Gibson Brands Forums

df at best buy?

DF-234

wow that just made my day... im in highschool and i have probably fixed 20 friends best buy "installed" stereos and subwoofers... here in tucson they have a tendency to wrap the rca/spearker wire around the power cables to keep things neat and tidy lol

Two things, FWIW:

1) I went over to the Best Buy in Tukwila, WA which was listed on the Gibson web page as a place where you could buy a DF just to see this for myself (I couldn't believe it, you see). This was about a month ago. They never heard of DF and told me they didn't sell guitars, Gibson or otherwise.... It did seem weird that BB, supposedly, would sell the DF.

2) That "Geek Squad" guy I saw last week in Silverdale, WA was actually an IT guy who works his "day job" at a high tech firm, choosing to work at BB to mix up his schedule a bit. Well, even though I cleaned my computer from the virus it got last week, I still had a residual effect of my computer NOT letting me log in under any account, nor in any mode. I knew what file I needed to replace and how to then deal with Regedit... BUT! I had no time, nor any inclination to go searching for that file in the cabs of my original disk. This "GeeK" guy was great in that he knew right were to get the files, he made the edits, and only charged me $30. It took him only 20 minutes, the time I had spent doing an errand elsewhere. Super!

Re your Geek Squad experience - sounds like you got a great local guru - a rare find!

Re Best Buy - They began selling high dollar Gibsons last Summer:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/buy-gibson-and-epiphone-at/

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=abcat0207000&type=category

The most significant customer of Gibson guitars is Guitar Center/MusiciansFriend. But in this economy GC/MF has significant inventory of 2008 models, and they are not ordering as many new guitars per quarter as they once did.

So Gibson striking a deal with Best Buy and setting up certain Best Buys as a Gibson Dealers allows Gibson to move large numbers. Although if I was a small mom & pop music store that happens to be a Gibson Dealer in the same town as a Best Buy, I'd be pissed. Gibson dealers must meet certain conditions - like ordering a minimum number of guitars each month and sending Gibson money -

But if MSRP for a Gibson Slash LP Goldtop is $3600 - and you negotiate a deal at $3000 , only to open the paper and see this:

???

http://www.gibson.com/Slash/Gibson%20USA/Slash-Les-Paul-Goldtop/

post-5910-12817337043596_thumb.png

Reguardless of the press release by Best Buy, they actually started selling musical instruments in the summer of 07. I bought my Original Robot in the Richfield Minnesota store (right next to Best Buy world headquarters) in December of '07, a few days after the Guitar Centers sold out. This may have been the first store, but non the less, they had started much earlier than they claim.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I goofed up as to which Best Buy I was actually visiting to search for a Dark Fire guitar in my post above. (Not that unusual for me as I travel so much and tend to visit lots of stores). It turns out that I was in Tukwila, WA today and, for a short moment, I thought I was in a mini Guitar Center (except that this place had WAY more little kids on the drum machines). There was a major area with musical instruments, accessories (scads of Gator cases as well as amps and other stuff), and even a small enclosed room for the acoustics. So, apparently some BBs are set up for selling musical instruments and some are not.

For the heck of it, I went to the Gibson web page for the locations of where you could buy Dark Fires. I noticed that for WA, it no longer listed some stores that it used to list. I wonder if that means those (delisted?) stores are now "sold out" of their allotment?

More typos - they mean it can tune 500 times without a recharge

There are only 8 Chameleon presets' date=' and rather awkward to gain access too - - but who care once you connect RIP to 6 instances of Guitar Rig.[/quote']

But you can download more chameleon presets right?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dark-Fire/Community.aspx

But those are just presets for Guitar Rig. Either way, pretty much chameleon right?

they are two different things.

Those downloads are for GR3 only - and most have better versions on the NI user forum ( see our links area above)

There are 8 chameleon tones built into the guitar and they can not be edited.

Download the Manual.

Archived