Gibson Brands Forums

Gibsons gone

vacamartin

Yup, feeling conflicted. Sold mt L-130 and my Blues King. The people I sold them to were very pleased. The money is nice, but I'm already missing that iconic tone! Now down to a few imports and (gasp) one Martin. Lately I've been trending towards inexpensive acoustics. But Saturday I was at our farmers market when I came upon a performer playing an L-200 with the original small L-body sitka/maple. The performer was good, but I only had eyes on that L-200unsure.gif My wife had to drag me away from that Gibson ! I think I'm in the grips of "Cold Turkey"...got me on the runmsp_scared.gif

The Five Steps of Dealing with Grief and Loss

1. Denial

2. Anger

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

Vaca, I think you started out on #5 and have jumped up to #3 !

I guess, if you can work backwards through the process, you can get back to where you were, with a couple of Gibsons back in your arsenal.

I guess, if you can work backwards through the process, you can get back to where you were, with a couple of Gibsons back in your arsenal.

That's brilliant, right there......

The Five Steps of Dealing with Grief and Loss

1. Denial

2. Anger

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

Vaca, I think you started out on #5 and have jumped up to #3 !

Yup, I am moving backwards! I'm heading into #2msp_confused.gif

vaca, I can emphasize with you, I did exactly the same thing over this past winter and spring; sold all my Gibsons and was down to one acoustic, my Martin HD28V. Only took about a month without a Gibby before I traded for a new 1941SJ100 RI. So here we go, starts all over again..... [rolleyes]

So you are from California? You can jump in a car and drive to Montana in a very long day or two if you want to stop to eat?. June 7th thru the 10th is the Gibson Homecoming in Montana and you will meet many Gibson folks and get a chance to play a large number of Gibson's. There are vintage as well as new guitars and if you are respectful you can play them all. Music Villa has a bunch of new and unusual Gibson's as well. NO one expects you to buy anything butt you can if you want. Remember Montana has no sales tax.

It's all about having a nice time in a very nice mountain setting. Plenty to do and plenty to see. Yellowstone is just a short 1 hour drive from Bozeman. Bozeman is a small town of 30 or 40 thousand and home of the Montana State University so there is plenty of music and a lot of wonderful restaurants.

I will have my archive open this year so there will be plenty of T-shirts and jackets available to buy. I have about 15 denim jackets with all sorts of Gibson designs and logos on them as well as 4 or 5 leather jackets. A bunch of ball caps as well. There will be about a ton of old Gibson parts as well. Think bridges, fret boards, original pickguards and all sorts of fun stuff. Lots of old tuners and that sort of thing as well as some nice old cases.

Hope to see ya soon.

Who wouldn't want a shirt once worn by hogeye !!

Find it hard to sympathise with someone who had gibsons and sold them ..: what were you thinking man !

But if were you and could take hogeye up on that offer I'd be packing right now

'Small town of 30,000 or 40,000

America is hilarious

I live just outside a 'small town' of about 5000

You have different benchmarks over there for sure

Good luck , to you and all who go to homecoming

Regards

Jealous blindboygrunt

So you are from California? You can jump in a car and drive to Montana in a very long day or two if you want to stop to eat?. June 7th thru the 10th is the Gibson Homecoming in Montana and you will meet many Gibson folks and get a chance to play a large number .

I will have my archive open this year so there will be plenty of T-shirts and jackets available to buy. I have about 15 denim jackets with all sorts of Gibson designs and logos on them as well as 4 or 5 leather jackets. A bunch of ball caps as well.

Hope to see ya soon.

Wow....that's a great sales pitch. I think that moved me back to #3msp_thumbup.gif

"vaca, I can emphasize with you, I did exactly the same thing over this past winter and spring; sold all my Gibsons and was down to one acoustic, my Martin HD28V. Only took about a month without a Gibby before I traded for a new 1941SJ100 RI. So here we go, starts all over again..... [rolleyes]" Joe M

Joe, it's only been a couple of days and I'm about ready to thumb a ride to Bozemanrolleyes.gif

I still get the shakes when when I think about the 1963 B45-12 I let go of.

You SHOULD get the shakes about that one. I sit in my office looking at cases of guitars I never play, and think about selling them.

And then the sweats begin.

Why do I even own guitars I never play? Sometimes, I'll open a case and pull out a guitar and think "now I remember why I bought this."

It's definitely a disease. It's probably just as well I can't afford to feed that habit anymore.

Sold my last Gibson, a nice J-45 about a year ago when I decided no more large guitars for me.

Now it's all Martin 0, 00 and 00s .

Oh wait a minute, my dobro's from when Gibson had just taken over Dobro but the guitars were still made in California.

OK, so I have one Gibson.

There was a time, a few years back, when I was on my beam ends and had to sell all my guitars but one, my Takamine EAN20C, as it was the most beaten up and least valuable. I'd been dropped by a record label and me and my then wife lost everything-our home, most of our possessions, my guitars...it's a harsh industry.

