Gibson Brands Forums
Luis Serrano

Deckadance 2.73 pre-release

Just a heads up, news is out that Native Instruments have undergone significant personnel downsizing and their Traktor product line might get the axe. Apart from Traktor and Virtual DJ, none of the other DJ software supports advanced custom controller mappings. This could be Deckadance's chance to shine.

Sadly development on DD is pretty dead right now. Serato is much ahead in the game and one other company i forgot the product name (they're close to Pioneer). But both have licencing models that suck. But this addon buy that addon buy the new version. Imageline has the best licencing model, that's why i got DD. Till now i don't reget buying DD, gibson also didn't disapointed me. It would be awesome if they could come alive again.

29 minutes ago, Jabber said:

Sadly development on DD is pretty dead right now. Serato is much ahead in the game and one other company i forgot the product name (they're close to Pioneer). But both have licencing models that suck. But this addon buy that addon buy the new version. Imageline has the best licencing model, that's why i got DD. Till now i don't reget buying DD, gibson also didn't disapointed me. It would be awesome if they could come alive again.

Probably not going to happen but, if for whatever reason Gibson decides to scrap DD, it'd be nice if they donated the code to Luis so the program can continue to live. At the moment the code is sitting in a limbo.  BTW I'm curious, what's that other company? Regarding Serato, it might be ahead of the competition in some areas, but custom mappings is definitely not one of them.

rekordbox is the name. I dont know how popular they are, but like i sad they work close together with Pioneer so i think they are a big player. Traktor and Serato are the known big names. But i think this are too much enemy product names in one post. I still prefer DD because of the licence model.

9 hours ago, Jabber said:

rekordbox is the name. I dont know how popular they are, but like i sad they work close together with Pioneer so i think they are a big player.

Well, hold on to your seat,  because Rekordbox IS a Pioneer product, not a separate company. I'm theory it can work with third-party controllers  but the MIDI mapping options it provides are too basic. That's because Pioneer want you to buy THEIR gear and not anyone else's.

Didn't looked that deep into it. I just thought about 4 days ago maybe i get another DJ software for masscompability. Just did a quick scan what is out there (and used by a lot of ppl. I Would realy like if i could export a part of my library onto a USB stick including Cue points, Beatgrid, coment, ect. . That would be cool if u don't have to take the whole PC with u if u go to a gig. But i'm not motivated enough. And i don't like other companys licencing models. (Like i sad above.)

3 hours ago, Jabber said:

Didn't looked that deep into it. I just thought about 4 days ago maybe i get another DJ software for masscompability. Just did a quick scan what is out there (and used by a lot of ppl. I Would realy like if i could export a part of my library onto a USB stick including Cue points, Beatgrid, coment, ect. . That would be cool if u don't have to take the whole PC with u if u go to a gig. But i'm not motivated enough. And i don't like other companys licencing models. (Like i sad above.)

If you want compatibility then definitley get Rekordbox plus a Rekordbox controller to practice at home (or CDJs if you can afford them).  The main benefit of this set-up is you are up and running pretty much immediately, and you can take your whole library to any club and play. The downside is you are stuck with THEIR workflow. With custom controllers mappings (Traktor, Deckadance) you can decide how your gear controls the software and the DJing experience can be a lot more fun if you put in time and thought. Also, custom set-ups are more portable, for example, I use two Launchpads and two DJTT MIDI Fighter Twisters—fits into any backpack. Horses for courses.

Deckadance is the most advanced for controller mappings, but some of its core functions need to be improved, for example, EQ and filters. I have posted quite a few suggestions on this forum and the Luis, the lead Deckadance dev, is definitely aware of the software's current limitations. Because of the financial troubles Gibson has been going through recently, development has been frozen for the time being. I'm very hopeful that development will resume again soon, as there is no better time than now to do it since Traktor has lost a lot of ground to the competition.

• Like 1

With custom controllers mappings (Traktor, Deckadance) you can decide how your gear controls the software and the DJing experience can be a lot more fun if you put in time and thought.

I totally agree.
Thanks to the scripting language one can accomplish incredible things.
Me too, I fully customize my controller mappings.

