...

While it might only be a relative to the Melody Maker, or maybe the brief inheritor of the MM lineage for a year or two, I am really liking my 1998 All American II...Two single coils like a MM, a body similar to a LP Special (though it reminds me of a Hamer Steve Stevens as well), a full Gibson neck (not missing the headstock "wings" like the MM), and (oddly) a Wilkinson-Strat-style tremolo. They only seemed to make them for a couple years, and only in 2 colors as far as I know, ebony and a red burst. If I recall right, the All American I was basically the same guitar as the SG-X, not related to the Melody Maker at all, like an SG Junior with no pickguard, a very hot lone 500T in the bridge and a small coil tap switch. (Had one of these before, should've kept it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived