Gibson Brands Forums

"Best" Gibson SG?

Mercurine

My favorite is any with the P-90s. I feel their raw tone is just incredible. I played a '63 Special once and was blown away, but of course I couldn't afford it. The modern Classics are 99.99% as good if you ask me. I used to own a Standard, but disliked the tone of the 490/98 humbuckers. All that being said, humbuckers are better behaved if you have a low tolerance for hum; to me, it's what makes them "live."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I jus bought an '02 SG '61 Reissue' date=' on-line, and am floored by it. The only other SGs I had played were in Guitar Center, and this '61 just blows their socks off. [/quote']

Yup, yours was in the "good" era (from 1999 to about 2004, with the 1999 tapered horn update and when they still had beautifully sculpted bevels), so I can totally see it owning ANY newer one, most Historics included.

H-Bomb

Yup' date=' yours was in the "good" era (from 1999 to about 2004, with the 1999 tapered horn update and when they still had beautifully sculpted bevels), so I can totally see it owning ANY newer one, most Historics included.

H-Bomb[/quote']

Whoa whoa whoa... I've got a 2006 that is by far the finest playing '61 RI I've played. Admittedly I've only played about 5 '61 RIs but the 2006 I got online and all the others I played were either new or used at Guitar Center. ALL GUITARS PLAY LIKE CRAP AT GUITAR CENTER. I dunno why that is, but it seems to be the case around here in Chicago.

Can you really tell difference between an '03 and an '06 horns?

Whoa whoa whoa... I've got a 2006 that is by far the finest playing '61 RI I've played. Admittedly I've only played about 5 '61 RIs but the 2006 I got online and all the others I played were either new or used at Guitar Center. ALL GUITARS PLAY LIKE CRAP AT GUITAR CENTER. I dunno why that is' date=' but it seems to be the case around here in Chicago.

Can you really tell difference between an '03 and an '06 horns?[/quote']

Alright, there's no question that with a good setup they all have the potential to be decent playing guitars, and there's no question that NO ONE WHO WORKS AT ANY GUITAR CENTER ANYWHERE KNOWS D!CK ABOUT SETTING GUITARS UP!!! :P

And yes, I can tell the difference between the pre-receding bevels and the current ones, and side by side you would be able to as well. For example:

This is a 2008 model (granted ALL the 2008's I've seen have looked like this, but I have found at different times on eBay a couple that seem to be better---but it's hard to tell from compressed photos, ya' know)...notice the bottom horn bevel is trying to get away from the pickguard (like the '92 through '95 ones), and how the top horn has only a hint of a bevel like the USA Standard (in fact, the Standard at my local GC has better beveling than the '61 RI hanging beside it):

d2e4_3.jpg

Here's a typical 2002 stoptail '61 reissue (notice the deeper top-horn bevel, AND how the lower bevel better clings to the pickguard outline like the 60's originals):

1a28_3.jpg

And for eye-candy, a 2002 '61 w/Maestro...picture this in a little darker red finish (like the "wine red" they used on the Classic) and tell me this wouldn't be just sweet:

85_3.jpg

To quote Unknown Hinson, "how you lahk at mess?"

H-Bomb

Here's a typical 2002 stoptail '61 reissue (notice the deeper top-horn bevel' date=' AND how the lower bevel better clings to the pickguard outline like the 60's originals):

[img']http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/hbomb76/Primo%20SGs/1a28_3.jpg[/img]

man, i would love to have a 61 RI like that stop-tail 2002 model... wow... i now see the beauty of those bevels you keep harping on.... and also glad to see the ABR-1 on there (i don't like the look of the Nashville)... (btw, i'm not a fan of any trem/vibrola on an SG..... to each their own, but that right there - the hard tail 61 RI would be grail....)

cheers

Yup' date=' yours was in the "good" era (from 1999 to about 2004, with the 1999 tapered horn update and when they still had beautifully sculpted bevels), so I can totally see it owning ANY newer one, most Historics included.

H-Bomb[/quote']

Yeah, mine was a 2001. I love it.

hbomb, interesting as hell!

I can totally see it now, especially how the lower bevel clings to the pick guard!

So, it was just that little time frame '99-early 2004? There's some 80s '62 Reissue on ebay and they look just like the newer '61 Reissues as far as bevels go.

I'll still keep my '06 though. But this gives me a reason to buy a early 2000s now :P

man' date=' i would love to have a 61 RI like that stop-tail 2002 model... wow... i now see the beauty of those bevels you keep harping on.... and also glad to see the ABR-1 on there (i don't like the look of the Nashville)... (btw, i'm not a fan of any trem/vibrola on an SG..... to each their own, but that right there - the hard tail 61 RI would be grail....)

cheers

[/quote']

I can kinda' live with the Nashville bridge without too much sweat (I mean they're technically-sound and all), but do prefer the ABR on the reissues, since that's the way they're "supposed" to be. I'm glad you see the aesthetic, and can forgive you for your dislike of a vibrola...that's why they should make it an option, so we can both be happy! :D

hbomb' date=' interesting as hell!

