Gibson Brands Forums

Looper talk

surfpup

I really hate loopers. I see their value as a practice and performance tool. I still hate them. I dislike the stomping and the glitching and the artifice of it all.

And still I bought another one! This Ditto X4 promised two separate stereo channels of infinite looping goodness! So I caved.

So far I gotta admit it has been fun. Since both it and the Roland Space Echo I have are true stereo (in and out) I have it set up where I can record a bass loop into the bass amp on the left and then guitar loops and live improvisations on the right.

The loops are basically independent so it sounds like two guys instead of a mash through one amp. And I can add spacey sound effects to either side via the Space Echo pedal (you can see the effects I am using on the stand in pic 2 - a Keeley Monterey, a Klon clone I made and the Roland Space Echo).

I still hate the looping process, but it has been a pretty fun way to jam so far. My plan is to sorta leave it set up (since none of it really needs to go to a gig) and just be able to jam when the mood strikes.

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8282.jpg

I hardly use my ditto (the original) but I like the concept of looping. If I had more time, it would be useful. I know it is for practice. So they are completely independent from one another? As in you could have totally different time on them? Can you keep adding to one loop and then use the other to mute and unmute something? I don't know, it sounds weird to have them totally independent.

... So they are completely independent from one another? As in you could have totally different time on them? Can you keep adding to one loop and then use the other to mute and unmute something? I don't know, it sounds weird to have them totally independent.

Yes and no. You can have them in sync (where they share time signatures) or totally independent. You can call them in or out as well. Add or remove loops. Stop and restart each loop. Or stop and restart them all for like a breakdown. The stereo advantage for me involves keeping the bass signal separate into an actual amp.

I keep them in sync (thus far) and can add to or remove from either loop. Generally I set up a bass loop one one channel and leave it alone. Then I improvise guitar on the other channel - or add a subtle rhythm figure to that side first before improvising.

I've only had it for like a week - but that's where I'm at so far. The main selling point to me was the true stereo (in and out) so that I could separate the bass track.

Yeah they are fun but take some practice... But as said, its a cool way to jam or practice a solo or whatever...

I know its been posted before but this is still one of my favourite looper performances ever.

Wow,, looks like the ditto has come a long way since the original, which I have.

And now that you mention it,, I also hate mine. It was fun at first. But it's just way more fun

playing with real people.

And I don't need my damn mistakes on a fukking loop.. I rather just let them go.

lol.

Archived