Gibson Brands Forums

removing SG standard truss rod cover

gibson999

All I can do to respond to your post is say what i've already said. I've played guitar for many years, and I own a new Gibson. I think its a great, versatile guitar, and nothing you tell me about Gibson lowering its standards is going to change what I already know when I pick up that guitar everyday. Sounds like you've had some bad expirences with thier new models, but it also sounds like your making a campaign out of slandering them. (i.e practically all your posts relating to new models are complaints, you even state in your sig that your not a customer untill they start producing a guitar you think is 'right'.) It's an opinion and your entitled to it, but personally I think you should just enjoy the guitar, whatever model it may be, that suits you best.

...but personally I think you should just enjoy the guitar' date=' whatever model it may be, that suits you best. [/quote']

That's the point, my friend, I CAN'T because they won't MAKE IT again!!!

As far as the rest of what you said is concerned, I'm only campaigning for the same kind of attention to be given to my favorite guitar as a lot of traditional Les Paul fanatics have clamoured for when it comes to those late-50's "burst" reissues since the late 90's. I dare you to go over to their forum and tell them they're being preposterous for demanding more out of their favorite guitar from Gibson. They'd eat you alive for it. I even know a couple people who catch hell from LP Standard/Custom owners knocking them for playing Studio's; there are even some folks who scoff at someone owning anything less than an SG Standard (and some would say a '61 RI). Different strokes, as they say. But saying I'm "slandering" Gibson would imply I was making stuff up, and that's simply not the case. I'm only stating my observation as someone who's had his hands on both current and golden-era stuff, and would like to see them offer those of us with more appreciation to those choice year models an option for something worthy of the title. I can prove to you what's aesthetically & functionally different, and what they could do to compromise (yes, I've even brought up some very good, sensible small tweaks that would make them "good enough" to shut a lot of fanatics, including myself, up...COMPROMISE). I've bought no less than 9 new Gibsons (a 1997 SG '61 in '97, 2 '61 Reissues w/Vibrola in '99, 1 stock Historic SG Std in 2000/2001 that was factory damaged and had to be returned, 2 Custom Shop one-off Historic SG Std's, my Angus signature model, an SG Junior and a Deluxe in '99....all sold aside from one Historic and the Angus...I MISS my '61 RI's w/Maestro....sigh) in the past decade and some change (plus 10 different Epi's too), and for a working-class Joe that's a significant achievement (and a significant debt...lol), plus that also means I've paid my dues as a Gibson customer and would like to be treated accordingly. If they would do the SG REISSUES more true-to-vintage-new, I would be a return customer and would be happy to be such. They'd get rave reviews and praise wherever I go. If some people are perfectly satisfied with their recent model SG, good for you/them, be proud that you've got a guitar that meets your standards and that you enjoy playing it so much. Most people have basic ideas on what to expect from their guitar in a few basic areas. Some develop a taste as with a particular wine or cigar, and nothing less will do. Perhaps I'm OCD or something and just have enough of a complex that I can't be satisfied with them as-is right now, or maybe it's a fundamental thing for the true devotee to appreciate. Either way, you did say that I'm entitled to my opinion (as you are yours), and thank goodness we can all state such opinions in these forums. But we must be careful to keep things from going in the direction of personal jabs, aside from those meant to be taken as jokes. When your opinion differs, back it up as factually as possible, use a spell-check and keep it from crossing over into the "you're wrong" insinuations. Some people care less about finer details, but just as there was a LOT of debate over TINY fractions of inches in the control-layout on the LP's a few years back, it's bothering someone so why not bring it up? I could take your suggestions that basically sum it up as "get over it" as a personal attack and then turn around and have a back-n-forth calling into question your apathy about it or your personal taste, asking you why you insist on defending Gibson when there are many, many people on here who have made similar negative observations as I, or simply just baring my teeth and opening up my best rendition of a pissed-off Frank Zappa on you because you denigrated my opinion. I won't, because even though I'm one of the speediest typers you've ever seen it's not worth my time to take the low road. I just simply say that our opinions are some of the things that give us our individuality, and that make us so special. And for every single-malt scotch aficionado there are a couple hundred guys who are just as happy with a cold beer, but is either better or worse? And if so, which? Viva la difference!

