Gibson Brands Forums

NGD soon...used Epiphone Wilshire Worn '66...

old mark

I had one of these in "Aged Cherry" a few years ago, and sold it...and soon wished I had kept it.

Just saw one for sale, in Ebony, last night online and bought it immediately...should have it late this week. Comes with a hard case, too, $225...

They are really good playing guitars with lots of sound and the Epi mini humbuckers are the best.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Designer/1966-Worn-Wilshire.aspx

More when I get it...

Just found from the seller - it's NOT a worn finish version, but a Wilshire Limited Edition Custom Shop, which probably makes it an older version, with the Alnico Classic and Alnico Classic Plus full size humbuckers... I have no experience with that model, but I'm really anxious to get it now...

Just found from the seller - it's NOT a worn finish version, but a Wilshire Limited Edition Custom Shop, which probably makes it an older version, with the Alnico Classic and Alnico Classic Plus full size humbuckers... I have no experience with that model, but I'm really anxious to get it now...

Nice find, I have a '66 wilshire in the worn cherry, they really are a fun instrument.

Probably the Wilshire Pro.

WilshirePRO_EB_Splash.jpg

They're cool guitars - kind of like a less edgy SG, with a somewhat thinner neck and better tuning stability.

t

Yeah, that's it...Full size Alnico humbuckers....had a communication problem with the seller, but we are good now...but it won't be here til Wednesday or so...IMO, this is a better guitar than I thought it was...

Dear Epiphone...you did it again - designed built and sold us a GREAT guitar...then stopped making it. This 2010 Wilshire is an incredible, versatile and great playing guitar...I guess that wasn't enough...Well, I'm keeping mine, anyway.

Hi All,

First post in the forum [smile]

I've recently purchased a 2011 "1966" Worn Wilshire with Trem-o-Tone in Worn Cherry, don't really know why they tried to tie to '66 as a '66 Wilshire didn't have a Trem-o-Tone vibrato, it had 6 inline strip tuners and a blank pointy truss rod cover, would have made more sense calling it a '66 Crestwood as it had a Trem-o-Tone.

I've since made a few modification, firstly I polished the body to a gloss (doesn't show up well in the photo) but came up really nice, added a set of 60's Kluson strip tuners, a period correct truss rod cover, a set of genuine Gibson 60's mini humbuckers, the wiring harness from a '65 Wilshire and replaced the modern Trem-o-Tone with a 60's maestro vibrola tailpiece (minus the handle) and added a set of original 60's knob pointers, left the roller bridge that came with it, it's probably better than an old ABR-1, same pickguard and modified the knobs to fit the 60's pots shafts.

I mounted the maestro using the same centre hole that the Trem-o-Tone used and it's a bit closer to the bridge than any photos I've seen of genuine 60's models but there doesn't seem to be a set distance as they vary a lot in the photos. So I essentially have a 1960's Wilshire.

post-85870-001802900 1497882079_thumb.png

Archived