Gibson Brands Forums

For the extreme nerds

E-minor7

Fascinating. Not knowing anything at all about harmonic content, I can only be amazed by such nuance.* I can certainly hear what's happening but don't think it makes a whole lot of difference for us cowboy chorders.

*......wouldn't fly in your world, huh Sal. [biggrin]

I love these videos! As an experiment, I spent a month a few years ago listening to nothing but microtonal piano pieces...initially everything sounded like a horror film soundtrack from hell, but after a week my ears and brain adjusted and I really appreciated the beauty of the notes between the notes between the notes.

The downside was that it took another six weeks to be able to appreciate the western scales again afterwards...normal music and instruments sounded INCREDIBLY flat and boring and elicited very little emotional response. I thought I'd broken myself! It was 'Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground' by Blind Willie McTell that finally pricked my ears up to non-microtonal music again.

Ask that video guy what time it is and he'll tell me instead how to build a clock- i'm with buc on this one cowboy chorders and old five and dimers like me are content with decent tuning.

Oh I don't know

Everything's ruined now after watching that video

I knew something was off in paperback writer , must be that harmonic . All these years I never knew.

Can this be the end of innocence? Nah. Just a mild dose of culture shock! Lots easier for me than taking an honest look in the mirror and contemplating the loss of my youth....

I love these videos! As an experiment, I spent a month a few years ago listening to nothing but microtonal piano pieces..on-microtonal music again.

Intriguing indeed. Goin' into radically different territory and adapting to it, tells a lot about how much taste and emotional as intellectual reaction is a cultural thing.

Western music as we know and love it might have a given relation to natural laws and math, but the way we connect - tho probably also by genes - isn't that simple.

I watched it

Need a lie down

Sorry to knock you horizontal, sensitive bbg – the picture of you on the couch with a wet copy of Irish Examiner over the forehead, sends me the same way.

Intriguing indeed. Goin' into radically different territory and adapting to it, tells a lot about how much taste and emotional as intellectual reaction is a cultural thing.

Western music as we know and love it might have a given relation to natural laws and math, but the way we connect - tho probably also by genes - isn't that simple.

Sorry to knock you horizontal, sensitive bbg – the picture of you on the couch with a wet copy of Irish Examiner over the forehead, sends me the same way.

Don't be reading Irish papers

Best one ever was a headline that read 'CORK MAN DROWNS'

I do thank you for the video

My attempts at humour shouldn't detract any way from the fascinating video

👍🏻

Archived