Gibson Brands Forums

removing SG standard truss rod cover

gibson999

Sounds like the factory monkeys attached the truss rod cover before the finish was completely dry.

Is anyone reporting stuff like this to Gibson's "Customer Relations" department? After all the self-backpatting Henry and the rest give themselves for their "quality control" I'd like to see what they'd have to say about such things and how they made it through the "5-point inspection".

H-Bomb

Is anyone reporting stuff like this to Gibson's "Customer Relations" department? After all the self-backpatting Henry and the rest give themselves for their "quality control" I'd like to see what they'd have to say about such things and how they made it through the "5-point inspection".

H-Bomb

quite true...it seems that they get all their credit from themselves...they project thru media and the idiots who just look at the name on the headstock blow it out of proportion

I recently purchased a new SG standard. I wanted to adjust the neck a little and was trying to remove the truss rod cover after unscrewing the nails on it but it won't come out. Is this normal?

Post pics of the guitar - bridge and headstock

Could be a fake

gibson is into major cost cutting... the reason the truss rod cover isn't coming off is because they decided to do away with the truss rod altogether and glue on the trc [-X

Gibson, and cost cutting in the same sentence? JOLLY GOOD LAUGH OLD BEAN. Considering all of thier guitars aside from the SG Special(which is thier budget model) START at 1500$.

Gibson' date=' and cost cutting in the same sentence? JOLLY GOOD LAUGH OLD BEAN. Considering all of thier guitars aside from the SG Special(which is thier budget model) START at 1500$. [/quote']

Make sure you don't confuse COST CUTTING and PROFIT CUTTING. Cost cutting means they're lowering THEIR costs by cutting corners and "overlooking" things while maintaining their huge profits keeping our prices high. Bad business either way you look at it. At least from a smart-consumer's perspective.

H-Bomb

maybe its just sticking on there little bit .Maybe the nitro was little soft yet when the cover was put on and it just needs a little bit to break the seal.Did you try to gently take something like a toothpick and put in one of the covers holes and see if it pops off?Don't apply much for pressure.If it doesn't pop off pretty easy then don't force it

Make sure you don't confuse COST CUTTING and PROFIT CUTTING. Cost cutting means they're lowering THEIR costs by cutting corners and "overlooking" things while maintaining their huge profits keeping our prices high. Bad business either way you look at it. At least from a smart-consumer's perspective.

H-Bomb

My bad. I got Gibson confused with a Tiwanese company making guitars in sweatshops with papermache. [-( It suprises me how much Gibson hate there is on these forums.

My bad. I got Gibson confused with a Tiwanese company making guitars in sweatshops with papermache. =P~ It suprises me how much Gibson hate there is on these forums.

i dont it is hate so much as it is pity on gibson for being a sham of the guitar company they once were...think of it as constructive criticism.

Gibson' date=' and cost cutting in the same sentence? JOLLY GOOD LAUGH OLD BEAN. Considering all of thier guitars aside from the SG Special(which is thier budget model) START at 1500$. [/quote']

not to get off topic but do you have a full size pic of your avatar? that SG looks sweet! what year is that? '61?

cheers

i dont it is hate so much as it is pity on gibson for being a sham of the guitar company they once were...think of it as constructive criticism.

I've played several of thier new Standards and Specials at Guitar Center/Sam Ash and they all played great. They felt good in my hands' date=' the neck was smooth and fast. Tone was great, it was easy to bend and sounded awesome for a wide range of musical tastes.

All of the hate I see is from people who desepratly cling to one era of manfacturing, arguements about depth of the bevels and other asthetic things. Or saying the re-issues arnt actaully re-issues because theres too many differentials, its all the same thing. Sounds like a bunch of people who fear change and demand that Gibson manfacture the exact same style of SG year after year. Why? I have no idea. If you like a specific model, then hunt it down and own it for yourself. All I see is alot of hate because they dont like thier new models compared to thier old guitars.

To the person who requested a bigger image, here is the photo I made it from.

[img']http://fc97.deviantart.com/fs10/i/2006/102/6/0/m_a_k_e_r_o_f_m_u_s_i_c_no__02_by_red5.jpg[/img]

I've played several of thier new Standards and Specials at Guitar Center/Sam Ash and they all played great. They felt good in my hands' date=' the neck was smooth and fast. Tone was great, it was easy to bend and sounded awesome for a wide range of musical tastes.

All of the hate I see is from people who desepratly cling to one era of manfacturing, arguements about depth of the bevels and other asthetic things. Or saying the re-issues arnt actaully re-issues because theres too many differentials, its all the same thing. Sounds like a bunch of people who fear change and demand that Gibson manfacture the exact same style of SG year after year. Why? I have no idea. If you like a specific model, then hunt it down and own it for yourself. All I see is alot of hate because they dont like thier new models compared to thier old guitars.