But I suppose that most of you don't invest in this scripting facility, and therefor don't see what Scoox is talking about.

This is not just about different behaviour when pressing a button or shift-pressing it.
This is about a button reacting in different manners depending on different settings.
For example, the PLAY button reacting differently whether AUTOMIX is set or not.

This is also about performing multiple actions when pressing a button.
For instance, the LOAD button not only loading the track, but also turning off FX mode and looping, and resetting the EQ's.

This is also about your LED's lighting in a fully personalized way, including blink, slow blink, fast blink, ... depending on current states.
Or getting ALL of your LED's flashing when you reach the end of a track, for instance.

This is also about your mapping being available as a script, which makes developing and modifying extremely transparant.
And if ever your controller breaks down, you don't have to spend days to correctly link all buttons to there respective actions again.

There is the Mixxx DJ software that allows similar scripting.
Sadly, this is an open source project that -though it does quite a good job- has a number of disadvantages that make it little useful for professional and semi-professional use.

Next to Mixxx and Deckadance I am not aware of any other similar software.
I have looked at Traktor.
It seems to offer a lot of possibilities for mapping, but I do not see the easy script method that Deckadance uses.

And most of all ... I just really like Deckadance.
So me too, I would much like to see it continued.

• Like 1

@Raf VDM:

I needed to write a script that my midicontroler worked. I have made a view changes. I would be happy if i could get it to work like a standard controller. Because im a noob and i would like to know how standard works. But u made good sugestions. Bass mid and treble could also be reset when loading a new track.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:11 PM, Raf VDM said:

So me too, I would much like to see it continued.

Fingers crossed. Luis Serrano no longer works at Gibson/StantonDJ. If they decide the product is no longer financially viable, they should either try to sell the rights or open-source it. Either way it's probably going to be a while before anything happens.

Gibson seem to have the reverse Midas touch. It was a close call for Cakewalk, but luckily for the DAW fans BandLab rescued it from Gibson. I just hope someone would do the same for Deckadance. The software has huge potential precisely because it's it's designed to be as flexible as possible so that any controller can be supported. With other DJ software, controller manufacturers usually need to design their hardware to function in the specific manner Traktor/Serato/Rekordbox expects. I suppose VirtualDJ is also a very open platform but the mapping system is very counter-intuitive. VirtualDJ is also vastly overpriced.

From what I've seen most people who purchase DJ software expect it to work out of the box, even if the software provides a mouse-friendly way to create mappings like Traktor. I'm pretty sure anyone who can create a Traktor mapping from scratch could look through a couple of Deckadance scripts and have the basics down after a couple of hours, by trial and error. I did and I'm not even a programmer.

I suspect third-party controller manufacturers who create mappings for competing platforms are much happier to make Deckadance mappings than, say, Traktor or VDJ mappings, but they don't publicly express preference because they want to be friends with everyone.

ATM the situation for controllerists is far from ideal.

• Rekordbox has great collection management but the mapping system is too basic, and Pioneer controllers either suck or are ginormous if you want all the features. However, it is compatible with CDJs which is probably the main reason why it's become so popular.
  • Traktor is a good all-rounder, with quality FX and flexible—though tedious—mapping system, but is in a limbo at the moment and collection management still doesn't have smart playlists which has been one of the top requests for 8 years and counting.
  • VDJ is a jack of all trades—can do everything but doesn't do anything particularly well, and has some of the worst sound FX of the bunch, as well as being overpriced and having a mapping system that is too cryptic (basically like super long Excel formulas). It does have parallel waveforms that can zoom out very far, good for aligning drops. Deckadance can do this too.
  • Serato has many virtues but flexibility ain't one of them. Custom mappings are basically impossible.

Deckadance is actually quite very close to filling the voids. I've done some gigs with Deckadance and it works well. I would like the browser to have filters like Rekordbox, full-cut EQs and filter, and better and more flexible FX. Deckascript is lacking a few commands but those should be easy to add (e.g. adjust parallel waveform zoom level).

• Like 1

ThY for the update. Lets hope for the best.

I have a old Denon controller. So i get news from them they have they'r own DJ software now too.

I have downloaded it but not installed. Maybe u can check it out. I guess the Demo is free. Dont know anything aboud it no time.

