Gibson Brands Forums

Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary

darling67

I am having a "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" listening party tonight...

Giles Martin did an amazing job with the new stereo mix. It's not like he changed everything around just for the hell of it. It's true to the original, only lots of subtleties I'd never heard before are now to the fore.

Now, I am listening to CD 3 of out-takes and rough versions of these songs. "Getting Better"—my favorite song on the album—really shines through as almost an "R&B" track with the guitars and the Wurlitzer loud and up-front.

Take it from me... buying this doesn't constitute, "Lining Paul McCartney's pockets with more money for something I already have". This re-release is well worth it for any Beatles fan.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasnt aware of this release.

Thanks for the tip & the endorsement! I take it Giles is a relation to George Martin?

George Martin's son.

I have been listening to this on Apple Music. I find the out takes particularly interesting. I like the raw Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band track with no horns.

Take it from me... buying this doesn't constitute, "Lining Paul McCartney's pockets with more money for something I already have". This re-release is well worth it for any Beatles fan.

All proceeds go to paying Ringo's mortgage.

To be honest I am a huge Beatles fan but I've always thought Sgt Peppers was pretty overrated compared to some of their others. Maybe some of the innovative aspects of the album are lost on me since it was released decades before I was born

Anyway, I want to check this out. What are they calling this album in Apple Music? I see two Sgt Peppers on there, both with 1967 release dates

To be honest I am a huge Beatles fan but I've always thought Sgt Peppers was pretty overrated compared to some of their others. Maybe some of the innovative aspects of the album are lost on me since it was released decades before I was born

Anyway, I want to check this out. What are they calling this album in Apple Music? I see two Sgt Peppers on there, both with 1967 release dates

Same here. I have been a huge Beatles fan since I was like 11. But, "Sgt. Pepper's" isn't even in my top-5 Beatles albums (maybe #5)....

Even so, its massive impact on everything that came after it can't be ignored. My favorites in this new release are the 2 discs of early takes. To hear these songs as they might have sounded—had they toured without additional musicians and/or an orchestra—is worth the price of admission, alone.

I think of the time and Walter Cronkite on the news. And lots of other music. I keep them all in that place and time, so I don't need to celebrate 50, even though it was a really influential record.

rct

This has been heavily promo'd on BBC Radio 2 for the past couple of weeks. I was around when the original was released and it wasn't my favourite Beatles album then and still isn't now. Perhaps 5th. Ringo still makes it into my imaginary band though.

To be honest I am a huge Beatles fan but I've always thought Sgt Peppers was pretty overrated compared to some of their others. ...

[thumbup] It's low on my list too... It has its moments but it's no Rubber Soul, or Revolver, or Abbey Road, or Pet Sounds. :P

I think for folks who were of listening age in '67 there is a nostalgia factor. It likely seemed pretty revolutionary then. But since I was 4 years old, well.... [rolleyes]

It's a fantastic box set with the early takes and edits worth every penny. The packaging is first rate and the hardback book is beautiful.

I'll listen to the actual CD tonight with the earphones on. ( the large Koss ones that cover your whole ear)

Pepper was the first vinyl album I bought with my own hard earned grass cutting moulah. I remember sitting behind my used drum kit and playing along with it for hours.

Is it my personal favorite? Nope,but then again there's nothing from that "SUMMER OF LOVE" that I still find endearing.

It certainly was a musical landmark that for better or worse changed how albums were looked as a whole.

And once again leave it to John to come up with the killer closing number with A Day In The Life. [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

It's a fantastic box set with the early takes and edits worth every penny. The packaging is first rate and the hardback book is beautiful.

I'll listen to the actual CD tonight with the earphones on. ( the large Koss ones that cover your whole ear)

Pepper was the first vinyl album I bought with my own hard earned grass cutting moulah. I remember sitting behind my used drum kit and playing along with it for hours.

Is it my personal favorite? Nope,but then again there's nothing from that "SUMMER OF LOVE" that I still find endearing.

It certainly was a musical landmark that for better or worse changed how albums were looked as a whole.

And once again leave it to John to come up with the killer closing number with A Day In The Life. [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

I am listening to "Early takes CD #1" right now (I skipped over to the 2nd Early takes CD last night). Awesome stuff. I quite enjoyed the "Day In The Life" final chord sequence....

I love the Beach Boys but, from time to time, I find myself getting into with their hardcore fans over ridiculous things like, "Which band was more influential".... "Which band's music was more advanced for the times...", etc., etc. I end each argument by pointing-out to them that "Sgt. Pepper's" was the album that broke Brian Wilson's heart when he heard it.... and the rest was/is history. Anything they may attempt to counter with is purely subjective.

On to the new mono mix CD!!! [thumbup]

A mullet hair cut wearing country singer who's a one hit wonder with the song Ache-y Break-y Heart and is more famous for being the father of Miley Cyrus.

A mullet hair cut wearing country singer who had two more weeks at #1 than Sgt. Pepper. Garth Brooks had two more weeks still. Which is why one should never use record sales to assess quality in the music industry! [scared]

A mullet hair cut wearing country singer who had two more weeks at #1 than Sgt. Pepper. Garth Brooks had two more weeks still. Which is why one should never use record sales to assess quality in the music industry! [scared]

I wasn't using it's chart run to verify it's quality at all. Just concurring with Kelly that regardless of where people rank it on their favs list, it was successful.

I wasn't using it's chart run to verify it's quality at all. Just concurring with Kelly that regardless of where people rank it on their favs list, it was successful.

Though not as successful as Billy Ray Cyrus which is not likely on anyone's greatest albums list - nor will it ever be. That was my point... the disconnect between record sales and quality is vast and real. So describing it as a commercial success doesn't necessarily put it in great company. There are much better (though perhaps less objective measures) that speak to that albums long term "success".

For example there is little argument that the studio wizardry contained in those grooves inspired many to similar endeavors. You could argue also that the freedom given the artists on that (somewhat self-indulgent) record inspired others similarly. Even the album art ushered in a new era of creativity.

Just curious, where it ranks in your own Beatles album favorites? Is it their best in your opinion?

Wow I didn't know either and I will definitely get this. I can't believe it's been 50 years. I had the original and it was stolen from me in 72 when I was 12 along with Yesterday and today that had the cover steamed off to reveal the dead babies. I think that one was why my albums were stolen. Then I got another copy from my cousin that had a pristine insert, the one with the cut out mustache. It was ruined in a flood around 89. Last year a colleague of mine from the UK gave me another one with a pristine insert. I have it in a safe.

Archived