I can totally see it now, especially how the lower bevel clings to the pick guard!

So, it was just that little time frame '99-early 2004? There's some 80s '62 Reissue on ebay and they look just like the newer '61 Reissues as far as bevels go.

I'll still keep my '06 though. But this gives me a reason to buy a early 2000s now :-[/quote']

Well, let's put it this way, from '99 (when they introduced the tapered-horn which is more akin to the originals, even with the little bit different style beveling) through 2004 it was very consistent. In 2005 you saw the occasional one with less beveling, and by mid-2006 it had receded significantly across the board. Again, I have seen a handful of 2008's from a particular eBay seller that had more early-2000's style beveling, but that's it. I was hoping they were fixing them but I don't know if that's the case. The '96 to early '99 models had nice deep bevels, but no tapering (and weren't drastically different from today's Historics), which to me made it subpar as a REISSUE (not as a guitar, mind you, just as a "reissue" of a '61 model), same as the Historics. The tapered-horns coupled with the deeper beveling made the guitar really look more like its namesake (or an early-to-mid-'60s model in general), and with the Maestro it was a pretty close animal to the '64/'65 Standard and was totally badass. And you're right, the current ones DO look a LOT like those SG-62's from '86-'91 (not that they were bad guitars by any means, but they WEREN'T "reissues" by any stretch), and stepping back 20 years isn't what Gibson should be doing right now. Stepping back FORTY-FIVE years for inspiration would be great, but reverting to even less-accurate reissue-making isn't a good thing. There's nothing "wrong" with your '06 model as a rule, but I'm glad I've made you crave her an older sister. =P~

The bomb knows his stuff.

Never mess with the bomb..............

Murph.

Thanks, Murph. It's nice to be appreciated. :-

H-Bomb

PS...Hey, Gibson Customer Relations, you guys catching any of this?!?!?

this guitar... (from another post)... seems to have a nice bevel (at least on the low side [-X - not to mention a sweet patina

not sure which year this would be... 61? 62?

To the person who requested a bigger image' date=' here is the photo I made it from.

m_a_k_e_r_o_f_m_u_s_i_c_no__02_by_red5.jpg

Hey Hbomb one other thing. In no way was I meaning to mess with your SG knowledge. Thanks for the clearification.

I can just hear my girlfriend now... "you bought another one because the bevels are different?"

It's no biggie man' date=' I knew you were just seeking the knowledge and looking to the 'Bomb to fill ya' in a little. I like showing people that while I don't know a helluva' lot about some things, I do knows me some SG knowledge. :) And yes, that's what girlfriends and wives are for...lol Tell her you like what she's done with her hair or that her butt looks great in those jeans and she'll forget it. Works for me anyway, in more ways than one! :-s

this guitar... (from another post)... seems to have a nice bevel (at least on the low side [-X - not to mention a sweet patina

not sure which year this would be... 61? 62?

Could be anything from a "late 1960" (yes, a few got out early, unbeknownst to most) through an early 1963 model, but definitely that period. And yes, it's got the right lower horn bevel on it. Not to mention the right lower horn SHAPE. A perfect example of why I wonder just what Gibson's Historic division used for a guideline when making the Historic reissue. And yes again, if Gibson's "aged" or "faded" finishes looked more NATURAL like that they would certainly be more desirable...but NON-aged/faded options I feel are still important.

even this Gordie Johnson had some really nice bevels...

sgjguitar.jpg

(from here: http://www.everythingsg.com/discontinued_models.htm#gordiejohnson)

Yes, that's a great example of what the '61 should ALWAYS look like from the front (as long as the horns are tapered), even though I'm a fan of the slightly "rounded" tip on the old ones I could live with the sharper point as long as the rest is right-on. The GJ SG also could've made a perfect black-option '61 RI by just switching pickups and truss rod cover...not sure why Gibson didn't do that. Oh well.

H-Bomb

If it's from a reputable seller with good feedback and good communication, and you're getting a good deal, go for it. I have had a bad experience or two, but mostly I've had a lot of decent transactions on eBay. I always deal with a couple of independent shops out west that I prefer over the beast that is Guitar Center and they'll do you a great deal. Message me and I'll hook ya' up. :-s

H-Bomb

If I do decide to buy the AY SG' date=' would purchasing it off of ebay be a good idea? Or is there a better place to buy one?[/quote']

Following on to Hbomb's sage advice, there are some great SG deals on eBay right now. Another poster and I each got '61 RI SGs over the last few weeks that we displayed here on the forum. He went for a used one I'd had my eye on, I got a new one. Both of us got great guitars and at really good prices. As with Hbomb, feel free to message me and I can hook you up with the guy I got my SG from. I checked today and he had three more new ones listed.

Following on to Hbomb's sage advice' date=' there are some great SG deals on eBay right now. Another poster and I each got '61 RI SGs over the last few weeks that we displayed here on the forum. He went for a used one I'd had my eye on, I got a new one. Both of us got great guitars and at really good prices. As with Hbomb, feel free to message me and I can hook you up with the guy I got my SG from. I checked today and he had three more new ones listed. [/quote']

I think I've seen the ones from the guy you're talking about (user name starts with an "R"?), I was wondering how legit he was, his prices are fantastic...if I were a stoptail guy on a '61 Reissue I'd jump on that deal. So the experience was good then?