9 hours ago, Jabber said:

ThY for the update. Lets hope for the best.

I have a old Denon controller. So i get news from them they have they'r own DJ software now too.

I have downloaded it but not installed. Maybe u can check it out. I guess the Demo is free. Dont know anything aboud it no time.

They have Denon Engine, but it's not full-blown DJ software like Rekordbox DJ (source):

Can I DJ with Denon Engine Prime? No, the Engine Prime software is primarily used to organise, manage and prepare music. There is a dual layer feature which allows you to play two tracks together using SYNC with a crossfader to fade between the two.

However, I'm sure Denon devs are working hard to catch up with Rekordbox DJ and  so far they are doing a great job.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jabber said:

Maybe Denon can buy Deckadance from gipson. Just an idea. Would be cool if we could migrate like from imageline to gipson. 

They don't need to because they already have their own Engine Prime software which they are working on to catch up with Rekordbox. It would be nice if they copied some ideas from Deckadance (per-FX eq, deckascript, etc). Only a company that makes mainly software, or one that makes hardware but doesn't yet have any decent DJ software of their own, might be interested in buying Deckadance.

It would be nice if Denon gave their users proper controller scripting like Deckadance but I highly doubt that will ever happen because it would make  too easy for people to map third-party gear instead of buying Denon gear—Denon's main source of revenue. 

I'm guessing NI Traktor has flexible controller mapping only because, when it was initially released, NI didn't make any hardware (they were mainly a software company). Later they started making controllers and the mapping manager was simply left in place. Today, for a lot of us who prefer making our own mappings, customization is the software's strongest selling point, but we are a minority.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:27 AM, Scoox said:

..., but we are a minority.

Indeed, and alas........ 😥

Best would be in fact -as Scoox mentioned- that the source code becomes available and continues as an Open Source Project.
Mostly because next to some possible nice additions, a number of corrections or ameliorations need to be applied.

I've got another major concern however!

I'm thinking of replacing my DJ-laptop and currently there is NO WAY TO ACTIVATE Deckadance 2 on another PC.
OK, there is an unlocked version available, but alas it appears to be not fully functional.
For instance, Automix seems not to work in that version.

The activation issue may be a hard reality for everyone heading towards a laptop replacement.

3 hours ago, Raf VDM said:

The activation issue may be a hard reality for everyone heading towards a laptop replacement.

Don't you just enter your registration number into Deckadance and that's it? I can't remember how I did it last time but mine seems to be working fine on my new laptop, and that was only a few months ago.

OK.... so this wil NOT become a general issue.
Luckily for many (?) of you.

No, I do not just enter my registration number.

For what I recall it went something like this:
First I had to generate some request file from within DD2.
This I had to upload into a personal account on the Cakewalk site, which generated a registration file.
I downloaded the registration file and imported it into DD2.
Done!

But since quite some time Cakewalk does not support this registration method anymore, so I'm blocked for new installs.
Even reinstalling Windows on my DJ PC has become a dangerous thing.

I never realized that there was an easy registration method.
Are we all talking version 2.73 beta?
Are there different 2.73 versions then?
I'm even not sure if there's a way to enter such a number in DD, can't verify that right now.

It's Luis who had sent me the unlocked  version.
I will see one of these days if I can enter my registration key (showing in DD) in it.
With  a bit of luck this might render it fully functional.
On the other hand... it's a DVS version and my registration was for the Standard Edition.
So I have no clue if it can work at all.

2 hours ago, TheMoroney said:

One last chance if anyone wants to.  I made a petition.  I don't know if it will do any good but i figure we at least need to try.

http://chng.it/qWrh7Y96FG

I've signed it but Gibson recently told me in an email they had plans continue to update the software, though they didn't have a timeline. I remain optimistic but I think the software might have better prospects if it went open source.

If Gibson cannot profit from Deckadance, it surely would be better press for Gibson to do the honourable thing and unlock the source.

Edited by Scoox

7 hours ago, TheMoroney said:

Given that [...] the software has been moved to legacy

Has it? The software is still there and I can't see 'legacy' anywhere. The website looks as bad as it always has though which does make it look like 'legacy'.