H-Bomb

It´s not hate. It´s criticism. And that is because they could do better - if only they tried. And personally I have no idea why they don´t. Gibsons would be the best guitars by far if only they spent a little more time and manpower on finishing and finetuning. They´re still good. But one has to really love them to buy a guitar for 3000$ or more knowing that the nut slots will have to be reworked, or ABR Bridge has bent saddle screws and so on. So I think that criticism is because we love Gibson. Otherwise we´d leave `em alone and buy a Fender, PRS or whatever. Criticism means that you care for something or someone!

I have always loved Gibsons and SGs in particular. My dream was to own a genuine SG. When it came to the time that I could afford one (albeit only really up to the level of maybe a standard if I went all-out), I didnt get one. Why? Because Epiphone made a clearly better product for the same price as the faded Specials. Now I know Epi is Gibsons cheaper subsidiary so I havn't really cost Gibson anything by turning my back on my dream but Gibson need to take note. I still love the concept of owning a genuine Gibson but until they get the quality right and the price right in comparison to the quality, I wont be buying. I want to, I can afford to, but I wont. It would be like buying a British Leyland (1980s) Jaguar. It has the name but not the quality that should go with it.

This is not hate, it is genuine disappointment. As customers, or potential customers, we deserve to be taken seriously, not taken for a ride!

It´s not hate. It´s criticism. And that is because they could do better - if only they tried. And personally I have no idea why they don´t. Gibsons would be the best guitars by far if only they spent a little more time and manpower on finishing and finetuning. They´re still good. But one has to really love them to buy a guitar for 3000$ or more knowing that the nut slots will have to be reworked' date=' or ABR Bridge has bent saddle screws and so on. So I think that criticism is because we love Gibson. Otherwise we´d leave `em alone and buy a Fender, PRS or whatever. Criticism means that you care for something or someone![/quote']

AMEN, Kurt!

I have always loved Gibsons and SGs in particular. My dream was to own a genuine SG. When it came to the time that I could afford one (albeit only really up to the level of maybe a standard if I went all-out)' date=' I didnt get one. Why? Because Epiphone made a clearly better product for the same price as the faded Specials. Now I know Epi is Gibsons cheaper subsidiary so I havn't really cost Gibson anything by turning my back on my dream but Gibson need to take note. I still love the concept of owning a genuine Gibson but until they get the quality right and the price right in comparison to the quality, I wont be buying. I want to, I can afford to, but I wont. It would be like buying a British Leyland (1980s) Jaguar. It has the name but not the quality that should go with it.

This is not hate, it is genuine disappointment. As customers, or potential customers, we deserve to be taken seriously, not taken for a ride![/quote']

Another good point, Geff, Epiphone. Let the snobs slam you for "cheaping out" and appreciating that Epi has come a long way and are actually producing decent quality guitars that are all in all a much better value for the consumers. And there are plenty of snobs out there who will. But it doesn't bother me that half my SG's are Epiphones, nor am I one bit ashamed to play them at prestigious shows alongside my Angus. You're absolutely right, 99% of the Epi G-400's I've played feel better than, and sound every bit as good as, any Gibson Faded Special I've tried out (and my bound-neck Epi "Vintage"/Faded is a much nicer guitar than its Gibson counterpart for much less money). The Jag comparison was right-on too. I wonder if anyone's making sure the people who matter at Gibson's helm are hearing comments like this...if not, someone's not doing their job, and if so, someone ELSE isn't!

I have to say one of the finest SGs I have played in recent years was an Epiphone Elitist SG Standard (made in Japan) - it looked and played just like a 1964 SG - even had a nitro lacquer finish. A buddy got it off Ebay - and he still paid over $1K used.

I was STUPID not to buy an Elitist back in '04 when I went to Portland, Oregon and tried one out in a shop there (selling at the time for less than $600 new!). You're right, they were every bit as good as the USA '61 Reissue, and even made most of the Historic/Custom Shop ones look bad. It had better, more historically-accurate contours, bevels and horn tapers than the Historic, was a BEAUTIFUL shade of red, had a perfect neck and sounded like an angel screaming out in ecstacy through the VOX amp I played it through. That's probably why they aren't around anymore, because someone, somewhere did an A/B comparison of it and a Gibson and the wrong Gibson fatcat caught wind of it. Had those guitars been made with a Maestro Vibrola option, I would've basically gotten rid of all my Gibsons (maybe aside from my Angus) and replaced them with a half-dozen Elitists w/Vibrolas. They were THAT FREAKIN' GOOD!

