Gibson Brands Forums

Real Gibson SG

TrickleDown Effect

It's definitely an SG Standard, but is it something you're looking to buy? or do you own it? The pics look genuine, but looks like it's missing a few parts. A tail piece would be a good place to start. lol

Just picked it up. It does have a tail piece (doesnt know what i was thinking) Have everything off cause i was cleaning it. I was wanting to confirm it was genuine because i just traded my LP Classic for a LP Custom which i found out was fake.

You can see what it looks like here:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/591865083.html

It was eating me up not having a Genuine Gibson so i went out and picked up this SG. Just wanted to make sure i didnt get ripped again.

Ouch! Sorry Trickle that you got hosed on the LP. About a year ago (old forum) we had all kinds of posts about the ebay fakes on here. Too bad you were'nt here to see them. People that are new to Gibbos need to be more aware of the Fibsons that have plagued the internet in the past few years. You learned the hard way, but at least now you're being cautious. The SG you have is fine though.

TrickleDown Effect, I feel for you; that's very unfortunate.

In future, the headstock on your Custom is a dead give-away. I don't know what it's officially called, but the diamond shaped symbol on your guitar's headstock is way too small for a real Custom.

Enjoy your new SG!

Ouch! Sorry Trickle that you got hosed on the LP. About a year ago (old forum) we had all kinds of posts about the ebay fakes on here. Too bad you were'nt here to see them. People that are new to Gibbos need to be more aware of the Fibsons that have plagued the internet in the past few years. You learned the hard way' date=' but at least now you're being cautious. The SG you have is fine though.[/quote']

Sorry for the stupid question... How can you tell when its a fake? What about serials? The LP seemed to have a serial, just bogus I assume then?

Wow. That sucks.

eusa_doh.gif

Sorry for the stupid question... How can you tell when its a fake? What about serials? The LP seemed to have a serial' date=' just bogus I assume then?

Wow. That sucks.

:-k

[/quote']

jenciv, that's not a stupid question at all. I'm far from being an expert, but I can spot a few dead giveaways on the counterfeits. Typically the fakes will have the larger headstocks, crooked Gibson decal, wrong shaped truss cover w/ 3 screws instead of 2, the headstock is also less angled than on a real Gibson. Some of the later models have actually evolved, but they're not fool-proof. Anyone can stamp a serial # and "made in usa" on a guitar, even though it's a good way to fool a lot of people. Anyway, that's just the icing on the cake, and there's plenty of no no's on the body as well....not to mention the pickup cavity should not be painted black. Aaargh. Hope that helps.

Good Call Rjay. Its a shame they even make them. Here people are putting massive amounts of money for what they think are real gibsons. It happened to me as you know, I had no clue they even made fake gibsons. I found out theres a website :

http://www.paylessguitars.com/products.asp?pclass=GIBSON%20ELECTRIC%20GUITAR&c_code=0002

You can actually purchase fake gibsons, the site should be closed down. If you look through the pictures you can spot there fake by the tress rod cover (3 screws). All I can suggest to everyone is buy from a legit place (ie: guitar center) or some place that can be held responsible. Places like craigslist are usually fakes, if you do decide to go used, make sure you question the person hard about it first, check for owners manuals, etc. and when you go to look at it, show up with a screw driver and remove the tress rod cover to check the bolt. They rest of the things to check require removing the strings (under pickups)

Here is the link that Gibson provided to me when they told me mine was fake.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/CounterfeitGibsons/

Study up and you wont get ripped

Hope this helps.

I see many LP's that are counterfeit, do the SG's get cloned as much as the LP's? I haven't seen one yet. I know there are Epi SG's but they are a rather nice alternative in price and craftsmanship in comparison to any knockoff.

Archived