Gibson Brands Forums

"Best" Gibson SG?

Mercurine

People who say that either just hate tremolos/vibrolas and are stoptail-nazis' date=' they're too slack to properly maintain the necessary moving parts/areas on a whammy-equipped guitar, they've been scared off by people who claim you get no sustain from a vibrola-equipped guitar, or they're afraid to spend the time to learn how to get acquainted with one that's got a vibrola on it.

You musta' missed my post from last week where I told the story about the anti-Maestro/Bigsby jerkoff who tried to tell me how useless and troublesome they are...and he scoffed when I told him how I regularly play my Maestro-equipped Angus Young model (AND how I abuse the hell out of the whammy on it!) yet I have never had any serious problems. It's funny to have those debates, and even MORE amusing in person than on here I've found.

Yeah, if you break a string with a vibrola-equipped guitar you'll need to reach for that backup, because it will send the other strings' tuning out of whack. But don't let a whammy scare you out of a guitar. It's an added feature, not something to be terrified of!

H-Bomb[/quote']

I knew you´d write that! Couldn´t have said it that good myself. So I was waiting for your answer to agree with you and encourage everyone to get the A.Y. SG.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is forum member lous1952's 61 RI with the vibrato tailpiece and I think it falls under the years hbomb was mentioning as the good years for USA '61 reissues are far as beveling goes. Is it me or do the bevels looks receded on this guitar? So, even back during the "good years" for 61 reissue they varied this much?!

DCP_0264.jpg

Lou's, if I'm not mistaken, is one of the Japan-only limited-edition ones from 2006 (one of about 400 made if I recall correctly). A handful of lucky folks got a hold of them over here when they did that. Why they'd release that guitar overseas but won't here irks me. Yes, the bevels ARE a bit receded on it by comparison to the '99/early-2000's models, but at least on his they're nice and fairly even (in relation to the pickguard) from starting near the neck to the point-end of the pickguard, so it still looks nice enough (although I do wish there was a little more taken out on both cutaways). But still a difference.

I heard a lot of people fussing about the switchover to the Nashville tune-o-matic on the 2006 ones, but honestly to me it's not that big a deal. It's otherwise pretty cool, and what's also funny is most of those Jap-Ltd models also had better, deeper finishes. Go figure.

H-Bomb

The A.Y looks cool but I'd have to put some tape or something over that decal on the headstock.

That´s exactly what I thought before I got mine in 2006. But this guitar is definately worth a try. It´s the best new Gibson I´ve ever played and as a matter of fact the only guitar I bought lately. All my others are bought in the 80s and 90s. And if you really like it and just can´t bear the decal, it´s always possible to have this changed for the original headstock inlay. I´ve seen some pictures of that on the EverythingSG site and it turned out great and looks original. This guy also changed the Maestro plate, but that ofcourse cost a few bucks I suppose.

http://everythingsg.com/forum/index.php?topic=15352.32 scroll down to see the pics.

Even though I really like the result, I guess I wouldn´t do that to mine. But who knows? If I ever got a good NOS Maestro...

Greetings

Kurt

That´s exactly what I thought before I got mine in 2006. But this guitar is definately worth a try. It´s the best new Gibson I´ve ever played and as a matter of fact the only guitar I bought lately. All my others are bought in the 80s and 90s. And if you really like it and just can´t bear the decal' date=' it´s always possible to have this changed for the original headstock inlay. I´ve seen some pictures of that on the EverythingSG site and it turned out great and looks original. This guy also changed the Maestro plate, but that ofcourse cost a few bucks I suppose.

http://everythingsg.com/forum/index.php?topic=15352.32 scroll down to see the pics.

Even though I really like the result, I guess I wouldn´t do that to mine. But who knows? If I ever got a good NOS Maestro...

Greetings

Kurt

[/quote']

That does look nice. I'm lucky in the fact that a good friend is a top notch luthier and I could probably get the headstock redone, same with he's offered to build me 61 RI from scratch. But these things take time.

