Gibson Brands Forums

New Buttons

Dave F

I bought a new L5 last year and did not care for the bridge and buttons.

I immediately made a new Ebony bridge to replace the tune-o-matic.

I looked around for some imperials to replace the Schaller M6 Tulips. After looking around I decided to order these replacement buttons instead of replacing the entire tuner. I like 'em.

FD69D4E5-6AE8-4258-8B62-A4B39349E3FB_zpsrzuulypf.jpg

95F527B8-4173-4FB8-B8B8-04F44377D643_zpsbyd4inrl.jpg

I did the exact same thing years ago, but had to re-machine the keyed slot in the buttons to fit the tuner shafts of the unidentifiable "Gibson" branded tuners. Probably the Imperial/Metric thing. I hope yours were a direct replacement, as the mod was very tedious and time consuming. I then took it one step further with a "vintage" style TRC:

4172741064_e01d60d689_o.jpg

After making many contacts with custom luthiers, Gibson and Gibson warranty dealers, to no avail, I had to hand carve my own bridge from a chunk of ebony I got from a violin maker friend. It took two trys to get it just right, as I first ASSUMED copying a 40's Gibson bridge would then intonate properly,..... WRONG.

5923888423_2325937654_o.jpg

I did the exact same thing years ago, but had to re-machine the keyed slot in the buttons to fit the tuner shafts of the unidentifiable "Gibson" branded tuners. Probably the Imperial/Metric thing. I hope yours were a direct replacement, as the mod was very tedious and time consuming. I then took it one step further with a "vintage" style TRC:

4172741064_e01d60d689_o.jpg

After making many contacts with custom luthiers, Gibson and Gibson warranty dealers, to no avail, I had to hand carve my own bridge from a chunk of ebony I got from a violin maker friend. It took two trys to get it just right, as I first ASSUMED copying a 40's Gibson bridge would then intonate properly,..... WRONG.

5923888423_2325937654_o.jpg

Buttons were a direct replacement with no mods.

I believe you saw the bridge I made. Did not look correct on the intonation but it was spot on. Since then, I've tried quite a few strings to see what I like. I've noticed that the different gage normally requires a tweak of the truss rod and a change in the intonation. After all the playing around, I think I'm going back to what I started with. Will be interesting to see if the intonation comes back.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm not sure I ever knew yours was an acoustic L-5C.

My "acoustic" archtop is the L-7 that you made the bridge for, thanks again. My DREAM acoustic archtop would be a 1948 L-5P.

L-5 Premier Limited run of 10 from 2014

L-5 Premier Limited run of 10 from 2014

Ah, so it is designated a "P".......SCHWEEEEEET!

I love to get my greasy little paws on that guitar.

What strings are you using on it?

EDIT: Is that a Nashville or Bozeman built guitar?

Rainbow put these on them when they set it up

C7C9E0FA-1C2B-4412-97E6-8CACD8B43B42_zpszzgiymbu.jpg

I've since tried about a half a dozen different acoustic strings but I think I'm going back to them.

It was built at the Nashville Custom shop.

Archived