Gibson Brands Forums

Still, Not Much Of A Market.....

Murph

You said "sad." I said "limitation."

Ok:

I've found lots of new and new-to-me music through Pandora, and sometimes through the random stuff YouTube throws up. Even though I've only been playing about 10 years, I'd be sick of playing the same old stuff all the time if I didn't add new songs to the mix. For playing out as a cover band, since it is a sad but true fact that audiences mostly want to hear familiar songs, not having some new (& newish) music in the set seems like a limitation on the audience demographic that will enjoy the band. With the old stuff, I enjoy finding classics that can be re-imagined.

Not at all the same thing. Imagine the reverse situation. You're in the audience, the band is playing, the 20 and 30 something year olds are having a great time, and you don't know any of the music that's being played. Then the band launches into a song you know and love. That's gonna light you up, right? (This is not actual you, but hypothetical non-musician audience member you.)

Well, I don't have to imagine the situation. I get paid well to play that stuff, in places that want to have that stuff, for audiences that want to hear/dance to/hook up to that stuff. While I'm doing that, I never look across the street at the hipster crowd over there enjoying their night of Avett Brothers and think it's sad. An audience wants what an audience wants, that's why them guys across the street aren't in my band, and vice versa.

As for limitations, we just took Californication out of the list because that is too new for the places and audiences we play, it just hasn't gone over. Whether I like that song or not, I don't think it is sad that there are bands getting requests for that song in the venues that want that stuff, and I don't think they are limited because they don't do Day of The Eagle or some Purple. Horses for coarses. Courses. Korsis. Something.

rct

Ok:

Well, I don't have to imagine the situation. I get paid well to play that stuff, in places that want to have that stuff, for audiences that want to hear/dance to/hook up to that stuff. While I'm doing that, I never look across the street at the hipster crowd over there enjoying their night of Avett Brothers and think it's sad. An audience wants what an audience wants, that's why them guys across the street aren't in my band, and vice versa.

As for limitations, we just took Californication out of the list because that is too new for the places and audiences we play, it just hasn't gone over. Whether I like that song or not, I don't think it is sad that there are bands getting requests for that song in the venues that want that stuff, and I don't think they are limited because they don't do Day of The Eagle or some Purple. Horses for coarses. Courses. Korsis. Something.

rct

Yep, you're right about "sad." I was thinking of my other post. Anyway, it's excellent that you get paid well to play what you want to play. I love the Avett Brothers! Play on.

Radio free for me.

I primarily enjoy instrumentals & play my favorites on CDs - and tapes before that, and albums before that.

Old school, but it works!

What, no eight-tracks? [tongue]

Yep, you're right about "sad." I was thinking of my other post. Anyway, it's excellent that you get paid well to play what you want to play. I love the Avett Brothers! Play on.

In my next life after retirement one of the bands I'll be in will do some Avett Brothers. I'll get my expensive Martins out for a full night or two every other weekend I hope!

rct

In my next life after retirement one of the bands I'll be in will do some Avett Brothers. I'll get my expensive Martins out for a full night or two every other weekend I hope!

rct

What's the connection between the Martins and the Avetts?

What's the connection between the Martins and the Avetts?

Well, I take 'em out now, maybe a song or three in a night, some nights I don't even pick up the acoustic. One of my bands will be an all acoustic thing I hope, and I'd think we'd get some Avetts in there.

rct

The Original Post was mostly about the market still being very small for ACOUSTIC music, not so much NEW music.

While I am and would be interested in new ACOUSTIC stuff, I'm simply not for new Pop stuff.

While I never thought I would pay for radio, I have stuck with Sirius. Listen a the Underground Garage and Tom Petty stations (which does do a lot of repeats).

I have not purchased a new CD since Dave Alvin's "West of the West" which was 2004. I actually did an advance order on that one to get the bonus EP Yep Roc records was throwing in. I do still haunt the used record stores, flea markets and such. Last LP I scored was a really nice copy of the Blues Magoos "Psychedelic Lollipop" to replace my two worn out copies.

I have a couple terabytes of music that I rotate on thumb drives in my vehicles. My wife's truck did not come with a CD player so its thumb drives or radio. I put a new radio in my truck, a 97 Nissan. It plays thumb drives too now, and with new bigger speakers to boot. Sirius is ridiculous, they don't play my favorite tunes. As I said, they are on those terabyte drives, mostly old, all good.

No one in their right mind "goes stagnant" playing and listening to music they enjoy. I understand a child would, after all, hopefully their taste in music and young mind will develop as they age and gain a faction of music that will entertain themselves for life. It's possible some folks never will, doesn't make those folks any unhappier than those whom have discovered a lifetime love. They only miss out on one of our greatest treasures. Self satisfaction. Just my OHWO.

Archived