Gibson Brands Forums

Ok.. this ones a bit weird

Rabs

Hmmmm...... :-k

Starting At $5,999

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Les-Paul-Standard-Paint-Over.aspx#CSLPSTDPSL11075

A historic mash-up of colors and character

Material1 Piece Mahogany, Long Tenon, Hide GluedNeck ProfileMedium Chunky, .9" depth at nut, 1.0" at 12th ffretScale Length24.75", 62.865cmFingerboard MaterialSolid RosewoodFingerboard Radius12"Number of Frets22, FretsHistoric Medium-JumboNut MaterialNylonNut Width1.687", 42.85mmEnd of Board Width2.240", 56.89mmInlaysCellulose TrapezoidTruss Rod50's Style-No Tubing

CSLPSTD1_zpssf1zlroy.jpg

CSLPSTD01_zpsifkwhsu7.jpg

CSLPSTDPSL_zpsjylrtebq.jpg

CSLPSTDPSL1_zpstkis9qnn.jpg

CSLPSTDP01_zpsh0hnwf9o.jpg

What I find annoying is that you can see flame on some of the top bits where the other colour is showing..

It would make me just want to sand the whole thing down and start again and then end up with a nice flame top [lol]

Weird. So, paint a Les Paul with a nice flame and sunburst with junk paint, then peel part of it off to make it look like someone was stupid and painted their flamed top Les Paul and did it poorly and it's now wearing off? Sounds silly and looks worse, in my opinion. People do silly stuff all the time and now they're selling them like this. Not my favorite look on a Les Paul.

Fender has similar ones..............I'm trying to get the point.

Is the intent that back in the day someone painted it and now it's wearing through showing the original color?

I'm so confused..............

NHTom

If Leo got a call in the afternoon that Bill Carson or...ojeez, a bunch of other guys, mostly Western Swing players and early pop guys like **** Dale, wanted some color guitar pronto they would take a finished sunburst and spray it just like that they've got another color guitar. Didn't happen every day, and wasn't quite that simple, but it was a way to quickly fill a custom order for a company that didn't quite do custom in his early days. So later when the paint started to come off, which it does when you put paint on top of paint without a crapload of work, you could see the underlying color(s). That blue Jazz and **** Dale's gold strat in Muscle Beach Party were both customs that probably had another color underneath.

rct

$6,000?

Why not just buy any sunburst Les Paul for $1,500 and a $10 can of spray paint and do it yourself?

Let's face it; 90% of us are going to be really crap at spray-painting so the top-coat will start to wear off in about 10 minutes!

Voila! Not only will you still end up with a really sh!t-looking Les Paul but you will have saved yourself $4,490 into the bargain!...

Pip

If Leo got a call in the afternoon that Bill Carson or...ojeez, a bunch of other guys, mostly Western Swing players and early pop guys like **** Dale, wanted some color guitar pronto they would take a finished sunburst and spray it just like that they've got another color guitar. Didn't happen every day, and wasn't quite that simple, but it was a way to quickly fill a custom order for a company that didn't quite do custom in his early days. So later when the paint started to come off, which it does when you put paint on top of paint without a crapload of work, you could see the underlying color(s). That blue Jazz and **** Dale's gold strat in Muscle Beach Party were both customs that probably had another color underneath.

rct

OK, thats what I figured on the Fenders..........since anything other than sunburst was "custom" I could see that happening.

NHTom

I think I like the white one best.

Maybe they could have it so that there was a solvent that would remove the top coat and you would discover what sort of burst/flame you had underneath - reminds me vaguely of childhood where I must have had some sort of toy where you could do that :-k

I think I like the white one best.

Maybe they could have it so that there was a solvent that would remove the top coat and you would discover what sort of burst/flame you had underneath - reminds me vaguely of childhood where I must have had some sort of toy where you could do that :-k

Sniff and scratch Les Pauls ... Hmmmmmm :-k

:)

• 3 weeks later...

it's dumb, and ugly, from the same folks that brought you the dusk tiger...

If Leo got a call in the afternoon that Bill Carson or...ojeez, a bunch of other guys, mostly Western Swing players and early pop guys like **** Dale, wanted some color guitar ....

too funny that the forum won't let you say his name.

Archived