That does look nice. I'm lucky in the fact that a good friend is a top notch luthier and I could probably get the headstock redone' date=' same with he's offered to build me 61 RI from scratch. But these things take time. [/quote']

If I had a good friend who´s a luthier...

I think I´d buy a second A.Y. and keep one as it is and have the other one changed to original 68. There were at least 2 people doing this. The one on EverythingSG and a german e-bay seller. But the german guy changed the pickups as well. That´s why I didn´t even think about buying it. To me a Gibson has got to have Gibson pickups. And the Angus pickup is one of my favourites. Through my amp it´s somewhere in between a 57classic and a P90.

I guess you mean the Gibson pickup site http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/How%20They_re%20Made%20%281%29/

But be careful with this. The output won´t tell you too much about the sound of the pickup. If you want to find out about sounds there is no way around trying different guitars/pickups in a shop. You Tube could also give you a hint. If you search Angus Young Signature for example you get this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OmmSmCSRcA together with many other results.

Out of your opinion' date=' what is the best Gibson SG? As in, best sound and quality. Price doesn't particularly matter, but if it is reasonably cheap, that's definitely a plus.[/quote']

Well, my 61 reissue in particular , and sorry to say - it's not for sale =D> . I don't care how much you offer........:)

Its a nice guitar but your overpaying due to the name

No! Not at all. If it can be compared with others, it has to be compared with the even more expensive V.O.S.. You get a one piece body. Maybe that doesn´t make it sound better, but Gibson usually charges you for it. You get an engraved, chromed Maestro. And you get a 57classic and an A.Y. signature pickup, which is a hot 57 actually. If you would buy all these things extra with a standard, it wouldn´t be much cheaper. Plus, in my opinion the A.Y. has a much better neck for playability.

Anyway, if you want a SG with Maestro, the A.Y. is the cheapest Gibson way to get there.

But I agree with you, that if you don´t care for a Maestro, it may be better to get a standard. At least it´s cheaper. In my opinion the A.Y. is still the better guitar. But that depends on what YOU like.

I've never take the Diablo SG seriously until I saw one in front of me a few days ago. It looks amazing.

I thought the gold or red ones looked kinda' cheesy, but I saw a silver-on-silver one and it was not bad. Felt a little too much like I was playing a "PRSG" though...lol

H-Bomb

I thought the gold or red ones looked kinda' cheesy' date=' but I saw a silver-on-silver one and it was not bad. Felt a little too much like I was playing a "PRSG" though...lol

H-Bomb[/quote']

I saw the red one and was amazed.

But I could not play it given it was a CD store with non professional salesman and they were too frightened to have a surfer tanned dude handling such an expensive item.

But It looked comfortable and meaty =)

People who say that either just hate tremolos/vibrolas and are stoptail-nazis' date=' they're too slack to properly maintain the necessary moving parts/areas on a whammy-equipped guitar, they've been scared off by people who claim you get no sustain from a vibrola-equipped guitar, or they're afraid to spend the time to learn how to get acquainted with one that's got a vibrola on it.

You musta' missed my post from last week where I told the story about the anti-Maestro/Bigsby jerkoff who tried to tell me how useless and troublesome they are...and he scoffed when I told him how I regularly play my Maestro-equipped Angus Young model (AND how I abuse the hell out of the whammy on it!) yet I have never had any serious problems. It's funny to have those debates, and even MORE amusing in person than on here I've found.

Yeah, if you break a string with a vibrola-equipped guitar you'll need to reach for that backup, because it will send the other strings' tuning out of whack. But don't let a whammy scare you out of a guitar. It's an added feature, not something to be terrified of!

H-Bomb[/quote']

Easy there, H-Bomb. I have NOTHING against tremolos/vibrolas. I think they're awesome, but I don't use em' a lot. I just heard from a few people who own Angus Young SGs that they go out of tune easily. Maybe its the tremolo, maybe its the guitar. Maybe it's just that specific model, or the strings they used. All I know is what I have heard. They could just be morons. I'm more of a Les Paul guy myself. (I know what you're thinking, but killing me won't make you feel any better. :-

:)

Archived