Gibson Brands Forums

is it just me or is this the same df finish

DF-234

I may not get around much - true I go to Trade Shows (NAMM) - I have seen around 35 Dark Fires in person and each had a top that looked comparable to mine. Perhaps these were handpicked for the Trade show ?

But I have never seen a plain top on a Dark Fire, and the pics posted of plain top Dark Fires have been so out of focus - who could tell?

our exclusive df finish

I think this refers to the robotic floor mop applied antique stain finish on the sides, back , and neck on Dark Fire - how else can you meet the delivery schedule - and offer a made in USA Gibson Les Paul guitar with all the Tronical / Echo Audio electronic extras -yet is $399 cheaper retail price than a 2009 Les Standard and still make a profit?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/2008-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

Its rather clear that the Dark Fire shares the Gary Moore BFG specification-

http://tinyurl.com/blx4nh

but we have different binding, inlays, Ebony Fretboard, fret markers, paint finish - but we have the same basic CNC body details - but use the LP Standard asymmetrical Neck then add the Tronical stuff.

LPGMLMCH1-finish-shot-jpg.aspx

Elantric, sorry for getting out of subject here,

have you ever seen / played the GM signature model? And what is your opinion?

It was my second choice of purchase (although about 2000 euros cheaper!!!!) and i am really thinking of cancelling the DF over this one during the last days, given the "who knows when" delivery and the trouble i expect to have in Europe in case DF fixes are needed.

I've posted a related question in the thread below:

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=11731

Sorry again for being out of topic!

Thanks

Re Gary Moore BFG - no I have not played one - but I understand it has a classic 50's "C" shape neck - which I prefer.

i know Thomann in Germany stocks the Gary Moore BFG

I like it - as it has most of the specs of the Dark Fire - but no Tronical robot stuff. But I would add PU covers - its really dumb Gibson left them off the BFG line - the open Neck P90 grabs the high E string anytime you play a power chord, and my pick has actually worn thru open plastic PU coils at the Bridge PU - so its PU covers for me!

But Dark Fire is worth the wait - even if it may still be three months away - I own other Gibsons - but the feature set of Dark Fire + RIP, makes this the first Gibson model since 1972 (I'm 54) that I had to own.

http://www.thomann.de/gr/gibson_gary_moore_les_paul_bfg.htm

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Gary-Moore-BFG-Electric-Guitar?sku=520215

Thanks Elantric for your input,

Actually, i m sure that DF is worth waiting for, this is not my problem. The only issue i have is what will happen if the DF needs fixing:

1)huge transportation cost

2)extra wait of about a month, every time something needs to be fixed.

I have addressed these questions both to Gibson Europe and Thomann. Gibson was not very helpful (i have posted their replies in a separate topic) and Thomann's reply is still pending.

If i can make sure that i WILL have some support for my axe in Greece / Europe, then i m not giving my DF up!

Regards

But I would add PU covers - its really dumb Gibson left them off the BFG line - the open Neck P90 grabs the high E string anytime you play a power chord' date=' and my pick has actually worn thru open plastic PU coils at the Bridge PU - so its PU covers for me!

[/quote']

Maybe it's a matter of "sound taste". From what i know, you may get a more straight tone, full treble sound, by using pups without cover.

Of course one's playstyle cannot be compromised over this. I personally tend to pick between the 2 pickups on my Epi Les Paul, so i have no issue there. Maybe some height adjustment for the P90 string grabbing issue

Guitareal,

I think elantric and you are talking about 2 different guitars. The thread you started was about the Gary Moore Les Paul Signature series, and the one that elantric is mentioning is the Gary More BFG series.

Two different beasts.

Alouf' date=' we 're both talking about the BFG[/quote']

I fail to see then what's the link you posted http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=11731 has anything to do with the BFG

The 2 posts that you had in the other thread, and the Harmony Central link you provided in that other thread discusses the Signature (circa 2000-2002) model, NOT the current BFG model

I fail to see then what's the link you posted http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=11731 has anything to do with the BFG

The 2 posts that you had in the other thread' date=' and the Harmony Central link you provided in that other thread discusses the Signature (circa 2000-2002) model, NOT the current BFG model[/quote']

Actually, to clear things up, what happened in the other thread was just a wrong link for the BFG review, that's why i state in there that i was so surprised for the high score the guitar had received. Apart from that link, the discussion was about the BFG and i think that's clear if you actually read my posts there:

The purpose of making such a model' date=' based on interview i 've read (sorry i can't find the link now) was to make an AFFORDABLE guitar that can be as close as possible to the models Gary uses.

From what i see, the color and the pickups / setup are the features that "closely" match Gary's style. And the quotes are because you cannot expect an instrument that costs 1000 euros to play just like another one that costs at least 4500 euros. (Who wouldn't prefer a '59 LP???)

[/quote']

Anyway, the BFG is the subject here, for sure!

Yeah, looks pretty close. I had a Peavy five string piece-of-crap bass that looked a lot like that. Nearly identical finish. That's the thing about all the Peavies I've ever tried/owned. Looked fantastic, sounded like crap.

Fantastic finish on the Dark Fire, though. Gibson definitely made a winner in the finish department. The carbon fiber is awesome, too! Now all they need is decent quality control. Can't wait for mine. ;)

Also, that brown paper on the pick-guard, does that just pull off, or is there something wrong/unique about that pick-guard?

Fantastic finish on the Dark Fire' date=' though. Gibson definitely made a winner in the finish department. The carbon fiber is awesome, too! Now all they need is decent quality control. Can't wait for mine. ;)[/quote']

Didn't you buy a Supreme instead? :)

Good ;)

So you're thinking of buying the BFG instead of the DF?

Never heard it myself or read any reviews on it.

I don't really think the 2 guitars are comparable' date=' the only reason i was thinking about it is the uncertaintly of Europe support for DF and potential extra costs and loooong wait if the guitar has to be shipped to US for repairs.

But since my dealer made clear recently that he will undertake any trouble for 3 years, i will [b']D[/b]eFinately stick to my initial selection

Also' date=' that brown paper on the pick-guard, does that just pull off, or is there something wrong/unique about that pick-guard?[/quote']

Yes, the brown paper comes off from the smoked-colored acrylic pickguard. It's also attached to the same acrylic plates on the back covers for the electronics (3-way switch and vol/tone control cavities). Easily removed.

I had my Dark Fire guitar signed during the Dark Fire User meeting at Winter NAMM Show in Anaheim, CA Friday Jan. 16, 2009

Dark Fire community gathering on the Gibson tour bus

Picture038a.jpg

Picture022.jpg

(L-R) Steve Conrad, ??, Chris Adams, Toni DaRosa, ??, Craig Anderton

Darkfire-party-2.aspx

Darkfire-party.aspx

Gage Shinoda (world's youngest Dark Fire owner?) and Gibson Chairman and CEO Henry Juszkiewicz with Uli Jon Roth in the Background http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uli_Jon_Roth

Gage-Shinoda---Henry.aspx

Chris Adams (Tronical),

IMG_0629.jpg

Craig Anderton (EM Mag), Henry Juszkiewicz ( Gibson CEO)

IMG_0630.jpg

Toni DaRosa (Tronical)

IMG_0631.jpg

Milo Street ( Echo Audio)

IMG_0637.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Archived