Gibson Brands Forums

Summer project

surfpup

Some progress...

Decal and tuners on... also started working on the control plate wiring

0b1b96d4-bb8f-4c71-b472-b23242db8912.jpg

Doing my usual shielding and the standard grounding... though I'm going to use a 4 way wiring option with a series position on the switch which requires an extra ground.

IMG_8577_1.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That might work. Big Bill and I could eff it up from here, maybe get it up to anyone in Philly. I've got 5 sets outdoors on a golf course Friday, and 4 sets the next night in a not too dumpy dump, 14th and 15th of July. It'd be pretty skanky after that. No string changes unless absolutely necessary, and nobody puts guitar cleaner on it at all. Could be a hoot! I'll intonate that three saddle and fukk it all up with my schitty pliers and such.

rct

I will keep this guitar for myself

Been stuck this week waiting on pickups. They came yesterday so I wired it up today and bolted on the neck. Might wait to string it up since I have some flat wounds coming in the mail.

Loaded these in imgur BTW, let me know if you can't see them... they look really big to me!

5TC6Tc3.jpg

5TC6Tc3.jpg

Looks good Pup, and yes the imgur works.

Hey has anybody ever thought of moving the pick-up selector switch on Teles a little further away from the knobs? I notice a lot of guys take the knob off leaving just the metal armature sticking up and I believe it's because it gives you a little more room to get your finger between the switch and the knob. I tend to like to change pickups mid-song and have always fought with my little MIM Tele if I want to get off the bridge pickup because of that positioning. Seems after 65 years or so that could have been improved.

I know guitar playing isn't supposed to be "easy" and Leo figured he got it right the first time, tradition and all but still - seems like it wouldn't be that hard of an improvement to make.

Looks good Pup, and yes the imgur works.

Hey has anybody ever thought of moving the pick-up selector switch on Teles a little further away from the knobs?

Know what you mean, I've missed that switch a few times mid solo.

One common mod is to spin the whole plate and swap vol/tone so the vol knob is right there for volume swells and the switch is on the end. I have one wired that way.

Looks great.. Good job man [thumbup]

we can also still see your photobucket images? :-k

So when I go to Photobucket, there is no longer the image sharing code option -just email and web links. I think the old ones will still work - just no new sharing. Maybe?

Know what you mean, I've missed that switch a few times mid solo.

One common mod is to spin the whole plate and swap vol/tone so the vol knob is right there for volume swells and the switch is on the end. I have one wired that way.

I see how that would make swells easier, but the selector switch would still be butted right up against the knob. [thumbdn] These things could be so much better if they would just ask me [biggrin] ie. the pickup selector on Les Pauls way up in the upper bout. On a 336 the switch is between the bridge and the volume/tone knobs - very easy to flip with your little finger while playing.

I never had my Tele apart, but I can see from your photo of the control panel, that the switch is engineered with just enough room to move without hitting the knobs. Very efficient engineering, but not that practical for playing ](*,) Oh well I'll stop my ranting now.

So when I go to Photobucket, there is no longer the image sharing code option -just email and web links. I think the old ones will still work - just no new sharing. Maybe?

That's weird.. Ive looked through a few threads of mine on here and on another forum and ALL the pics are gone...

You must be special :)

Beauty!

The ubiquitous BlackGuard is my fave Tele look by a long way.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

I love that look too - and since I didn't have one, I'm glad I went that route. Think I might have to track down a real bakelite pickguard though.

Got it strung up today with some flatwounds and cut the nut slots. Sounding good. The 4th position - both pups in series - will be particularly great for soloing. I can't really deal with that wound G on these flatwounds though. Prolly have to put those on a guitar I use for slide!

Ol9EFrTl.jpg

fniPqt4l.jpg

Did you see those 10 gauge flats from Thomas Vinci I was posting about in the other recent thread? They're like $13, I gotta try em

I saw that. The ones I got were D'Addario Chromes in gauge 10 - about the same price.

I couldn't deal with them on the Tele - too hard to bend that wound G... but I moved them to a Strat I keep in open G for slide and they sound great on there!

I put some regular 10s on the Tele and have been playing it all day.

Great job - you made that look easy. Came out nice, clean but not too sparkly, 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell it from a real Fender but you got what you wanted ie the extra positions in the toggle switch.

Enjoy that thing. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Great job - you made that look easy. Came out nice, clean but not too sparkly, 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell it from a real Fender but you got what you wanted ie the extra positions in the toggle switch.

Enjoy that thing. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks. It really is pretty easy - just parts and mostly Fender parts... So it's as real a Fender as any other - Just better for me as it's customized. [biggrin] Basically instead of buying a $500 Fender Tele and spending a few hundred to upgrade it, I did it from the ground up for about $500 - which I my normal goal. Same for my Jazz bass project last summer and the goldtop Tele the year before. You can assemble a pretty good guitar for about $500 if you don't mind doing a little work.

I saw that. The ones I got were D'Addario Chromes in gauge 10 - about the same price.

I couldn't deal with them on the Tele - too hard to bend that wound G... but I moved them to a Strat I keep in open G for slide and they sound great on there!

I put some regular 10s on the Tele and have been playing it all day.

Ya know what I thought those came with an unwound G but I was looking at the wrong package. Yeah, I'll pass too, don't like the wound G ether

SNAP and TWANG? [thumbup]

What are those pups, anything special?

I had a series (push/pull pot) on mine for years but have now put it back to how I got it, original pots and wire. Still has mini-switch for out-of-phase in the mid pos....

SNAP and TWANG? [thumbup]

What are those pups, anything special?

I'm a big fan of GFS. These are something I have not used before - the Earl Slick Bakersfield set. Pretty pleased with them so far. [thumbup]

Archived