H-Bomb

That's the point' date=' my friend, I CAN'T because they won't MAKE IT again!!!

As far as the rest of what you said is concerned, I'm only campaigning for the same kind of attention to be given to my favorite guitar as a lot of traditional Les Paul fanatics have clamoured for when it comes to those late-50's "burst" reissues since the late 90's. I dare you to go over to their forum and tell them they're being preposterous for demanding more out of [i']their[/i] favorite guitar from Gibson. They'd eat you alive for it. I even know a couple people who catch hell from LP Standard/Custom owners knocking them for playing Studio's; there are even some folks who scoff at someone owning anything less than an SG Standard (and some would say a '61 RI). Different strokes, as they say. But saying I'm "slandering" Gibson would imply I was making stuff up, and that's simply not the case. I'm only stating my observation as someone who's had his hands on both current and golden-era stuff, and would like to see them offer those of us with more appreciation to those choice year models an option for something worthy of the title. I can prove to you what's aesthetically & functionally different, and what they could do to compromise (yes, I've even brought up some very good, sensible small tweaks that would make them "good enough" to shut a lot of fanatics, including myself, up...COMPROMISE). I've bought no less than 9 new Gibsons (a 1997 SG '61 in '97, 2 '61 Reissues w/Vibrola in '99, 1 stock Historic SG Std in 2000/2001 that was factory damaged and had to be returned, 2 Custom Shop one-off Historic SG Std's, my Angus signature model, an SG Junior and a Deluxe in '99....all sold aside from one Historic and the Angus...I MISS my '61 RI's w/Maestro....sigh) in the past decade and some change (plus 10 different Epi's too), and for a working-class Joe that's a significant achievement (and a significant debt...lol), plus that also means I've paid my dues as a Gibson customer and would like to be treated accordingly. If they would do the SG REISSUES more true-to-vintage-new, I would be a return customer and would be happy to be such. They'd get rave reviews and praise wherever I go. If some people are perfectly satisfied with their recent model SG, good for you/them, be proud that you've got a guitar that meets your standards and that you enjoy playing it so much. Most people have basic ideas on what to expect from their guitar in a few basic areas. Some develop a taste as with a particular wine or cigar, and nothing less will do. Perhaps I'm OCD or something and just have enough of a complex that I can't be satisfied with them as-is right now, or maybe it's a fundamental thing for the true devotee to appreciate. Either way, you did say that I'm entitled to my opinion (as you are yours), and thank goodness we can all state such opinions in these forums. But we must be careful to keep things from going in the direction of personal jabs, aside from those meant to be taken as jokes. When your opinion differs, back it up as factually as possible, use a spell-check and keep it from crossing over into the "you're wrong" insinuations. Some people care less about finer details, but just as there was a LOT of debate over TINY fractions of inches in the control-layout on the LP's a few years back, it's bothering someone so why not bring it up? I could take your suggestions that basically sum it up as "get over it" as a personal attack and then turn around and have a back-n-forth calling into question your apathy about it or your personal taste, asking you why you insist on defending Gibson when there are many, many people on here who have made similar negative observations as I, or simply just baring my teeth and opening up my best rendition of a pissed-off Frank Zappa on you because you denigrated my opinion. I won't, because even though I'm one of the speediest typers you've ever seen it's not worth my time to take the low road. I just simply say that our opinions are some of the things that give us our individuality, and that make us so special. And for every single-malt scotch aficionado there are a couple hundred guys who are just as happy with a cold beer, but is either better or worse? And if so, which? Viva la difference!

H-Bomb

hbomb... i love your posts... you provide a lot of wisdom and good advice... but god d@mn man!!... could you at least split your novels into smaller paragraphs!!???

thnx bro

hbomb... i love your posts... you provide a lot of wisdom and good advice... but god d@mn man!!... could you at least split your novels into smaller paragraphs!!???

thnx bro

Sorry, my man, I'm a super-fast typer, and I sometimes get longwinded because of it. Hey, at least I'm an interesting read though! :D

H-Bomb

Archived