Gibson Brands Forums

Reverb advice on tuning

Hawkesman

I think I mentioned this recently in another thread, but here is the compensated tuning James Taylor uses. You need a tuner that displays cents to make it work. Though some newer tuners offer this "sweetened" tuning as a setting. I know my Peterson StroboClip does.

Compensated Tuning

E: -12 cents

A: -10

D: -8

G: -4

B: -6

E: -3

referring to the COMMENTS following the article. did you read them?

Ah, right, thanks. When I first saw the Reverb page it had only just been posted, so there were no comments. A lot has changed there since then!

As the OP, I put this up there because I was genuinely surprised to see that what I'd been doing for donkey's years seemed to be wrong, even though it worked for me, hence my request for the esteemed forum's views. I mentioned very early on in the thread (5th post) that tuning had to be a compromise and, on balance, that seems to be right in both principle and practice. I guess it comes down to 'each to their own'. Whatever you do, and however you do it, if it gets you what you need then that's fine.

No perfect answer, after 50+ years of playing, it's down to, if the setup is as right as it is gonna be, and the strings are not toast "get it as close as you can with out loosing your mind, and play the sucker.."

the comments section was kind of like watching a train wreck, I wanted to stop reading the comments, but I just couldn't stop myself. LOL!

The Reverb article is entirely correct, and the comments by Wes Howard are right, too. No intervals except octaves match equal temperament.

Some misconception may occur with the numbering of overtones. When seen as harmonics or partials, they are named by the multiple of the fundamental frequency they basically are. This makes the fundamental the 1st harmonic or 1st partial, the 1st overtone the 2nd harmonic or 2nd partial, the 2nd overtone the 3rd harmonic or 3rd partial and so on. You may refer to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtone#Musical_usage_term

The Reverb article is entirely correct, and the comments by Wes Howard are right, too. No intervals except octaves match equal temperament.

Some misconception may occur with the numbering of overtones. When seen as harmonics or partials, they are named by the multiple of the fundamental frequency they basically are. This makes the fundamental the 1st harmonic or 1st partial, the 1st overtone the 2nd harmonic or 2nd partial, the 2nd overtone the 3rd harmonic or 3rd partial and so on. You may refer to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtone#Musical_usage_term

It's good to hear you talk like that Cap!

rct

The scientific explanations are fascinating. I used to use harmonics to tune when I was younger because as Farns said you (I) knew you were close when it stops vacillating and became still. I totally stopped doing that as soon as floor tuner pedals came out and have never looked back. Thank goodness I don't have red green color blindness. No stress involved and as was pointed out, the audience doesn't have to listen to me tune although some folks seem to think that hitting harmonics is kinda cool and makes me look like I know what I'm doing. [unsure]

Archived