Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at the toasted top in a different light

62burst

Ok- so it started out with the usual methods suggested to help a recently minted guitar to open up, then things moved on to how to help cure the wood and glues inside of the guitar. Some time with the guitar in the stand in the sunshine proved to quickly show temperature readings in the mid 90°'s (mid 30's C)- a bit risky. An ultraviolet curing lamp turned out to be a much safer and cooler route, mounted outside the guitar with a convex mirror inside, bouncing the light around inside of the guitar. But something was noticed on the way to all of that- the torrefied wood on the Hummingbird Vintage showed some unusual differences in the grain from that of a non-torrefied Hummingbird:

vgE12vB.jpg

. . . not at all visible in natural light:

OLZnVf2.jpg

. . . a non-toasted 'Bird had to be checked for comparison:

EPWyLkm.jpg

-> some evidence of the effect, but really had to look for it.

Taking a look a some 1940's Gibsons gave little, or nothing like the above. Only showing the aged lacquer as green, and the weather checking and wear as would be expected

('46 Southern Jumbo, here):

Ih1BL8B.jpg

same area in daylight:

noIxljL.jpg

All in good fun/ thought I'd share.

The slightly surrealistic thread is appreciated. Splendid pictures.

Exactly what was your purpose in the first place, 62b ?

Originally, just wondering about all of the things that go into producing a change in a guitar's sound as it ages. When a top vibrates, what kind of air movement is there into, and out of the soundhole? Why do some guitar builders seal the inside of the guitar body? Belief in the hardening changes in glues, clarification- stuff that people who like old guitars hear, but can't prove. Well, something's happening here: the wood is definitely opened up through the torrefication process- at least in a physical sense. Those who are waiting to see what the long term durability of wood cured at high temperature in the absence of oxygen may very well have good reason to be skeptical.

We've reached a new level here folks

��

What am I supposed to see in the pictures ?

Don't hurt yourself. . . all in good fun. . . I guess they could be used to make music, too.

Originally, just wondering about all of the things that go into producing a change in a guitar's sound as it ages. When a top vibrates, what kind of air movement is there into, and out of the soundhole? Why do some guitar builders seal the inside of the guitar body? Belief in the hardening changes in glues, clarification- stuff that people who like old guitars hear, but can't prove. Well, something's happening here: the wood is definitely opened up through the torrefication process- at least in a physical sense. Those who are waiting to see what the long term durability of wood cured in the absence of oxygen may very well have good reason to be skeptical.

Don't hurt yourself. . . all in good fun. . . I guess they could be used to make music, too.

Ah it's all fun isn't it

I like stuff like this

Maybe I need to look it up on a pc or something with a decent screen size other than my phone which is what I do pretty much all of my foruming on

Or maybe glassss 😄

I wonder how much of that visual is down to the torrefication process and just down to grain variations between pieces of Sitka? It's very interesting but hard to get an apples-to-apples comparison.

I've only played one torrefied too guitar, a few weeks ago my local music store had a little parlour in, an Ibanez I think. Around the £300 mark as I recall. I wasn't expecting much as cheap parlours rarely push my buttons (with the exception of my little 2001 L-1 shaped early EL-00), but this was a really superb sounding box. Dry and airy and old sounding with a nice warm top end and a cool thump in the bass. Just begged for country blues and had a really good dynamic range.

If it improves stuff that much, I might have myself torrefied!

Archived