I always feel sad about people selling their precious instruments, whether out of choice or by necessity. Thankfully I'm not in that position anymore and am very lucky to have some beautiful guitars once again, but I still vividly remember how painful it was to have to sell the tools of my trade, the guitars I cherished, wrote with, toured with and which were never far from my hands.

I took my battered old Takamine and rebuilt my career with it-built a circuit playing just about anywhere in the U.K. that would pay me, wrote another album which I recorded and released myself, and kept on and on working night and day until things were back where they should be, but on my own terms and under my own steam. Along the way, a VERY generous follower of my music bought back my treasured 1967 J45 from the person I'd sold it to, and gifted it back to me to play again, which still to this day is one of the most touching and humbling things anyone has ever done for me.

All of the above was an important journey, and one that I'll never forget. I know how lucky I am to be able to play and own some truly stellar instruments and having loved and lost, so to speak, I appreciate my guitars more than ever before.

So, I'm always sorry to hear of people selling up...guitar sales money, unless needed to survive, is such a transitory thing. A couple of meals out and a few new clothes and it's gone. A great Gibson (or any great guitar!) is an eternal thing, something that will potentially outlive us all and give joy to people around us and beyond us for an untold number of years.

I know we all buy, sell, trade and hustle from time to time, which is all good-one in, one out and so on. But none in and ALL out brings back SO many bad memories for me.

Don't take your treasures for granted, folks!☺️

I know we all buy, sell, trade and hustle from time to time, which is all good-one in, one out and so on. But none in and ALL out brings back SO many bad memories for me.

Don't take your treasures for granted, folks!☺️

Amen to that, Jindermsp_thumbup.gif

As a man who would be absolutely blessed owning one nice guitar, let alone the several more that I own, I am humbled by Jinder. And I relate to you vaca. :)

We can and do silly things. We are flawed. We are earthly. We are also mostly males here... which makes us extra dumb.

Go get ye a Gibson back in your nest, and do it with a story that is worthy. A Bozeman road trip fits.

So you are from California? You can jump in a car and drive to Montana in a very long day or two if you want to stop to eat?. June 7th thru the 10th is the Gibson Homecoming in Montana and you will meet many Gibson folks and get a chance to play a large number of Gibson's. There are vintage as well as new guitars and if you are respectful you can play them all. Music Villa has a bunch of new and unusual Gibson's as well. NO one expects you to buy anything butt you can if you want. Remember Montana has no sales tax.

It's all about having a nice time in a very nice mountain setting. Plenty to do and plenty to see. Yellowstone is just a short 1 hour drive from Bozeman. Bozeman is a small town of 30 or 40 thousand and home of the Montana State University so there is plenty of music and a lot of wonderful restaurants.

I will have my archive open this year so there will be plenty of T-shirts and jackets available to buy. I have about 15 denim jackets with all sorts of Gibson designs and logos on them as well as 4 or 5 leather jackets. A bunch of ball caps as well. There will be about a ton of old Gibson parts as well. Think bridges, fret boards, original pickguards and all sorts of fun stuff. Lots of old tuners and that sort of thing as well as some nice old cases.

Hope to see ya soon.

Any chance that you'll have sneakers? I mean other than the ones you have on?

Any chance that you'll have sneakers? I mean other than the ones you have on?

No. No sneakers. All of the clothing I have has never been worn. It's all clean and new. I bought everything Gibson had in the line of clothing and advertising and put it in a clean, dry storage locker. I thought that owning the guitars was fine but the supporting stuff would be fun as well.

I have no use for the stuff now. I'm fine with the 20 or so T-shirts, polo shirts, long and short sleeve shirts that I wear daily and will sell all of the rest of the "new" stuff to anyone that wants to come to the Homecoming. The jackets I have are all new and I bought one size large every time they put one out. The leather jackets are amazing.

All of the guitar parts were purchased from "Wood" sales Gibson had for it's employees every Friday after work. There is a considerable pile of things I have hoarded over the years and it's time to let it go. Yes I do have signed receipts for all of it.

While opening boxes of things I came across an ebony moustache bridge with the individual adjustment saddles. These were used on the recreation of the 1938 Brazilian Rosewood J-200. No one on the planet has one of these. The adjustable inserts were hand machined by Ren Ferguson. I will sell it but don't have any idea how much it's worth. Just some of the things that I have squirreled away over the years. I bought it from Gibson for $150.00 the receipt is dated 1993.

Speaking of Ren. He's in town this week but is heading out to New York to his daughters graduation. This will be the first Homecoming he will miss since it started. He asked me to apologize to all of his friend that will be attending and he's sorry he will miss them.

Family First! Especially a graduation !I'm going through a similar "downsizing". Turned 70 this week and decided a change in priorities and life style signaled a "garage sale" of sorts. That ebony mustache bridge might deserve a shadow frame and a small plaque.

Archived