Gibson Brands Forums

New here - have an original Robot Studio

rg0031

Serial # RG0031 - - never played with COA

Would you view this as more of a collector's item that I should leave alone (i.e. not play)?

I am going to strip the neck soon of my GOR as I love stripped necks! =D> Screw the value in the future. It will hold it's own and may in 30 years be something of a collectors item but I will be 63 then...my logic fall in love with it and enjoy it!!

I persuaded my wife to agree to this guitar with the argument that this was going to be an investment (he he). As soon as I played it that went out the window.

Remember a GOR is for life, not just for Christmas.

Matt

This is exactly how I feel.

I bought it for 3K (paid more than most of you) and I saw it as an investment, and never touched the guitar. My workhorse was a Godin, and it plays well.

But when I say that my GOR was selling at 50% of the price I bought it at, I really got pissed..so I took my GOR out of it's limited edition case, and played it...

and I stayed in shock how beautiful the instrument sounded, and how dumb I was just collecting the guitar and not playing it...

what is a guitar worth if it is not being played? it is BUILT to be played...and in 20 years, it might gain a thousand dollar or 2 in value, and you would have not played it for 20 years, so this is 100$ per year that you gained...you could gain more by investing in low risk funds for god's sake...is it work 100$ a YEAR or 8$ a month to deprive yourself from playing this gem? think about it

how dumb I was just collecting the guitar and not playing it...

Well said! =P~ I played my Robot when I bought it. But I played it only a little, to keep it in "the shape". I think guitar is like stradivarius, you have to play it once and awhile to keep it in the shape. It's probably not true, but it is what I think about string intruments.

When the value dropped dramatically, it changed to workhorse. And I'm glad it did. No guitar this good deserves to be in the case.

This is exactly how I feel.

I bought it for 3K (paid more than most of you) and I saw it as an investment.

True that is a lot of money, but the Robot sells very erratically price wise. Recently on ebay two offers were made for one of £1450.00 (about $2100) and were rejected by the seller. I have seen them go for less than that and substantially more!

I suppose it is a second hand instrument now too.

I have another theory with the Robots. In the future the playability and build quality will be the thing they are collectable for as much as them being a first edition.

I am glad all your Robots are working out for you. My favourite Gibson axe =P~

Matt

Why are all those 50's and sixty's LP's so valuable? It is because they were played and appreciated for their tone. They held their value because they were tried and true. They had the scars to show their use and are more valuable for it. I laugh at the new Fender "Worn" series of guitars. People paying high $$ for Öld" new guitars.

Archived