Gibson Brands Forums

A Dove love story

Jinder

Beautiful stories! Thankyou for sharing, Cabarone, and I hope another Dove comes your way soon. I love mine so much, they really are a unique and amazing guitar when you find "the one".

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but that is a rich story, I think you probably have enough material for a song or two.

I can certainly, like many others here relate to your words, especially in the present moment.

And ... I might be having my own Dove story soon, will keep you posted.

Late to the party here, too, but that’s my lot; and finding myself in a similar spot as Cabarone- need the $ for other things, and too much guitar equity-> some’ll have to (ought to) go. . .

EA- a possible Dove on the horizon? Easier for either of us to find than a nice (non-fire engine red, in my case) quilt Hummingbird? Remember, for some reason, Buc wasn’t feeling his Dove, and it went down the road. Why? Does the long scale lose the intimacy of the short scale Gibson?

Dare I wonder: if the Dove was such a nice combination of Gibson specs, why aren’t they more popular, and why wouldn’t Gibson be cranking them out to fill the need? Am definitely Dove curious, and will be looking to test drive one next weekend at Gary Burnett/Bee-3 Vintage’s Summer Philly Guitar Show.

Late to the party here, too, but that’s my lot; and finding myself in a similar spot as Cabarone- need the $ for other things, and too much guitar equity-> some’ll have to (ought to) go. . .

EA- a possible Dove on the horizon? Easier for either of us to find than a nice (non-fire engine red, in my case) quilt Hummingbird? Remember, for some reason, Buc wasn’t feeling his Dove, and it went down the road. Why? Does the long scale lose the intimacy of the short scale Gibson?

Dare I wonder: if the Dove was such a nice combination of Gibson specs, why aren’t they more popular, and why wouldn’t Gibson be cranking them out to fill the need? Am definitely Dove curious, and will be looking to test drive one next weekend at Gary Burnett/Bee-3 Vintage’s Summer Philly Guitar Show.

I've played a few and was never drawn to them although I really like the looks of the Doves in Flight

Does the long scale lose the intimacy of the short scale Gibson?

What a sentence – insightful and sensitive.

Though it may appear a little special, I know exactly what you mean.

No doubt about the Dove being a big guitar with the back'n'side wood providing an almost overpowering identity.

Maple-syrup flows thicker than various types of nectar - close to impossible to get out of the ears. So both pros and cons there.

Add to that the pick-guard plus the red colours and we have a monster. Maybe of the gentle kind, but still. .

If you go Dove you really gotta want it. It's a pricey instrument and the Gibson-repertoire is wide, the possibilities out there endless.

I tend to believe all this play in. Choosing a Dove is a serious decision.

Quite a lot can't see themselves do it – others try, but give up, , , some of them perhaps miss bite.

The rest – and they are not many – seem to stay in high altitude Dove-love forever.

Does the long scale lose the intimacy of the short scale Gibson?

[/url].

If you listened to my J-150 the answer would be a clear 'no'. This guitar can purr like kitten and be very gentle and subtle, but also has the horsepower to be an absolure rembling rocker.

If you listened to my J-150 the answer would be a clear 'no'. This guitar can purr like kitten and be very gentle and subtle, but also has the horsepower to be an absolure rembling rocker.

All my Gibsons are long scale, bar my '67 J45. I totally agree with EA that it doesn't detract from the intimacy...if anything I'd say that the long scale just adds more potential for dynamic range, it lends much greater headroom to most guitars.

My theory on the relative lack of popularity is thus:the Dove isn't a simple and forgiving instrument to play, it's rich, complex, bright and beautiful. Not the easiest to tame as it rewards accuracy, expertise and confidence from the player, and can be quite uncompromising and revealing. However, when tickled in the particular way that Doves require, there are few more dramatic and beautiful sounding instruments.

Something like a Mahogany 'Bird is a lot more forgiving and accommodating and requires less precision. I know my hog '41 Reissue SJ100 and my Maple SJ200 Standard are very different beasts. The 100 is a little quieter, sweeter with a roundness to the top end and a touch less sustain...a more polite sounding instrument than the 200 which is big, loud, dramatic and awash with overtones and chime. If the 100 is birdsong, the 200 is church bells.

I think there's also the historical consensus that Maple is an unusual choice of tonewoods on a dreadnought, probably because of the Martin association with dreads and the fact they rarely use Maple (and, in my experience, have never really nailed a great Maple instrument).

And, yet, a Maple dread is just glorious to my ears. Doves, Gospels (the original ones), Guild G37s, Epi Frontiers, Epi DR500P Masterbilts, they've all charmed me in their own ways.

I guess it's all in the ears and hands of the beholder.

Something like a Mahogany 'Bird is a lot more forgiving and accommodating and requires less precision.

Have to declare myself disagreeing with this particular line.

And wrote about it more than once back on these pages.

I see the clear and extraordinary note-separation of the Hummingbirds as a merciless revealer of flaws, mistakes and sloppiness.

For me it has to do with the slightly arch-top like dimension in the way the Bird projects. Not as roomy as the J-45, , , certainly not the Dove.

Tried to talk about this basic difference many times and have the feeling not everyone knows what where I'm at.

But in my perception there are different levels of projection, , , or depths if you like.

The H-bird is 'shallower', jazzier, than fx the F-bird, , , and as mentioned the Dove and slopes.

This is a huge factor regarding playing and the way the sound it received.

Quite intriguing topic. And a cardinal-point in the way I experience the Gibsons and others, , , scalloped as non-scalloped.

. . . and here I was in understanding agreement with EA and Jinder, as my perception of the bigger box of the superjumbo '100/150 seems to allow the sound to ruminate for a while, allowing the tone to mature, maybe lessening the volume, compared to other long scalers.

Hog hummingbird vs mahogany J-100? I can see what E may be saying, just as a guitar wearing a capo sweetens the sound and draws attention to it's notes. But the J-45 as a more roomy sound? The smaller body dimensions alone would seem to project the sound out & not allow that to be the case (?). But then again, Mr E's hearing in the past has picked up on some bizarre frequencies only heard by dogs of the canine persuasion.

But the J-45 as a more roomy sound?

Chaaaaa, maybe roomy can be misunderstood so let's say different kinds/natures/depths of projection.

It's generally heard in the contemporary G's and I think it comes across in this, should we call it almost-Board-classic - you'll remember.

Archived