H-Bomb

Yes, Hbomb, that's the guy. The transaction was first class all the way and totally on the up & up. Plus, he used Fed Ex, which means he's experienced enough to know better than to use UPS to ship a guitar! Not sure how he's sourcing the guitars, but it came in the original box with all the user documents in the case. Would buy from him again for sure.

I went out and tried a '61 VOS yesterday. The store was asking over 3 grand for it. Holy crap the bevels looked a lot better than on my '61 RI! The neck wasn't fatter than my '61 RI but on the profile the shoulders felt a bit thicker. Felt really good for my medium-large hands. The bevels alone made me want it. But for 3 grand compared to the 1200 i spent on my '61 RI it's not justifiable. I kept thinking as a gigging musician what if I drop this thing. There are '64 and '65s on ebay for 6 grand. Not that I'd ever drop that much on a guitar but when you get around 3 grand why not save more for a real old one.

My bassist owns a guitar repair shop and his partner was talking about actually making me a correct SG from scratch for under 2 grand. I may go that route. Seeing that he's a skilled luthier I was thinking maybe I could have him redo the bevels on my '61 RI. Which I may do, but I'd rather live with the bevels that are on it than have to be without it while he's working on it. Which leads me back to the original question. I think the '61 RI is the best SG you can buy. If you can get past the fact that the bevels aren't right you'll be extremely happy.

I went out and tried a '61 VOS yesterday. The store was asking over 3 grand for it. Holy crap the bevels looked a lot better than on my '61 RI! The neck wasn't fatter than my '61 RI but on the profile the shoulders felt a bit thicker. Felt really good for my medium-large hands. The bevels alone made me want it. But for 3 grand compared to the 1200 i spent on my '61 RI it's not justifiable. I kept thinking as a gigging musician what if I drop this thing. There are '64 and '65s on ebay for 6 grand. Not that I'd ever drop that much on a guitar but when you get around 3 grand why not save more for a real old one.

My bassist owns a guitar repair shop and his partner was talking about actually making me a correct SG from scratch for under 2 grand. I may go that route. Seeing that he's a skilled luthier I was thinking maybe I could have him redo the bevels on my '61 RI. Which I may do' date=' but I'd rather live with the bevels that are on it than have to be without it while he's working on it. Which leads me back to the original question. I think the '61 RI is the best SG you can buy. If you can get past the fact that the bevels aren't right you'll be extremely happy. [/quote']

Yeah, like I've said before, the BEVELS on the Historics are pretty much fine. If they'd just taper the horn tips (the thickness of the body should really narrow down at the points), but use their stock Historic-style bevels, it'd be a MUCH more convincing reissue, and give me the chance to get one in non-faded red and I'd jump on that like flies to a cow-patty. I do love the neck on my Historic too, even though I've got small, weak hands it feels like the "right" neck for me.

I've actually thought about playing my '61 w/Maestro and just letting her get some use/abuse, and then having my local luthier redo the finish and accent the beveling on it to make it a "perfect" reissue (well, he's not exactly local, but close enough...he's Gibson-certified and does GREAT finishwork)...that is, unless Gibson's planning on revamping/retooling the '61 and offering the Maestro again (call it a "10th Anniversary" reissue or something...lol), or they start tapering those Historic horn tips right & offer a "new" finish option (NOT glossy-faded, new UNFaded), then I'll give them my money. Otherwise, the luthier-rework looks pretty attractive to me. Buying a beat-up 6/7K guitar isn't attractive to me, but then again the vintage (aka: USED) market started really getting out of hand about 15 years ago and I wouldn't even consider a vintage instrument unless I got it for a guilt-inducing low price.

Of course a spot-on correct repro of decent quality for under 2 grand is definitely worth considering, man. It's certainly a better deal than the current offerings on the market.

H-Bomb

I hear the tremolo keeps the guitar from staying in tune.

People who say that either just hate tremolos/vibrolas and are stoptail-nazis, they're too slack to properly maintain the necessary moving parts/areas on a whammy-equipped guitar, they've been scared off by people who claim you get no sustain from a vibrola-equipped guitar, or they're afraid to spend the time to learn how to get acquainted with one that's got a vibrola on it.

You musta' missed my post from last week where I told the story about the anti-Maestro/Bigsby jerkoff who tried to tell me how useless and troublesome they are...and he scoffed when I told him how I regularly play my Maestro-equipped Angus Young model (AND how I abuse the hell out of the whammy on it!) yet I have never had any serious problems. It's funny to have those debates, and even MORE amusing in person than on here I've found.

Yeah, if you break a string with a vibrola-equipped guitar you'll need to reach for that backup, because it will send the other strings' tuning out of whack. But don't let a whammy scare you out of a guitar. It's an added feature, not something to be terrified of!

H-Bomb

Archived