Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about a US Breedlove

ezra1

I have a Square Shoulder 1968 Southern Jumbo.

And a Bedell 1964 Dreadnaught.

I have never had a Rosewood back and sides Acoustic.

I almost bought a J-45 Limited Koa.

But due to my work situation, I backed out at that time.

So I have been looking at guitars with these woods.

I have never bonded with Martin's and I am sure that is my loss.

Breedlove makes a Koa backed Concerto E that looks very nice.

But it is pricy.

The Indian Rosewood model is about $ 1000 cheaper.

A Limited Edition J-45 Honduran Rosewood is priced between these two Breedlove guitars.

Has anyone had any experience with these Breedlove guitars ?

Are they worth it ?

They are put together somewhat differently and I am wary but interested.

If it's any help I have 2 Korean Breedloves....[thumbup]

Use them regularly live....both draw praise for tone

Build quality excellent....and the under-bridge technology is 'interesting'.....:blink:

Passport Plus C250

Studio J350 12str...(huge)....

V

:-({|=

I'm conflicted about Breedloves. I've never met one that I didn't love the sound of, and ten years or so ago I missed out on a Retro OM which was one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played, full stop.

The problem is that other than the ones that ape the "classic" looking guitars, I just can't live with the way they look. The lightning bridge, the odd headstock, the body shape...they just don't suit me or what I do at all, visually.

Having said that, I know people who tell me they can't stand the look of my SJ200 ("what's with the flowers? And that wooden moustache thing?") or my Dove ("Why does it have all that cr*p on the pickguard?" "Those red back and sides are garish") and to me they're some of the most beautiful objects in existence.

Different strokes, and all that.

Sonically though, Breedloves are interstellar machines:

I don't own any, but they sound great and they are beautiful. Build quality seems very good.

I think Breedlove has amassed one of the largest inventories of high end tonewoods of all the builders. I heard that Tom Bedell owns 80% of all the legal Brazilian Rosewood that is currently available on the planet.

Does anyone know how those pinless bridges hold up over time?

I have two Breedloves, both Master Class. They are both Concert sized; a Pacific (Maple/Sitka) from '04 and a King Koa (Koa/Cedar) from '10. Zero concerns about the bridges. The build quality and wood selection are both outstanding. The numerous model changes over the years adversely affects these guitars on the market as it's so hard to keep straight. I think they may be the best buys amongst used acoustics, in large part due to the difficulty in sorting things out and the polarizing feature like the Klingon bridge and JLD truss system. I really like them but I may be an Oregon homer [thumbup]

I don't own any, but they sound great and they are beautiful. Build quality seems very good.

I think Breedlove has amassed one of the largest inventories of high end tonewoods of all the builders. I heard that Tom Bedell owns 80% of all the legal Brazilian Rosewood that is currently available on the planet.

Does anyone know how those pinless bridges hold up over time?

In my experience, pinless bridges are fine providing the top is correctly braced to handle the different angle of roll under tension. I know some very early Lowdens had an issue with break angle after six or seven years but they've been sorted for a long, long time now and are insanely great guitars. I have a 2004ish Takamine EAN20C jumbo with a cedar top and pinless bridge which has zero problems relating to the bridge, break angle or playability. The rest of the guitar looks like it's been through a war but the bridge is fine!!

Archived