Gibson Brands Forums
Luis Serrano

Deckadance 2.73 pre-release

Quick question. Why is track max length 12 min?

DD is my main audio player right now.

Sometimes i like to listen a continuous mix. Or classical music.

Witch can be longer. So why u limit artist freedom.

U can say it's because a DJ has got to do something.

To me this arument is bs, because u have also a automix feature in your software.

I don't get this. In Earlyer DD versions this was no Problem.

If it is a memory problem witch i cant beleieve, in a time where usually also bad PC's have 16Gb RAM.

So if ist is a Memory problem just drop a error message when u put a to long track in a Deck.

Sorry if this post. Is a bit to aggressive. It's meant to be constructive criticism.

It's been a long time, just wondering how this next update coming along? Cheers [thumbup]

This is my personal guess, but I would imagine not well. One of the most recent problems that I am aware of is that with the closure/transfer of cakewalk, Deckadance has not only lost its platform for being sold, but also for being licensed. This is a major problem because it currently means that purchasing a new Deckadance license is very difficult (if not impossible) but being able to get Deckadance to move out of demo mode and into its full functionality is also difficult without help from Luis.

This is my personal guess, but I would imagine not well. One of the most recent problems that I am aware of is that with the closure/transfer of cakewalk, Deckadance has not only lost its platform for being sold, but also for being licensed. This is a major problem because it currently means that purchasing a new Deckadance license is very difficult (if not impossible) but being able to get Deckadance to move out of demo mode and into its full functionality is also difficult without help from Luis.

Are you referring to this? I mean, Deckadance has not been sold has it?

It would be a pity if Deckadance was discontinued—it has so much potential! As it stands at the moment, I have not been able to use it as my main DJ software—yet—but I've always had great hopes that one day I could. Would like to take advantage of its awesome scripting engine.

I realise companies don't have a legal requirement to, but it would be very commendable if whoever owns the IP for Deckadance would open-source it (assuming they have no intentions to resume development), thus allowing the original developer(s)—or anyone for that matter—to pick up the source code and contribute to the the world, rather than just archiving the code in the depths of a dusty hard drive. It's very sad that we live in a world where most people would rather watch food go bad rather than letting someone else have it. But anyway, this is all speculation, hopefully Deckadance is in good hands.

If it's not too much to ask, can we have just a quick nod from Luis to let us know how things are going for Deckadance? I would be devastated if it were discontinued. I dislike Traktor with a passion. Deckadance has potential, it's almost there. Don't give up!

Hi,

Deckadance is not discontinued. As you know we have had a few problems lately and the development has been slowed down but we continue working on it.

Not sure about the issues, but seen what happened to my Sonar, I can only guess. Hope to see updates and a possibility to get DD.

Note: maybe Magix could help with the issues?

Sorry to be so annoyingly persistent but it's been over a year since the 2.73 update—is a next update really ever going to happen?

Edited by Scoox

Sorry to be so annoyingly persistent but it's been over a year since the 2.73 update—is a next update really ever going to happen?

No problem at all Scoox. There will be updates but we are not there yet. It's evident that there is a development delay but the project is not cancelled.

• Upvote 1

No problem at all Scoox. There will be updates but we are not there yet. It's evident that there is a development delay but the project is not cancelled.

I'm really pumped up about Deckadance. I'm designing this mobile DJ set-up using 2 Launchpads and 2 MIDI Fighter Twisters, to allow me to just turn up at the venue, crack the box open and start playing in under one minute, whilst still being able to use my own gear rather than CDJs. The mappings are more sophisticated than Traktor could ever handle, and yet it's much easier to do in Deckadance thanks to its powerful scripting engine. Also Deckadance starts up a lot faster than Traktor which gives me a lot of confidence during a set should anything go wrong. You have an excellent product in your hands, keep it rolling, it's got a ton potential!

Edited by Scoox

Any news on Deckadance development? Earlier claims that the product is not "dead" are becoming increasingly hard to believe after nearly two years without a single update.

* [new] - Added "Tap" MIDI command [DD-405].

Don't see a TAP-command in the dd_commands.h.

Do I have the wrong 2.73?

Reinstalled it from the link above, still none.

Or which command value do I use?

Don't see a TAP-command in the dd_commands.h.

Do I have the wrong 2.73?

Reinstalled it from the link above, still none.

Or which command value do I use?

The definition does not appear to be in dd_commands.h (just checked every line in case I was searching for the wrong string), and it seems it will be a while before Luis can do anything about that. It's possible the command was implemented but Luis forgot to update dd_commands.h (after all it was a beta release), hopefully he can drop us a comment to clarify. Meanwhile you could try adding the definition yourself, if you try a few numbers it might just work:

BPM_TAP = 494,

Edited by Scoox

Thanks for your reply, but I'm a bit too lazy to go for trial and error. [wink]

I could write a script to easily find out (already did similar to get all midi values for LEDs), but I prefer to wait for Luis.

I guess he'll soon provide the necessary values. (valueS of course, 'cuz A-B-C-D [rolleyes] )

All depends in which degree he has the time to follow this up lately.

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see this question before. Checking the sources here, the TAP commands are:

TAP_A = 494 // tap tempo (no params), get returns nothing

TAP_B = 495

TAP_C = 496

TAP_D = 497

Given Mac OS10.15 is still in Beta, compatibility problems are not unexpected, however, can you be more precise about what exactly does not work ?

- Can you launch Deckadance and get to the configuration menu?

- Once configured (if possible), can you load and play a song ?

- If there is a crash , do you get any error message ?

Any information will help :-)