To the person who requested a bigger image, here is the photo I made it from.

http://fc97.deviantart.com/fs10/i/2006/102/6/0/m_a_k_e_r_o_f_m_u_s_i_c_no__02_by_red5.jpg[/quote']

well said... i agree with you... the negative outcry always seems to outweigh the positive, despite being relegated to a few but loud voices... but there are still those of us that appreciate Gibson - be it the vintage stuff, as much as their modern innovations (diablo, robot, dark fire, axcess, etc... you don't see fender doing anything avant garde like that...)

and thnx for the larger pic!

They put them on before the laquer fully cures. You just gotta put a thumb nail under there and push it. Under my truss cover and pickguard I found the finish marred because they put the parts on before it was fully cured.

It's not a big deal, it will come off, just be careful, I have no idea (I have searched everywhere) where to get a new cover with SG stamped on it. Also be careful tightening the screws (nails) back down, they can split your cover.

H-bomb, I commented on the "how are we doing page" about that, although they may not have posted it.

All of the hate I see is from people who desepratly cling to one era of manfacturing' date=' arguements about depth of the bevels and other asthetic things. Or saying the re-issues arnt actaully re-issues because theres too many differentials, its all the same thing. Sounds like a bunch of people who fear change and demand that Gibson manfacture the exact same style of SG year after year. Why? I have no idea. If you like a specific model, then hunt it down and own it for yourself. All I see is alot of hate because they dont like thier new models compared to thier old guitars.[/quote']

If the era of manufacturing in question hadn't produced far superior products compared to today's stuff, there wouldn't be a problem for me. The SG's I love most had come and gone long before I was even born, but thankfully when I was a teenager in the 90's I was always around vintage models at guitar shows and when I worked for a vintage/used dealer, so I got to see firsthand what Gibson was capable of. In fact, I first fell in true love with the '64/'65 SG Standard when I found one at an estate auction in DEAD MINT condition. Sold for $400 (yes, FOUR HUNDRED), and I never forgave my dad for not lending me the money to bid on it...lol

Anyway, back to the "hating". I don't know what your definition of a "reissue" is, but when someone tells me something is a "reissue", I expect it to look and feel like the original. Period. There is no debate or argument there. Don't call it a reissue (especially a "historically accurate" HISTORIC series reissue) if it can't make the grade. Done. I'm not saying ALL SG's should be reissues either. Quite the contrary. I just believe that we ought to be able to get quality, accurate reissues (Fender has no problem accurately reissuing their original guitars, for better or worse), and I believe that in this advanced age of technology where we can simply "scan" objects and reproduce them, there is no excuse for a reissue that doesn't capture its namesake entirely. Make the reissues RIGHT, and then please, by all means, carry on with the contemporary models (nothing wrong necessarily with the USA Std/Specials/etc aside from being grossly overpriced), the high-tech novelty items of the month and whatnot for the people that enjoy that sort of thing (just don't come crying when the charger unit for that Robot/Darkfire dies and Gibson can't/won't repair or replace it!). Believe me, pal, if I could afford (or convince myself in a VERY intoxicated state to dump out) the 20K or more for a well-kept '64/'65 Standard I'd get it and forget about modern Gibsons altogether. But I can't bring myself to spend that much on anything that doesn't have a roof or a V-8, I'm smarter than that! So I'm stuck relying on the hopes and prayers that Gibson will someday soon wake up and make a proper SG reissue that's gonna' make me drool and will force me to pull out the credit card to buy one (or two). I think they can more than afford to go 3 or 4 months without yet another Historic Les Paul upgrade or new flavor of SG and could instead do just a wee bit of tweaking on the SG reissues so they can win back some of those vintage SG fans who wouldn't otherwise take the current products seriously. That'd bring more of that beloved money back to Gibson-present instead of -past, and would make some of us happy in the process. No one's saying the contemporary ones can't (or shouldn't) still be made, but when you place a "reissue" label on something it should demand a certain level of expectation and scrutiny. And then there's the question of quality, and I'm sorry but nothing that I've seen "new" from Gibson at Guitar Center for the past 4 years has really been anything to brag about in that department. But you have to hold the "name" to some level of standard. Defending Gibson just because "it's a Gibson" is foolish, and is the same mentality that made the USA fall behind in the automobile industry. "Made in USA" and "made by Gibson" should evoke pride in owners and fear in the competition. It hasn't for a while. I'd like to see that happen again though. So yeah, constructive criticism!

H-Bomb

Archived