Gibson Brands Forums

Oh MY.........love these!

NHTom

The Firebird, V and Explorer Customs are utterly stunning. Flawless.

The Explorer even has green-stone tulip keys to boot.

If I had the spare change I'd have one of each without a second's hesitation.

Considering I've never owned a single example of any of those models before in my life that, in itself, says something.

Beautiful.

Pip.

EDIT : Just looking at them again for a second the thought occurred to me that, after having nothing (much) in the way of solid-bodied guitars except Broadcasters/Nocasters/Telecasters/LP Gold-Tops/Juniors/Specials etc. to look at for six years by the time the LP Custom made its appearance in '54 - with its 'Piano Black' gloss finish; 7-ply body-binding front, back and peghead; multi-ply 'guard; ebony 'board; mother-of-pearl 'board and peghead inlays and gold-plated hardware - it must have had a similar 'WOW' factor to what we have seen here with these three guitars.

We've all been used to seeing these self-same shapes re-released for decade after decade yet there is still something a bit special about this limited edition release...

I'd love one of those "modern dc" ones, but I honestly don't know if I like the headstock..............kind of wish they came with an explorer headstock....

Would a 'Reverse Explorer' headstock do?

http://www.lespaul.c...-USA/M-III.aspx

Do we have a 'Barf' emoticon?.........eusa_think.gif.........

No offence to anyone here who bought one, of course..............

Pip.

Would a 'Reverse Explorer' headstock do?

http://www.lespaul.c...-USA/M-III.aspx

Do we have a 'Barf' emoticon?.........eusa_think.gif.........

No offence to anyone here who bought one, of course..............

Pip.

That's what I thought too...........The normal explorer head stock and the top carved body, etc........not too bad.

NHTom

I'm wondering whether the slightly tapering version of the regular gibson open-book p'head (the 'Snakehead'?) might have been a good match for the new DC models?...

As far as using Richlite as a 'board material goes I have absolutely nothing against the practice here. Of the 3 models only one variant of one model originally used ebony (the F'Bird VII) and neither the V nor the Explorer were offered in 'Custom'-style clothing so it's not as if tradition was being disregarded by using phenolic resin.

FWIW when Richlite was first introduced to the Gibson range I went in to town to see what it was like in use and I loved it. It feels just like a good slab of ebony but is even smoother.

I understand folks' aversion to man-made stuff in place of wood and on a Les Paul Custom I'd be rooting for ebony myself but as far as these three models go? Richlite's fine by me.

Pip.

I'm wondering whether the slightly tapering version of the regular gibson open-book p'head (the 'Snakehead'?) might have been a good match for the new DC models?...

It absolutely would...

But then we are talking a body and head shape too close to a certain other large guitar manufacturer for comfort.... :-k

But then we are talking a body and head shape too close to a certain other large guitar manufacturer for comfort.... :-k...

Aria with their Pro-II Series?

Yes; I remember them from my formative years back in the '70s. They were really very good guitars indeed!

Here's a current one. Nice peg-head!(*)...

http://ariaguitarsgl...product/pe-r80/

Lolo might even aprove of the neck heel - or lack of one!

No? Surely you don't mean another high-value USA firm whose founder, in his early years, became very good mates with Ted McCarty and which has subsequently been ripping-off 'influenced by' Gibson's own guitars since, well, forever?................

msp_wink.gif

Pip.

(*) As a matter of fact does anyone here remember the one-off hand-finished Les Paul from a few years back which had a serious amount of re-shaping and re-profiling to get the weight down? Heel was dressed-away; rear was contoured; a small cutaway was introduced at the 'toggle-switch' bout/neck-join area etc.? Look again at the Aria - especially the rear view. Look familiar? Aria were doing all this stuff 40 years ago!

!

No? Surely you don't mean another high-value USA firm whose founder, in his early years, became very good mates with ted McCarty and which has subsequently been ripping-off 'influenced by' Gibson's own guitars since, well, forever?................

msp_wink.gif

Pip.

Lol...

It would certainly have made for an amusing and ironic case :)

Ohh look.. They decided to go with those modern DC guitars.. Those Firebird, V and Explorers look frikken great

There are other colours

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Modern-Double-Cut-Standard.aspx#MDCSPSL11100

These are pretty cool, but only 1 volume and 1 tone control, and not sure I could reach the toggle switch it's so low [confused]

As far as using Richlite as a 'board material goes I have absolutely nothing against the practice here. Of the 3 models only one variant of one model originally used ebony (the F'Bird VII) and neither the V nor the Explorer were offered in 'Custom'-style clothing so it's not as if tradition was being disregarded by using phenolic resin.

FWIW when Richlite was first introduced to the Gibson range I went in to town to see what it was like in use and I loved it. It feels just like a good slab of ebony but is even smoother.

I understand folks' aversion to man-made stuff in place of wood and on a Les Paul Custom I'd be rooting for ebony myself but as far as these three models go? Richlite's fine by me.

Pip.

In looking further.. these new models (and some others) have what the call an Apex headstock which is a volutey type carve at the back.. which is cool to see .. they should do more of that

you can sort of see it here

MDCSPSL11099_NECK_SIDE_zpsmtbrtr2t.jpg

and again sort of on this vid

Still doesn't make it worth 4k though.. [-(

Archived