Gibson Brands Forums

Problems with Collapsing Ring Finger

Dband

I've had this problem since I started playing, whenever I incorporate my pinky while using my ring finger it immediately wants to collapse (especially something like a hammer-on, pull offs aren't as bad), I have no problems with say a 1-3 type hammer-on, but a 1-3-4 or some other combo has my ring finger down. My guitar teachers always say not to let it collapse, but i have no clue because it seems natural and i have no idea how to not do it, I wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has any suggestions

thanks,

Dband

I had so many broken fingers that my pinkies are permanently curved in. I have problems with my pinkie locking up. The problem has greatly reduced the more I play, but if I don't properly warm it up it will still do it.

So, see it the problem lessens after your warmed up.

My life long battle. Let me ask you when you hold your hand up (without a guitar) can you curl you pinkie all by it's self with out your ring finger curling. I can't it's a genetic thing just like curling you tongue. Some people can some can't . It takes finger strengthening to get you muscles tendons and nerves to cooperate. This is the main reason I consider myself to be a rhythm guitarist I am limited all but my first finger curl with my pinkie.

My life long battle. Let me ask you when you hold your hand up (without a guitar) can you curl you pinkie all by it's self with out your ring finger curling. I can't it's a genetic thing just like curling you tongue. Some people can some can't . It takes finger strengthening to get you muscles tendons and nerves to cooperate. This is the main reason I consider myself to be a rhythm guitarist I am limited all but my first finger curl with my pinkie.

no i just tried it, i can't move my pinky w/o my ring finger but i can the other way around, i kind of assumed it was genetic, my father has a hard time with barre chords because his index finger likes to curl making them more difficult but he has not problem with the collapsing ring finger

I can still move relatively fast with the collapsing ring finger, i just have to adjust for the limitation, which is why i prefer doing a 1-2-4 hammer on/pulloff or use my 1-2-3 combo for what would normally be 1-3-4 grouping. thanks for the advice/support

Archived