Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Gibson I have a Flying V model request!

Wonker

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got back from the studio.

How does it sound?!?!

Really good!

It's just as deep and heavy as any V I've owned but it's brighter and sounds like it's singing a bit more. I don't know how to explain it.

I like it.

I'm going to do something like that, but a bit differently. I'm going to use the SD P-Rails.

Sort of a three-way pickup, with a true P90 coil next to a true single coil blade pickup. And if you run the two coils in series, you get a pretty decent humbucker:

p_rails.jpg

Fits into a normal humbucker bezel, so there's no pickguard fu(kwithage.

i'm probably going to p!ss all of you off here' date=' or maybe not. as i am an sg player, i dig the trap' inlays, i was just wondering what you guys would say to a flying v with trap' inlays on it instead of dots??[/quote']

I think the Customs have block MOP inlays. Carvin has some with MOP and Abalone inlays and even some diamonds, I think. They look fine. I haven't seen any with trapezoidal MOTS inlays yet -- order up!

I'm going to use the SD P-Rails.

Sort of a three-way pickup' date=' with a true P90 coil next to a true single coil blade pickup. And if you run the two coils in series, you get a pretty decent humbucker: [/quote']

That's a neat pickup

But I was going for a real "Jr." feel with my project.

479938.jpg

I wanted to a SG Jr. with a V body. I think I nailed it. +:-@

Wonker' date=' that guitar is f***ing heroic! I just found an excuse to buy a faded V! Hey, at the risk of seeing your brilliant mod in the hands of somebody else, where did you get the custom pickguard?[/quote']

The original idea came from another website.

I want other people to do this! I want people to post up on here and show them when they are done!!! I want Gibson to see this! Gibson has been putting out some crap ideas lately.

But now I’m having a dilemma and need to bounce some ideas off of everyone. I love my P-90 V, it sounds great, tone is so much better than my 2nd guitar a Joan Jett Melody Maker w/ a Seymour Duncan SH-6b Distortion both in live playing and on recordings I’ve done so far.

So here’s what I’m thinking

1. Sell the Joan Jett Melody Maker and make another P-90 V.

2. Put a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat in the Joan Jett Melody Maker.

3. Get a custom P-90 pickguard for the Joan Jett Melody Maker and put a “real” Seymour Duncan Hot P-90 in it.

4. Keep the Joan Jett Melody Maker w/ the SH-6b Distortion to a have Humbucker equipped guitar.

V’s are my favorite Guitars and I can play them sitting down so body shape has nothing to do with this. I only play light weight, set neck Gibson scale, mahogany guitars. I’m not a guitar collector and at any time only have 2 guitars a primary and a stage back up.

I love the Joan Jett Melody Maker but the tone of the V has eclipsed the Melody Maker ten fold. I’m hoping the Phat Cat in the Melody Maker can get me close to the real P-90 in the V.

What would you do?

i don't have an answer for you, wonker. i've been struggling with a similar dilemma myself for a while. i have a (non-faded) 67 re-issue V and this old gibson sonex. i've been fiending for some p90 flavor but i'm not sure which way to go. both guitars have big routs under their pickguards so i can drop a p90 in either with a custom pickguard. i love my sonex but it's heavy as hell. i was toying with the idea of turning it into a single p90 "junior" type guitar, but the original dirty fingers in it are pretty awesome. and the idea of an 11 pound junior seems kinda weird. my v is probably my favorite guitar to play but i don't love the super-hot humbuckers that came with it. i love the sound of a p90 in the neck posish, and i've been toying with the idea of setting up my v like a BFG- p90 neck, humbucker bridge.

you should take a look at jason lollar's p90's. actually, more like a listen. they are sweet as hell. if i do the mods to the v, i'm definitely gonna be getting one of his p90's, and i'll probably add one of his humbuckers into the bridge down the road.

for your melody maker, it might be cool to try one of those p-rails that the previous poster put up. you could rock it p90 style, but switch it to humbucker when you want that option. i'm sure you could switch out your kill switch to a 3-way for pickup selection.

for your melody maker' date=' it might be cool to try one of those p-rails that the previous poster put up. you could rock it p90 style, but switch it to humbucker when you want that option. [/quote']

I would never use the switching. I think the P-rail is neat but I'm just in a crazy punk band and I’m not a very technical player.

But I do care about and want great tone and I'm really getting that from my 1st Gen 5150 halfstack, Gibson V w/Hot P-90 combination. I really can't believe how much better the V sounds than the JJ Melody Maker and trust me the Melody Maker is awesome but **** P-90 V is F-ing RAD!!!!.

I love the JJ Melody Maker, I hope some sort of P-90 swap will kick it in a$$ and put it on par with my V.

This isn't a thread hijack , but hopefully a kick in the *** for Gibson.

Hey Gibson, since you don't offer any standard (ie. non Custom Shop) models with P90s, I've been forced to do two things. One is to buy a used V, aftermarket pickups, and an after market pickguard to make my own "V90". Hopefully I should have everything next week.

The second was to buy this...

prs02.jpg

MAKE P90 MODELS SO I DON"T NEED TO GO TO OTHER BRANDS OR PURCHASE PARTS FROM OTHER COMPANIES TO BUILD MY OWN!!! PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY!!!

The original idea came from another website.

I want other people to do this! I want people to post up on here and show them when they are done!!! I want Gibson to see this! Gibson has been putting out some crap ideas lately.

But now I’m having a dilemma and need to bounce some ideas off of everyone. I love my P-90 V' date=' it sounds great, tone is so much better than my 2nd guitar a Joan Jett Melody Maker w/ a Seymour Duncan SH-6b Distortion both in live playing and on recordings I’ve done so far.

So here’s what I’m thinking

1. Sell the Joan Jett Melody Maker and make another P-90 V.

2. Put a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat in the Joan Jett Melody Maker.

3. Get a custom P-90 pickguard for the Joan Jett Melody Maker and put a “real” Seymour Duncan Hot P-90 in it.

4. Keep the Joan Jett Melody Maker w/ the SH-6b Distortion to a have Humbucker equipped guitar.

V’s are my favorite Guitars and I can play them sitting down so body shape has nothing to do with this. I only play light weight, set neck Gibson scale, mahogany guitars. I’m not a guitar collector and at any time only have 2 guitars a primary and a stage back up.

I love the Joan Jett Melody Maker but the tone of the V has eclipsed the Melody Maker ten fold. I’m hoping the Phat Cat in the Melody Maker can get me close to the real P-90 in the V.

What would you do?

[/quote']I think you'd be doing the right thing by putting a P-90 in the JJ. Wont have to rout anything and its completely reversible. You know, conversely what you may wanna try is an un-dipped humbucker. Like a Seth Lover, or a Burstbucker, something like that. It might be a little microphonic, but I'd be willing to bet you'd get more kind of cutting power from a pickup like that than something thats overwound and "hot".

Archived