Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson USA Custom Shop SG "Showcase Edition" 1988

iamval

I was fortunate enough to get this unusual beast recently, I forked out extra for a plek set-up (on its frets and nut) it now plays better than any "shredder" guitar I've known.

At first I thought it was packing EMG 81's but they're actually EMG 60's. I've never used a EMG 60 for anything other than a neck pickup before so I wasn't expecting much from this configuration but it's great. It really does sound surprisingly great, so I'm going to keep it this way.

The tailpiece isn't matte or gloss black as some pictures might suggest, but more akin to a cosmo black found on modern Floyd Rose's (or a "chrome black" if you will)

My initial impression of the guitar wasn't good because to be honest I thought it looked a bit tacky and classless decked out in black hardware. This SG doesn't want to be a Cadillac, it want's to be a Ferrari (and it doesn't quite pull it off) However, it's since grown on me and I now love it this way. But maybe it's because I've bonded with the guitar on account of its matchless playability and tonal range. There's just something unashamedly 80's about it I adore.

It has an ebony fingerboard and real mother of pearl inlays on its fretboard and headstock.

I haven't experienced any tuning issues either (incase anyone is wondering I play in standard tuning)

I'd like to learn more about the history of this guitar. Apparently it's rare but I don't know whether this is true or not. So I was hoping the experts here could tell me more about it?

post-85513-042057800 1495486911_thumb.jpg

Sorry I don't know anything about this specific guitar - but congratulations on an interesting and rare find. I don't know that I've ever seen an SG with 3 active pickups before - looks cool, and am glad you have bonded with it musically. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Sorry I don't know anything about this specific guitar - but congratulations on an interesting and rare find. I don't know that I've ever seen an SG with 3 active pickups before - looks cool, and am glad you have bonded with it musically. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks man. From the little information I've found (and keep in mind, I don't know whether it's true or not yet) this particular SG was a guitar of the month series, from a limited run and it was released in the October of 1988. Its pickups and its hardware are stock originals from that time period.

I've heard some people claim only 5 were ever made (like the guitarist from Alice Cooper) whereas other people have suggested 25 were created. Apparently there was of a batch of 200 "Showcase Edition" models and a smaller amount of custom shop guitars. There's another "Showcase Edition" SG in Ferrari red but it has gold hardware and a white pickguard.

Either way, it's cool

This comes up every few years in some forum or magazine or another. Gibson says they made 200 of each Showcase guitar, not 9 x 20 of each. There was another thread in this forum a while ago. I remember a Blue SG and a '56 Goldtop, but that's about it.

rct

This comes up every few years in some forum or magazine or another. Gibson says they made 200 of each Showcase guitar, not 9 x 20 of each. There was another thread in this forum a while ago. I remember a Blue SG and a '56 Goldtop, but that's about it.

rct

Ah that makes more sense because the COA says it's one of 200. So why all the confusion about it, do you know?

Ah that makes more sense because the COA says it's one of 200. So why all the confusion about it, do you know?

People think that less guitars made = more valuable guitars. It doesn't mean that, but it doesn't stop people from trying to make their guitars sell for more by pumping up the relative rarity of it, and if bending the "production" numbers a little works, that's what they do.

rct

I've noticed people doing that but it's a different world and mentality to me. I'm not into collecting or trading guitars, especially Gibson's, I just enjoy making music. I'll never sell this, its playability is what makes it priceless to me. Just wanted to learn more about its history. It's very different looking next to other SGs

The pictures just don't do it any justice, it looks so much better in person (but I'm sure you've all heard that before, I know I have lol) especially after a clean. I don't know what the stock playability of the other ones are like because I had mine plek'd, they could be awful... that could have fret buzz everywhere. But maybe it's great. Maybe it's even better. I'll never know.

The only issue I've had with the guitar is coming to terms with the fact that upgrading three humbuckers is gonna be costly lol

• 1 month later...

Archived