Gibson Brands Forums

Q: Ernie Ball Coated Guitar Strings

T50

I only ever used Elixir and then only on acoustic. Sorry for being no help.

Whats your opinion on the elixir coated strings on your acoustic Homz?

I was searching for a bright sounding set for my acoustic.People sterred me to triy the Elixr nanoweb 80/20's

I bought a set on Friday,and they ok ,but I have played brighter sets for sure.

Whats your opinion on the elixir coated strings on your acoustic Homz?

I was searching for a bright sounding set for my acoustic.People sterred me to triy the Elixr nanoweb 80/20's

I bought a set on Friday' date='and they ok ,but I have played brighter sets for sure.[/quote']

I love them for my acoustic. My acoustic is over 30 years old and has an aluminum fret board and a fiberglass neck, but the Elixirs sound great on it. Perhaps they only sound great on a crappy Applause.

My only complaint is that after a few months they start to slough off the plastic coating.

I use Elixir on my J45RW (acoustic) only when it's house sittin'. Which is most of the time lately.

If I'm going to record, or do the Bluebird Cafe, or an acoustic solo gig I'll restring with 80/20's because they sound better. To me. But I've been gigging so much electric lead with a local band the last few years, the Elixirs do last longer on a guitar not played a lot.

I've never tried the Ernie Balls, but I do use their 10-46's (2221) on all the electrics.

I don't want any coated strings on my electrics. Ever.

Best of luck.

Murph.

The local music store owner gave me a set of the coated strings to try on my lap steel, and the low E amd A don't sound as good as the uncoated.

They seem rather flat sounding, like rusty or dirty old strings. He asked me to try them out and let him know what I thought, so that's what I plan to tell him.

They're supposed to have a much longer life than the regular strings, but if they sound old to start with, what's the gain?

I tried Cleartone 10-46 strings on my Variax and like them a lot. I will buy them again. They are very expensive ($15), but they do work as advertised and last a lot longer than other strings I've tried. They may not be worth it to professional, but they hold up well for me.

I've used Elixir llights (42-9) on the electric and love 'em.

I put some accoustic Elixirs on my old Ovation E/A Legend and frankly I think they're too bright, but play well.

It's so far for me to try to get to a guitar store and the choices are limited, I let myself get talked into another coated brand - can't even remember the name, but not memorable anyway - a cupla months ago. Lite gauge as I usually prefer on an electric. The guy in the store sez "they're better because they're not as slick as Elixirs." He was partly right. They're sandpapery and I dislike them for the same reason of his preference. Of course, since they were over $20, making the sale may have given him the selling points... Or they might make a better garrote than other guitar strings and the salesman has creepy thoughts. I dunno.

I do like the Elixirs mostly because, as has been mentioned, they don't sound as "guitary" on the low strings of an electric. Still jangly on an accoustic in lighter gauge. But there again, it's kinda a personal thing. I will say that.

Archived