Gibson Brands Forums

My American Friends...Strange times with the US-UK economy

Duende

I have noticed with the pound so week against the dollar there are some bargains to be had, especially on high end Les Paul's.

here is a VOS 1959 Les Paul from Guitar Centre for over $7000

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom-1959-Les-Paul-Standard--VOS--Electric-Guitar-520184-i1435200.gc

Here it is on a UK site for £3699, around $5000!!

http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=gbslpr9vowcnh1

The 57 Black Beauty is around $4800 in GC and in places like Peter Cooks in London £2700, about $4000.

I remember in the old days when I visited the US I always dreamed of bagging a 'half price' guitar. Those days for now have gone for me and other British people?

Matt

Its really crazy at the moment. Like you say, all imports have gone up drastically. Its kinda good news and bad news for me though. I paid £1500 for my new 08 LP standard in October, and they are now almost £2000 anywhere you look. However, my plans to buy a new Traditional in a couple of months have been hampered as they have risen from about £1300 to £1700!

I can't win!

Matt in 86 I was stationed in the UK' date=' in Suffolk at RAF Lakenheath and it was a great time to buy stuff. The pound got down to 1.06 per quid.

Good deals, I purchased my Marshall then. Also way back then Jim could not give away his amps so they were cheaper than Peavey. [/quote']

Are you still in the services? Recent politics aside as a dedicated musician I find the discipline and ethos of the forces inspiring!

Suffolk! cool.

When I was in the US last August I was surprised that mach 3 razor blades in walmart were the same as I pay for them in London. It is tradition LOL we are meant to be deer in comparision!

Other guitars like the Les Paul Custom are £1999.00, about $3000. So only $300 cheaper than a new one in Guitar Centre.

All this talk is making me want a new axe...NOW!!!

Matt

You have tasted England for sure!

Sadly it is considered racist by many people in England to promote the English flag and be nationalistic. I am unashamedly English!

I love Vaugham Williams, Benjamin Britten, Shakspeare, James Bond, Clapton, Alan Holdsworth, Julian Bream, The Beatles, The Stones, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Bowie, Ozzy Osbourne, Pink Floyd, English pubs and football :) LOL

Matt

The pub names being similar, the unspectacular-ness of Soho...yep :) completely agree there.

I always find Soho even now just run down and seedy!

Did you go to the legendary Denmark Street?

It is a tiny and slightly run down looking street near Leicester square but has umpteen guitar shops and has great rock and roll history! The long haired shop keepers always seem to be in the middle of a sandwich while a cigarette burns away in a near by ash tray LOL. Dare I say some of them seem a bit grumpy too!!

If you ever make it here again give us a call.

My wife and I run a guitar society and our whole lives are music!

Matt

Archived