Gibson Brands Forums
Luis Serrano

Deckadance 2.73 pre-release

Just a heads up, news is out that Native Instruments have undergone significant personnel downsizing and their Traktor product line might get the axe. Apart from Traktor and Virtual DJ, none of the other DJ software supports advanced custom controller mappings. This could be Deckadance's chance to shine.

Sadly development on DD is pretty dead right now. Serato is much ahead in the game and one other company i forgot the product name (they're close to Pioneer). But both have licencing models that suck. But this addon buy that addon buy the new version. Imageline has the best licencing model, that's why i got DD. Till now i don't reget buying DD, gibson also didn't disapointed me. It would be awesome if they could come alive again.

29 minutes ago, Jabber said:

Sadly development on DD is pretty dead right now. Serato is much ahead in the game and one other company i forgot the product name (they're close to Pioneer). But both have licencing models that suck. But this addon buy that addon buy the new version. Imageline has the best licencing model, that's why i got DD. Till now i don't reget buying DD, gibson also didn't disapointed me. It would be awesome if they could come alive again.

Probably not going to happen but, if for whatever reason Gibson decides to scrap DD, it'd be nice if they donated the code to Luis so the program can continue to live. At the moment the code is sitting in a limbo.  BTW I'm curious, what's that other company? Regarding Serato, it might be ahead of the competition in some areas, but custom mappings is definitely not one of them.

rekordbox is the name. I dont know how popular they are, but like i sad they work close together with Pioneer so i think they are a big player. Traktor and Serato are the known big names. But i think this are too much enemy product names in one post. I still prefer DD because of the licence model.

9 hours ago, Jabber said:

rekordbox is the name. I dont know how popular they are, but like i sad they work close together with Pioneer so i think they are a big player.

Well, hold on to your seat,  because Rekordbox IS a Pioneer product, not a separate company. I'm theory it can work with third-party controllers  but the MIDI mapping options it provides are too basic. That's because Pioneer want you to buy THEIR gear and not anyone else's.

Didn't looked that deep into it. I just thought about 4 days ago maybe i get another DJ software for masscompability. Just did a quick scan what is out there (and used by a lot of ppl. I Would realy like if i could export a part of my library onto a USB stick including Cue points, Beatgrid, coment, ect. . That would be cool if u don't have to take the whole PC with u if u go to a gig. But i'm not motivated enough. And i don't like other companys licencing models. (Like i sad above.)

3 hours ago, Jabber said:

Didn't looked that deep into it. I just thought about 4 days ago maybe i get another DJ software for masscompability. Just did a quick scan what is out there (and used by a lot of ppl. I Would realy like if i could export a part of my library onto a USB stick including Cue points, Beatgrid, coment, ect. . That would be cool if u don't have to take the whole PC with u if u go to a gig. But i'm not motivated enough. And i don't like other companys licencing models. (Like i sad above.)

If you want compatibility then definitley get Rekordbox plus a Rekordbox controller to practice at home (or CDJs if you can afford them).  The main benefit of this set-up is you are up and running pretty much immediately, and you can take your whole library to any club and play. The downside is you are stuck with THEIR workflow. With custom controllers mappings (Traktor, Deckadance) you can decide how your gear controls the software and the DJing experience can be a lot more fun if you put in time and thought. Also, custom set-ups are more portable, for example, I use two Launchpads and two DJTT MIDI Fighter Twisters—fits into any backpack. Horses for courses.

Deckadance is the most advanced for controller mappings, but some of its core functions need to be improved, for example, EQ and filters. I have posted quite a few suggestions on this forum and the Luis, the lead Deckadance dev, is definitely aware of the software's current limitations. Because of the financial troubles Gibson has been going through recently, development has been frozen for the time being. I'm very hopeful that development will resume again soon, as there is no better time than now to do it since Traktor has lost a lot of ground to the competition.

• Like 1

With custom controllers mappings (Traktor, Deckadance) you can decide how your gear controls the software and the DJing experience can be a lot more fun if you put in time and thought.

I totally agree.
Thanks to the scripting language one can accomplish incredible things.
Me too, I fully customize my controller mappings.

But I suppose that most of you don't invest in this scripting facility, and therefor don't see what Scoox is talking about.

This is not just about different behaviour when pressing a button or shift-pressing it.
This is about a button reacting in different manners depending on different settings.
For example, the PLAY button reacting differently whether AUTOMIX is set or not.

This is also about performing multiple actions when pressing a button.
For instance, the LOAD button not only loading the track, but also turning off FX mode and looping, and resetting the EQ's.

This is also about your LED's lighting in a fully personalized way, including blink, slow blink, fast blink, ... depending on current states.
Or getting ALL of your LED's flashing when you reach the end of a track, for instance.

This is also about your mapping being available as a script, which makes developing and modifying extremely transparant.
And if ever your controller breaks down, you don't have to spend days to correctly link all buttons to there respective actions again.

There is the Mixxx DJ software that allows similar scripting.
Sadly, this is an open source project that -though it does quite a good job- has a number of disadvantages that make it little useful for professional and semi-professional use.

Next to Mixxx and Deckadance I am not aware of any other similar software.
I have looked at Traktor.
It seems to offer a lot of possibilities for mapping, but I do not see the easy script method that Deckadance uses.

And most of all ... I just really like Deckadance.
So me too, I would much like to see it continued.

• Like 1

@Raf VDM:

I needed to write a script that my midicontroler worked. I have made a view changes. I would be happy if i could get it to work like a standard controller. Because im a noob and i would like to know how standard works. But u made good sugestions. Bass mid and treble could also be reset when loading a new track.