Gibson Brands Forums

New Addition to the Family and Poll Question

BoGibsonCA

Hi friends,

I wanted to share my new acquisition, a gorgeous 2003 J-45 Rosewood Custom that I picked up for a decent price last week.

It's a beautiful example and I now have another "forever" guitar - very stoked. The only thing it was missing that I'd hoped for are electronics. Though I'm not a coffee shop guy and can easily direct mic for recording, the option is nice.

So...that's the topic of my poll question. Please let me know if you think it's worth adding and if I'm killing the originality or value by doing so.

Thanks for welcoming me to the board, look forward to sharing and learning from all of you!

post-84234-041130400 1495224094_thumb.jpg

post-84234-041665200 1495224105_thumb.jpg

post-84234-023419300 1495224106_thumb.jpg

post-84234-024915200 1495224107_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on the new guitar.........good to hear you're happy and expect it will get better as you spend time with it.

If you're not playing out I don't think adding onboard electronics makes much sense. Such additions are nearly mandatory if the guitar will make appearances on varying stages under various conditions, but for recording purposes (home and/or studio) a quality outboard microphone just can't be beat. Your instrument, of course, but that's my penny's worth of opinion..........

Congratulations on the new guitar.........good to hear you're happy and expect it will get better as you spend time with it.

If you're not playing out I don't think adding onboard electronics makes much sense. Such additions are nearly mandatory if the guitar will make appearances on varying stages under various conditions, but for recording purposes (home and/or studio) a quality outboard microphone just can't be beat. Your instrument, of course, but that's my penny's worth of opinion..........

Thanks, Buc. I was leaning in that direction, but it's always nice to have the opinion of others to open a mind ;)

I appreciate your comments and suggestion.

As mentioned....for home use/recording...outboard is fine....

For 95% of performance a P/U is to be recommended.....

How about one of the excellent soundhole magnetics + pre-amp available nowadays....?

V

:-({|=

...It's a beautiful example and I now have another "forever" guitar - very stoked. The only thing it was missing that I'd hoped for are electronics....

You've got to take bigger photos! That looks to be a beauty! I love an abalone rosette!

I don't play out either, maybe a tune or two at a party, but I love the electronics for acoustic guitars they've got these days. I play plugged in most of the time, just for fun.... msp_smile.gif

As mentioned....for home use/recording...outboard is fine....

For 95% of performance a P/U is to be recommended.....

How about one of the excellent soundhole magnetics + pre-amp available nowadays....?

V

Oooh, any suggestions on good ones would be appreciated! TY!

You've got to take bigger photos! That looks to be a beauty! I love an abalone rosette!

I don't play out either, maybe a tune or two at a party, but I love the electronics for acoustic guitars they've got these days. I play plugged in most of the time, just for fun.... msp_smile.gif

Hi! Those pics are super hi-rez, but I felt I needed to "dumb them down" so that I didn't run out of the "500k global upload quota." Is there a way around that? I'm going to put bigger ones up right now, btw.

There lots of "non-invasive" solutions available.Here's a good one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RareEarthB?adpos=1o8&creative=105593157841&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=RareEarthB&gclid=CKjHm-rN_NMCFYW3wAodH3EDDgThere's lots of non invasive solutions. Hers as good one.

Looks good and affordable! Will check it out - thx again!

Thanks much - looking for a soundhole design now with the help of my fellow boarders!

Looks to be a splendid guitar! My congratulations to you! These days, I doubt you'd devalue the instrument by adding electronics, but it seems like sacrilege unless you really need to do it. People here are steering you in a good direction.

I'd add the electronics if you're going to regularly play gigs. You can "direct mic" at times providing it's fairly quiet and no noise behind you, but beyond that a good Fishman/Baggs/etc is a necessity. Good luck with the guitar. It's a beauty. Enjoy it for many, many years. [thumbup]

Oooh, any suggestions on good ones would be appreciated! TY!

Best advice would be to attend an 'open mic' event or several....somebody there will probably be using one or know about the technology

There are passive and active S/C, H/B, Magnetic+Mini-mic approaches at prices from say £30 to £300....:blink:

A trusted shop retailer is worth sounding out too....[thumbup]

V

Congrats on a fine instrument. I have a J45 Custom mystic rosewood . I love it. It came with a LR Baggs ust , meh...not my fav so I put a Trance Audio Amulett MVT ( installed myself)and love it even more now. Great rosewood guitar and they look pretty good too. [thumbup]

I have a 2016 J-45 Custom that came with an LR Baggs under saddle pickup. Although the piezo technology has improved a great deal in 30 years, it didn't really sound like the guitar at all. I took everything out, added an unbleached bone saddle and bone pins, added taper to my holes and now it is an absolutely stunning sounding guitar. It has so much sparkle and shimmer that I never heard any other guitar sound quite like it. My 1998 Martin HD-28 is a different sound altogether, nice but not as magical.

Gibson%20J-45%20Custom.jpg

Archived